PDA

View Full Version : velour paper

Artistammy
08-28-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm just finishing a Calla lily painting on black velour paper. I intended to sell it on eBay but I'm concerned about too much pastel dust falling off in transit. I'm going to spray it with fixative. Has anyone sold & shipped paintings on velour paper before? Did you get any complaints afterwards? Any hints?
Thanks.

Craig Houghton
08-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Artistammy
I'm just finishing a Calla lily painting on black velour paper. I intended to sell it on eBay but I'm concerned about too much pastel dust falling off in transit. I'm going to spray it with fixative. Has anyone sold & shipped paintings on velour paper before? Did you get any complaints afterwards? Any hints?
Thanks.

In this thread there's some good all-around discussion as well as an especially important horror story involving rough handling of a velour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105244&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I've sold a velour pastel on ebay and shipped it. I find that a fixatives fixing power seems mightier on velour, and once fixed I've found they don't seem all that frail. Before then, a flick against the back will delayer in a blink.

When I shipped I made sure the work was sandwiched tightly between a board and a matboard swatch. It must have taken them an hour to de-mummify the piece.

btw, i love black velour -- it makes just about anything impossibly dramatic. there's something about the way it absorbs light.

Hope this helps,
Craig

Artistammy
08-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Craig,
Yes, it does help. I had already read the other thread from a search I did. Do you mean you put the matboard over the whole pastel & fastened it tightly to a board (what kind?) so it couldn't move? I've put a mat or foamcore mat before but with the hole cut out. It seems better after I put fixative but I'm not going to thump it to make sure. lol

CarlyHardy
08-28-2003, 09:49 PM
I shipped several small paintings done on velour last winter. Had no problems with them at all and they were not fixed. I simply added foamcore to the back and strips of foamcore around the painting image...then a sheet over the top. Sort of a foamcore sandwich. This way nothing came in contact with the image until the foamcore was removed. I taped the edges with a note at each piece of tape to "clip here carefully".

carly

Craig Houghton
08-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Artistammy
Craig,
Yes, it does help. I had already read the other thread from a search I did. Do you mean you put the matboard over the whole pastel & fastened it tightly to a board (what kind?) so it couldn't move? I've put a mat or foamcore mat before but with the hole cut out. It seems better after I put fixative but I'm not going to thump it to make sure. lol

Over the entire thing after covering the velour with newsprint (anything fairly slick will do I'm told). This way there is pressure on the piece. Once there's a sandwich things seem pretty immune to the knocks and bumps. And yes, so that it could move. This way there is gentle stationary pressure. THe board was a thin masonite style board upon which i secured the piece. Even when I transport works from location to location I sandwich them between a board and another board (seperated from each other and the board by newsprint or pallete paper).

-Craig

Cool_Brittany
08-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I recently tried velour and love it. but I am afraid to promote it because of shipping or transporting the work. I will try spraying one. How about if it is framed and being moved around for display. I would also be afraid of others handling them after the sale. One wrong move and their painting could vanish!