PDA

View Full Version : The Collectors - plus

sundiver
08-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally these 3 kids were in the same photo, but I took out the teenager and put her by herself.(That's why the backgrounds are so similar)
I just love this place when the tide goes out. It was hothot that day but a gentle refreshing breeze was blowing from offshore. I wanted to capture the calm, the sun, and how inviting the beach is for a long leisurely stroll. I'm not sure I succeeded; it looks a little rough and sketchy.
They are both 8x10 oil pastels on primed (with pumice gesso tinted brown) watercolor paper(girl) and mattboard(boys), and all critiques and comments are welcome.
Thanks for looking!
This one is skewed to the right because of the way I put it on the scanner.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2003/6393-thecollectors.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2003/6393-julieatteahill.jpg

angecald
08-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Wendy, these are both absolutely gorgeous! You've caught the beach atmosphere perfectly. I could look at these all day long.

Dyin
08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
love seeing some op work...you did good having the girl seperate...nice stand alone shot...I like how the beach sand fades off in hers, gives it more distance than the boy's version...she's a little less worked and I like that too...but the boys detail brings out a sunny day look...the pail with her is a nice touch...:clap:

jackiesimmonds
08-29-2003, 02:50 AM
Lovely atmosphere in both of these. However, the sandbars are a wee bit distracting, because in the first one certainly, the sizes and spaces are so similar, and the colours too.

I feel it would help to give a better sense of recession, and improve the composition too, if the sandbars closer to the viewer were wider, and if the sandbars gradually cool a little more in temperature as they recede.

The figures in both pics, are really good, to my eye.

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Love these Wendy...... the reflections are excellent :clap:

meowmeow
08-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Oh yes...you have captured that hot, beachy day! JAckie made a good point...although I think they do work as they are they might be even better using her suggestion.
Excellent figures. Really nice work!

Sandy

E-J
08-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Wendy, I especially love the figure of the girl in your second picture ... the highlights on her legs, her reflection, and the way she fits in with the colours of the scene. It wasn't clear to me at first that the object on the sand was a bucket ... that might just be me :rolleyes: Anyway, they're lovely pictures. 8x10, eh ... you're really larging it up these days ;) :)

sundiver
09-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments! Sorry I took so long to respond-I was gone for the long weekend.
Jackie, as usual you are bang on! I see exactly what you mean.
E-J, I blurred that bucket because it seemed distracting. But maybe it's TOO blurry and could use a highlight along the side.
The one with the boys just sold, but I still have it and will give those farthest sandbars some depth.
Thanks again! :)

Mo.
09-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Wendy.. I must have missed these beauties somehow, the threads seem to move down the page so quickly these days... you know how much I admire your work, these two are so different to what you usually show us... I for one love what you have done.. hope you do more :clap:

Mo.:)

Mikki Petersen
09-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Beautiful work Wendy! Jackie makes a good point about the sand bars but since one has already sold, you could probably tuck the info away for next time. Good job on what, to me, would be a tough subject.