PDA

View Full Version : Portrait - Marilyn Monroe

ShealynElisabeth
10-10-2012, 07:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2012/1138992-Marilyn_Monroe,_WIP.jpg

This was originally going to be part of a set of portrait drawings (Marilyn, Audrey Hepburn, and Dita von Teese) But I changed my mind and decided to use three different pictures of these girls and this one doesn't quite fit with the rest. So I'll finish this and work on the others when I can.

Any comments about this would be appreciated. Figured I would upload a WIP and got feedback before I finished it or got too far to want to change everything.

Andrewcody
10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
The eye on the left is quite flat and a little too close to the bridge of the nose. The mouth is also flat.
The face is curved and all the features follow those contours generally.
Hair line on the right ends quite abruptly
You need to carry the curve of the cheek and the jawline around and up before the ear on the right
Nice pencil work
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
10-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Do you have a reference photo so that we can perhaps help a little more? I agree with Andrew and also think there is something a little off with the mouth position under the nose, and the shadow above the middle of the mouth. It appears to cause the nose and mouth to be out of normal alignment. I know it isn't finished yet so I am assuming you are still going to detail the hair more and the earring etc. I like what you have done so far, nice work. There is a likeness beginning! Keep going. Cheers =)) Debs.

ShealynElisabeth
10-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Oh of course! (BTW, thank you for your comments so far! Definitely looking to improve the drawing.)

Reference Image:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2012/1138992-Marilyn_Monroe.jpg

Trumper
10-12-2012, 05:18 PM
:) A quick comparison,in your drawing the eyes look slightly uneven in height to me,maybe left eye as you look at the drawing slightly too high .

ShealynElisabeth
10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
The problem is that I drew the right one too low...I don't know if I really want to fix it though, because I don't want to ruin the drawing as it's already dark there...

Andrewcody
10-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Draw it again SE

Andrew

Tzipora
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Just wanted to first off give you a compliment as I just wrote a long critique of your Amy Lee drawing. In that critique I spoke of if you work from photos again, find one with more contrast and I see you did. I knew you'd do even better with deeper shading and you made an excellent start here in terms of that! I'm excited for you because you've got a lot of potential with portraits. I do recommend that sometime you try to draw from life, even if the only model you have is yourself, just look in a mirror. Getting some portrait from life experience will really help when you work from photos. I saw in your profile that you're looking to go to art school and working from models is something you will do a lot in art school and something some art schools really like to see in a portfolio, along with original compositions versus artwork from photos. But good art from photos definitely still has a place in a portfolio. also helpful will be doing more more "normal" aka non-celebrities who aren't so heavily made up. You're really great with clothing and jewelry and again, the necklace here, those pearls stand out lovely and I'm sure with more work the same goes for the earrings.

I do agree with all the others have said as far as the eyes, hairline, following the contours of the turned face. Watch the shadows on the nose. She's got a tricky looking nose in your reference with some interesting contours and shadow going on there. I suspect that will be somewhat difficult but careful attention should make it look great.

Are you still working on this, have you started over? I'd be curious to see where you're at now with it. :)