PDA

View Full Version : Strangs habits or superstitions

jgarroyo
08-27-2003, 11:59 PM
hi,
wondering if anyone has certain habits or rituals they go thru before or after creating? i never realized until my wife asked, that i always have a glass of milk after i'm done for the day. if i don't have a glass of milk when i take a break, she knows i'm going to keep working, knows that i'm done when i have the glass. she asked about it, and i told her i have no idea why. she says i've been doing it since we got married. asked my mother, and she told me i've done it since college, but did'nt think anything wierd about it. now that i'm aware of it, i wonder if i'll continue doing it!

Tamana
08-28-2003, 07:56 AM
I like to splatter chicken blood on my cardboard or wood prior to painting.

marc
08-28-2003, 08:54 AM
ROFLMAO!

Tamtam - is that what they teach you at bible school? :evil:

Stoy Jones
08-28-2003, 10:35 AM
I think I'm quite unpredictable in my habits due to the mediums I choose, although my wife has commented that she knows when I'm serious or driven about something when I start working straight out of bed in the morning. I admit to doing that, but that is quite ocassional in itself, since I'm normally quite fuzzy-headed first thing and need a cup of coffee.

Stoy Jones

Pilan
08-28-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm calling PETA! :eek:

Originally posted by Tamana
I like to splatter chicken blood on my cardboard or wood prior to painting.

RobinZ
08-28-2003, 02:37 PM
No rituals. Having witnessed the very bizarre rituals of high school hockey players....and the lack of results from them....not into rituals.

christinabella
08-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I didn't think I was ritualistic, and now I am wondering.

If I start a painting listening to a certain tape, I will continue to do so until the painting is finished. Then I will place the pic face to the wall and ignore it for several days. After that, I might show it, might not.

Interesting thread.

heh
08-28-2003, 10:50 PM
i always leave the first page or two of a sketchbook blank
donít want someone to look and have expectations for the rest of the book
good or bad
if they expect nothing i canít do any worse than that

somewhat of an anti-ritual; if possible, i donít like music to be playing

marc
08-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by heh
i always leave the first page or two of a sketchbook blank
donít want someone to look and have expectations for the rest of the book
good or bad

I like this.. I have troubles breaking in new sketchbooks because I want the first drawing to be representative of something good.. gonna try this trick for myself ;)

Tamana
08-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by marc
ROFLMAO!

Tamtam - is that what they teach you at bible school? :evil:

No. :angel: It's a hobby! :D

christinabella
08-29-2003, 10:41 PM
I dunno , Tam, you must be really good; I've never gotten past entrails, myself, and they're so---so---well---- OBVIOUS , that, like, little kids can do it.

When I grow up, I wanna be as good as you:D

(Do you use free-range or regular, and will just any board do?

gillyvu
08-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Mute the television when it angers me! Turning it off, or changing the channel... why would I do that?

Plan out my day, but never ever follow the plan, ever.

Tamana
08-31-2003, 03:20 PM
Christina - LOL.

Maffet
09-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Gill ... the same with plans :-)

I dont want to admit ... but I must. I do big pot of white indian tea with milk and spice, than turn some instrumental music and draw the curtains. It's because during school days I worked mainly at night and I had better focus on object. My brain just thinks... there is a night ... it's time to work. So even if there is a bright sunny day I always have dark room with curtains on during any working

Sashalynn
09-01-2003, 08:24 PM
I didnt think I had any but then I thought about it and realized that I have to have music on. And the last three and half weeks or so it has been the same CD!!!
I used to be able to have the TV on but I just cant do that now, maybe it is a phase, but it has to be music and it almost always has to be the same CD. Ive listened to others but it just isnt the same.

dd50
09-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Stoy Jones
I think I'm quite unpredictable in my habits due to the mediums I choose, although my wife has commented that she knows when I'm serious or driven about something when I start working straight out of bed in the morning. I admit to doing that, but that is quite ocassional in itself, since I'm normally quite fuzzy-headed first thing and need a cup of coffee.

Stoy Jones

Hmmm?? I do this allot ...

I'll get up as soon as (or before) the sun, and go right to the computer and start drawing ... there's just some days that I can't wait to start .... that's not every day ... but some days.

