PDA

View Full Version : “Island Day” WIP

mkillough
08-29-2003, 01:47 AM
“Island Day” WIP
I have started my second painting.
12x16 Strathmore Canvas-textured paper for practicing.

Palette of: Acrylics
Liquitex Value Series Student Grade paint:
Ultramarine blue, phthalocyanine green, burnt umber, titanium white, cadmium yellow medium hue, and cadmium red medium hue
Daler-Rowney:
Yellow Ochre

Photos taken with my Palm. Just learning it, too. Learned today not to “enhance” when you bring them over to the computer. It makes them smaller. Color was great before, anyway. The palm has great color photos and I can take a couple of hundred. My Olymus digital camera has to download after 22 pictures, before I can take more. However, you cannot zoom in with Palm.
First photo is from the 23rd. Just painted my colors in a bit. Some might think the image familiar. Image was from an old Print Shop Photo Postcard that I have had since the 80’s. I added a girl, and the bucket and shovel. This is just practice for myself, so I’m not worried about copyright.
Second photo is from today’s work… trying to do shadows… chair not too bad; shadows on sand bad. Will rework. I used titanium white, burnt umber and yellow ochre for the white of the chair. I used a greyed mixture of cad red med hue, cad yellow med hue, ultramarine blue. Haven’t worked the trees, water, or girl. Not sure of composition, but this is letting me get the feel of the paints, and mixing.
Also showing some pics of my “easel”. It is one of the heavy, solid wooden holders for wooden fold trays. It comes with 4 solid wood tray tables. I use the tables to set paints and tools on and use the holder as an easel. It is very sturdy, and I can lean extra canvas up behind it on the slotted areas that normally hold the tray tables. Price $30.00 at Walmart.
I am reading an article by Larry Seiler and one by Jackie Simmonds that is all about shadows. I am going to re-read them in the morning and go at it again. Having fun.

mkillough
08-29-2003, 01:48 AM
Today's work

mkillough
08-29-2003, 01:49 AM
Easle pic 1

mkillough
08-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Easle

mkillough
08-29-2003, 01:51 AM
Last pick of easel

Paintonbrush
08-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Good for you!
I can see your style coming along.
I like your easel but your studio is TOO CLEAN LOL
no paint on the wall or carpet? Its usually on my face as well.
Keep up the good work, I think it s great that you study too.
One of my fav books is
5 essentials in evry powerful painting by Ramon Kelley
Cheers
Diane

mkillough
08-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Hehehe... my study is "too clean" because I've only just begun. I do believe that once I get the hang of this color mixing... once the lightbulb comes on (as they say) I'll be slanging paint like everyone else.
Copied and pasted Kelly's book info into my reading list wordpad file. I truly do appreciate your taking the time to give me a boost and the book suggestion.
Mary

shirleyq
08-29-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm impressed with your industry............a great start on your painting, too:D

mkillough
08-29-2003, 11:47 PM
I didn't get to paint today. Husband loves my Palm Zire so much he wanted one for himself so we made a day of shopping, lunch, and more shopping. We stopped in the the local Townhall here in Seneca to look see who was showing. They show the work of local artist in various places about town. Ms. Louise Bell's work had been there, but now it is someone named Kathy Young. Very good watercolorest. I had plenty of time to enjoy her work.
Thank you again, Shirley. I have throughly enjoyed looking at your work. You are very, very good.

mkillough
09-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Anybody that remembers the first time they tried to paint sand feel free to comment. I am going to keep trying, but this is definitely not right. I know I'm not supposed to thank "sand", but instead see lights and darks, color. I have my shade areas too dark. I may have to paint it out and redo all of sand area.:eek:
I think tomorrow I will let the sand rest and work on the water. Here is todays work.

dollardays
08-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Mary--
You do pick some hard subjects for a beginner. LOL Sand and people!!! But I think it's important to paint what you like and you seem to like the outdoors with figures! (I followed you over here fom the critique forum and your first painting post)

I like this painting. It seems sunny, happy and uncomplicated. One thing I might recommend would be to start with the background first and work your way forward. It's much easier to paint OVER the background than it is to go in and try to paint sky and sea around leaves, people, etc. Consciously choose to make your background lighter than your foreground to create a sense of depth and atmosphere. Use less white and increase contrast as you work on the foreground.

And...Have a wonderful time exploring the world of paint!

Nora (wishing I was retired and could paint all day, too. :) )

mkillough
08-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi, Nora.
Wow! This one seems like a long time ago. I finally finished it, and it now has a home on a tourist boat docked at Carolina Beach Marina.
I've learned a bit since then, but have sooo much more to learn. I am having great fun, though. Thank you for your tips. I admire your work very much.
:wave:

Artguy29
08-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Looking good so far. The Liquitex Basics Value Series are excellent paints to start with. They really give you the feel of acrylics. I'll be watching this one,

Dave

sassybird
08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
You are coming along very well with this painting. You do have a nice composition that allows the eye to flow around the painting easily.

mkillough
08-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi, Sassybird and Artguy29 thank you for the comments. :wave:
I finished (or stopped painting) this one this spring. Its no longer with me, but I had taken a pic of it just before packing it.
Sorry about the glare. :(
Now, I've learned to get photos of the finished work BEFORE framing.

BRIDGES
08-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Make that bucket bright red or yellow. Canvas is bright. Water in background should not be same tonal quality as foreground. Lighten back to recede..distance Add some whites to your sand...ever see white Florida sands...also Pale blues,,YES..Bridges

mkillough
08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Thank you, Bridges. You are absolutely right.
But the sand color was from a photo; and I thought it was such bright, pretty sand; different from our east coast beaches, that I decided to use it.
Of course; I have to pull off "painting sand', too. But, that is how to learn.
I'm like an art agent: knowing a great deal about art; but, how many art agents paint? And, how many wish, wish, wish they could?
Have a great day. :)

coherent
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
It looks like you got the sand color very close to your refrence photo! The finished framed work came out great... looks like it should be hanging in a cabana or sun room in Florida to me!
-marc

mkillough
08-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Thank you, Marc. It is hanging in the salon of a tourist boat. One of those that stay parked at the marina, and take people out for a run out into the ocean, through the Snows Cut, up the Cape Fear River, and back.
Have a great day. :)