PDA

View Full Version : Painting practice... (wip)

Wingnut
08-28-2003, 07:49 AM
I'm still trying to work out the background on Team Hilltop, so meanwhile I've been doing a little brushwork practice elsewhere...

This is the same Belgian standing on the left in Team Hilltop, he's such a pretty thing I have to paint him! Its not a great painting. His shoulder turned out nice, but it got lost in the flash glare. I need to fix his nose (again! :rolleyes: ) the lack of shadow on the end makes it look like a profile shot, but if you look at his forehead you can see that its supposed to be nearly a 3/4. It also makes his nose look too big, but its an optical illusion, if I get it right it looks better. I haven't even started on his mane, forelock, and blaze yet. Also, the original background I had was a disaster, so this dark blue was just a last minute cover-up. Like I said... ;) practice! I'll probably quit messing with it in a day or two :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2003/5883-wingsbelheadoil001.jpg
16x20 oil on canvas board

Peggy Gross
08-28-2003, 07:56 AM
You know what they say.........................practice makes perfect.

Keep going, this will be a keeper I think

Peggy G

rewston
08-28-2003, 09:15 AM
this is looking great, better than my pathetic attempts heh. i can never get backgrounds right either*sigh*
i like this, youve got the colours and proportions right and its looking great! dont give up on it!(lol. though i shouldnt really talk about that, i never finished paintings)

katy

Phranque
08-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Hi Katie,

Good start. I know this is going to look great, I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.

BTDogMom
08-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Knowing u and yer work, Wingnut, this is gonna b a stunner.:clap:

pencils4me
08-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Katie, :eek:

Ohhhhhhhhhh no........ now my image of you is blown!!!! ACK how can Wingnut have a normal name???!:crying: :crying: :evil:

*chuckles*

I envy you playing with your oils - so far you have already said everything I can see from here. Show me more!!!!

geesh seems like you been busy on the keyboard or sumthing monkey.........

:D

TJ

Wingnut
08-29-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by pencils4me
:eek:

Ohhhhhhhhhh no........ now my image of you is blown!!!! ACK how can Wingnut have a normal name???!:crying: :crying: :evil:

Katie who? :confused: lol! :D

Thanks Peggy, Katy, Frank, BT and TJ :)

Hubby finally looked at it today... and hates the blue background :rolleyes: so I guess I'll have to mess with that some more too. I'm letting it all dry a bit for a day or two, that blue gets into everything! Then I'll probably just do a thin coat of white and make the background sorta sky blue or something. I can't wait to do the mane :D I think its going to be his best feature. ;)

impetuous
08-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Hi there Wing! (or is that Katie?:D) I guess I must have been away from WC for too long because I have absolutely NO idea what or who Team Hilltop is/are??? (will have to do a word search in a min)
But this is great! He looks one mighty fine and mighty strong horsey! Looking forward to seeing this progress:)

Phranque
08-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Oops sorry K.T.:D

Wingnut
08-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by impetuous
I guess I must have been away from WC for too long because I have absolutely NO idea what or who Team Hilltop is/are??? (will have to do a word search in a min)

Hay Imp! :D How's da cows? Here's a link to Team Hilltop (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124909) not much to see there yet, so its been shuffled off to page 3 already. Its basically a picture of the horse above's other end :o along with a sleepy friend. I'll get back to it here hopefully this weekend, I also have to finish the one above, and put the last finishing touches on Spit n' Polished (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96784&highlight=spit%20polished) so I feel like I'm FINISHING things instead of just plugging along :rolleyes: I have so many ideas I want to start, but I don't dare until I get this stuff done and out of the way!

Oops sorry K.T. :D

ROFL! ;)

LarrySeiler
08-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Peggy Gross
You know what they say.........................practice makes perfect.

Keep going, this will be a keeper I think

Peggy G

hahaha...I've actually come to say this ole quote another way now and that is, "PERFECT practice makes perfect!"

People can practice imperfection and error till they get that down well also! hahaha

Attitude is key throughout....

This is a fine work in progress Wingnut....and holy smokes such dominant blue background. Will be interesting to see what you do with shadows and such on the horse in light of such atmosphere.

Larry

Wingnut
08-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by LarrySeiler

..and holy smokes such dominant blue background. Will be interesting to see what you do with shadows and such on the horse in light of such atmosphere.

T'was the point of the decision to get rid of it. ;)

Not to mention the fact that Lugnut's opinion does matter occationally :rolleyes: (okay so Hubby tends to have an annoyingly honest opinion - it could be worse)

Anywho... I'm done messing with it for the moment. The background still sucks, but perhaps slightly less (OH NO! the light on the hills is @ss-backwards!! :o &$$#@!) If I spend one more minute hashing up the mane-gone-awry I'm going to O.D. on beer nuts and cry :p so there!

Good thing it was just practice ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/5883-wingsbelheadoil002.jpg

impetuous
09-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Wing, it looks great! ...wouldn't even have noticed those hills unless you'd said. He (presuming it's a he!) is such a hunk, heavy horses are just gorgeous. Love the dappling and depth in the shoulder. And this is just a practice???!!!
Re: Team Hilltop ...they are lovely, really looking forward to this one developing, and the Persiions/Pershons/Per...../them European Breed are looking great too. It's really interesting watching the dapples form, and I really don't envy you with all the shiny stuff going on!:eek:
As for the cows ...ask me in another month or so and the answer will be much more polite!! (in the middle of calving!!!):D

crazeejumper
09-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I think it looks excellent, Wingy. He looks so thoughtful. :clap: