PDA

View Full Version : Art Spectrum Paper

Elaine
08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi all,
I would like to underpaint using a wet medium on Art Spectrum Colourfix Paper, and since this is the first time I have used the paper, I don't know if I should stretch the paper and/or tape it to a board first before I do this. Anyone had any experience with this paper and can give me advice????

:confused:
Elaine

CarlyHardy
08-28-2003, 09:43 PM
When you say underpaint....do you mean watercolor? or other wet medium? I don't think you can do that with the ArtSpectrum. You might try a small piece and find out what the result would be before you try a larger piece.

You can do a wet underpainting with Wallis paper....its designed to be used with wet mediums as well as dry.
carly

cjkelly
08-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi Elaine,
My Tinyhead is actually an acrylic painting on Art Spectrum Colourfix paper. I used both washes, and impasto palette knife work, finishing off with oil pastels. I securely taped the dry paper to a board first, and the results have been fine. I left the painting on the board for quite some time before removing it with hardly discernable buckling. It was a great experiment. If you are not sure, then try as suggested - just a small piece first.
Good Luck!
:)

cj

Kathryn Wilson
08-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi Elaine: I have taped Art Spectrum to a board and used some watercolor - I did not totally soak the paper like you would with a watercolor paper.

Nice to see another North Carolinian posting!

Elaine
08-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks Kyle, CJ, and Carly for the advice on the Art Spectrum paper. I will tape the paper to a board before I begin the underpainting. I want to underpaint with contrasting pastels and use water over them before I do the top layers in dry pastels. I tried this once with Canson paper, and, much to my surprise, the underpainting filled the tooth so much that I had a hard time getting the dry pastels on the paper. I've tried Wallis paper with an ink underpainting and did tape it down on a board for that. The wet part went fine, but I want to have some of the paper show through in places, and Wallis paper has so much tooth that it's hard to do that. Maybe Art Spectrum will be the right paper for me!:clap:

Elaine

Laura Shelley
08-29-2003, 07:12 PM
I have used the Art Spectrum primer on bristol board and watercolor paper. I mixed a fair amount of acrylic, probably about 50-50, with the primer to tint it and reduce the toothiness somewhat--this wasn't the unadulterated product.

This more or less waterproofed the paper. I laid down Nupastel and ran a wet brush over it for my initial layer. Everything stayed relatively flat--the primer itself rippled the paper a tad, but nothing too awful, since I coated both sides to even everything out.

(Hi, I'm new. First post!)

Mo.
08-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Elaine.. Hi there, I've used a wash on Art spectrum with no problem, although not a water based wash, I used turps and oil pastels, it's a pretty strong support, so as suggested above try it out with a scrap piece first of all... I don't think you will have any problems though..:)

Madame Manga... Welcome:).. your nick conjures up all sorts of visions.:D

Mo.:)

Laura Shelley
08-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Madame Manga... Welcome:).. your nick conjures up all sorts of visions.:D

Mo.:)

Hello! Not to hijack the thread, but yes, I'm kind of a fangirl among other things. :)

I ought to try things out on scraps as suggested--I usually waste a whole sheet of paper on my experiments!

MM

Katherine J
08-29-2003, 10:56 PM
My mother-in-law has painted with gouache on Art Spectrum and it wasn't even stretched as far as I remember. It looked fine. It wasn't an underpainting, it was THE painting!

Katherine