Dee

Dyin
09-03-2003, 12:24 AM
I sit where I can see my art because I live in a small space...if I do not turn the painting I cannot leave it alone...I will jump up every few seconds or minutes to adjust something...I really truly can only be done if I can't see it...have spent hours this way but once I sign it I don't make any more adjustments...so this is habit, not ritual...

DanaT
09-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Hmmm, I can't listen to music when I paint. Its too distracting. But I wonder, does exposing these rituals make them lose some of their power? I mean the whole thing about them is that they're private.

taffetta
09-04-2003, 07:12 AM
i listen to music, but whatever type of music i put on to start with, i isten to that type of music for the duration.
I've been doing a triptych, so i've been listening to the same stuff for a few weeks now, good job i like it or i would have gone nuts by now.

Keith Russell
09-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Rarely, occasionally, I have finished a painting 'early' in the day.

That being the case, I might work on matting, framing, filing, or other things for the rest of the day.

But, once I've completed a piece, I do no more drawing or painting during the remainder of that day.

K

schultz
09-15-2003, 04:44 PM
I usualy have a large coffy or tea with me I love peice and quiet but when there is not I try to drown it out with music.dont realy have habits I always keep doing lots of paintings at the one time while one is drying I do another If the firt isent dry I start sketching another.that reminds me any one know where to get a good quality huge sketch book.:D

bjcpaints
04-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, I can't listen to music when I paint. Its too distracting. But I wonder, does exposing these rituals make them lose some of their power? I mean the whole thing about them is that they're private.

I stumbled across this thread and just had to bump it up to the front. I would tell my secret ritual, but now Dana has me afraid of losing its power!
Barbara

vhere
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
any one know where to get a good quality huge sketch book.:D

Jackson's, Great Art etc - mail order or online.

How big is huge? A1? A2? They certainly do up to A2. You could always make your own - that way you can choose the paper(s).

aderfla
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
I like this.. I have troubles breaking in new sketchbooks because I want the first drawing to be representative of something good.. gonna try this trick for myself ;)

I had the same problem but saw a little trick my mentor did. I tear a page out of my previous sketchbook and put it on the first page (I take a photo copy and put it in the last page of the sketchbook I took the page from). That way it becomes a bridge between the two sketchbooks.

glad I am not the only one having trouble with new sketchbooks.

alfreda

vhere
04-16-2005, 09:20 AM
I do this with any I cut out to frame/sell - I scan it onto the computer and stick the printed page in its place, it keeps the information for the future.

I like the idea of the bridge.

Anita Murphy
04-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Just came across this forum and this thread - I have come to recognise that I do this "avoid-getting-started-dance" in the morning when I come in to paint. First I check WC - that can take hours - probably end up in the chat room for a good while too!! I can then dawdle about, doing anything to avoid starting. I have to have music while I paint, somehow helps deal with frustration/block. Wish I could be more focused as I lose hours of paint time! :rolleyes:

Spaces
04-20-2005, 01:42 AM
"...I always have a glass of milk..." __ jgarroyo

Unless there are some hidden issues about "milk" then maybe Trytophan has something to do with it.

"I like to splatter chicken blood on my cardboard or wood prior to painting." __ Tamana

I think something a little stronger than milk would be required in your case. By the way, are you an admirer of Soutine's work?

"I always leave the first page or two of a sketchbook blank..." __ heh

Not that uncommon, an issue of process and projection. That 'marc' wants the initial drawing to be good illustrates this. There are other variations with some bordering on mania.

"...and draw the curtains." __ Maffet

I'm tempted to ask something risque but I will refrain. It's somewhat like the "circle" of protection.

"...it has been the same CD!!!"__Sashalynn

Also not uncommon. The singular aspect of the external information serves as a thether and complement of the individuals single-mindedness toward the work. By viewing your works overall perhaps some correspondences could be noted.

"...does exposing these rituals make them lose some of their power? __ DanaT

That would depend on how long the ritual has been employed.

Personally, life itself seems like the premier ritual and we section therefrom. Mimicry or defense mechanism---difficult to say.

Spaces