PDA

View Full Version : Suede, color theory, and right colors..

IndigoRed
08-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Hello all, long time no post i know, but i have been very busy, working on my new projects and aparently learning pastels all over again :o .

Heres the thing, and a cool thing it is:D . I just recieved tons of suede board for pastel painting. And the colors are just fabulous , some ive never worked before. Theres burgandy , dark muave, deep tan like a deep earth orange, medium to dark grey, black, lilac, and a deep green.

Now my question is. How to use choose the right subject for all these differant colored supports?! I tried painting a red rose on black, did not work well, but i tried painting a yellow rose on black and it turned out well, with the supports color helping bring out certain details. I have to admit that i have been an artist for quit some time but i have only been working with color for a year now. It took me a bit to get used to color theory when it pertained to the mediums i was using, and most usually those supports used were underpainted in umber, or grey. but pastels on this suede stuff is turning out to be somewhat translucent not opaque like they would be on regular pastel paper. which means you can 8 times out of 10 see the color of this suede through the pastels. Well of course unless you use layer apon layer, but then ya start getting that chalky look, not good.

Right now my only concern is painting roses, for a collection that is supposed to be sold in the next couple weeks. And most of my roses are, red, yellow, lavender (in color) , and most of these are gradiants from white to red on the outside, and then visa versa. Yellows not giving me much of a problem, its the reds.

Ive never had to worry about the colors of my supports before, because usually they were totally covered with paint.

Ok am i rambling and semi panicing for nothin, or do i now need to learn color theory of supports and how to manipulate them with my pastels??

:confused:

Sigh .................anyways, if anyone can help, it would greatly appreciated. im gonna go experiment, maybe ill figure out something .........
Thanks bunches

Stephanie

IndigoRed
08-28-2003, 07:59 PM
forgot to add, i am using, cretacolor stick pastels, derwent pastel pencils, rembrandts,

But i will be getting these in a week,

carbothellos, faber castells pitt pastel pencils, and van goghs pastel pencils.

maybe one of those brands will act differantly with the suede...................

Hopefully :D

jackiesimmonds
08-29-2003, 03:03 AM
I am curious about your comment "then you get that chalky look, not good".

To my eye, if a pastel DOESN'T have a chalky look, it is missing something! I like to see the look of the medium in the work.

If your pastels are appearing to look "transparent", then I would think the layers are a bit thin, and that seems a shame. The finished pic might end up looking - well - unfinished! And a bit tentative.

Why not cut a strip from each of your sheets of board, so that you have a whole range of coloured strips to work with, about 1" wide. Along each strip, "paint" a small square, or blob, of each of the pastel colours you like to work with, doing as many patches of colour as you can. In this way, you will get some sense of what happens to that colour on that ground.

As a general rule of thumb......

Similar colour ground, and pastels, will give you colour harmony.

Complementary colour ground will give drama and interest, but if your pastel strokes are so thin that they are transparent, then you may "muddy" the pastel colour by using a complementary ground.

Dark grounds will give impact to light pastel strokes.

Light grounds work best with light-coloured images.

Cool colours tend to work well under warm pictures, and vice versa.

My general advice would be to ensure that you DO use your pastels in a way which covers the board with a good layer of pastel, and start thinking "chalky is good".

J

IndigoRed
08-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Never mind, ive stopped painting. Please remove me from the WC forums please.

Thank You.

My email address is no longer available either.

Nikolai the Late
08-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by srw2034
Never mind, ive stopped painting. Please remove me from the WC forums please.

Thank You.

My email address is no longer available either.

Huh?! I don't think anyone expected that.

Today is turning out to be a wierd day.

The world seems pretty strange to me when whatever it is I think I see becomes a tootsie roll to me.

PCool
08-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Blame the weirdness on Mars.

jgarroyo
08-29-2003, 01:44 PM
The world seems pretty strange to me when whatever it is I think I see becomes a tootsie roll to me.
mmmm, tootsie rolls.

nancymae
08-29-2003, 01:56 PM
That is too bad that Stephanie has quit.....I hope it was a joke and not serious...but if you are reading this Stephanie...please do not quit painiting...your style will come out...and problems will be ironed out....just play with your pastels....don't worry too much about rules at this stage (although Jackie gave some excellent ideas for ground colors!!). If you are getting frustrated...look at some of the great work here in this forum....I recently saw a beautiful horse done on black suede....I can't remember who though, but it was this week.

If things don't work out...you will learn from your mistakes. Just keep on plugging away!!! You will "get it". Art is one of those things that you will ALWAYS get better with more practice!!!

Come back and join in the fun!! We are forever learners!!

Nancy