PDA

View Full Version : Easel position - Vertical vs Horizontal

Peter G
08-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Good morning
Can we discuss the merits of easel positions when working.
I have tried painting with the easel in both the vertical and horizontal poisitions and must say I prefer to work at a drafting board with my work on a slight incline.
Is there a specific reason most artists work on the vertical or is mainly tradition or preference
Lokk forward to your comments
Regards
Peter G

artistjan
08-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Interesting question!

Good morning to you too - even though it is 10pm here!

I find when my canvas is vertical I work bigger and faster; when horizontal I get more finicky and detailed because i get closer to the work.

Recently I have preferred vertical because my perspective tends to be off when I have it flat - seems obvious that I should have realised it before, but I only noticed it last week :rolleyes:

Now let's see what the real artists think!

gnu
08-27-2003, 11:51 PM
h hmm..well real artist, I dunno, but I couldn't wait to get an easel after painting 6 mnths flat..
saves my aching back as I really prefer to stand and paint..
If I'm doing Watercolour I work flat, or if very detailed acrylic I'll sit at the easel , otherwise the easel is my most useful companion..plus somewhere to keep the painting safe while drying..and view in between sessions so I can 'ponder' the next step!!:D:D
also..my easel wouldn't go flat, I don't think :D:D

turri
08-28-2003, 12:45 AM
I prefer painting to vertical canvas for several reasons.

My apartment is really small and there is no space to waste. Therefore I set up a easel to the corner of room, where it takes least space. I painted couple of paintings on the table, but I always had to first make room for that :) Now that I have easel always on its own place, I can start painting easier.

I find it easier to step couple steps back and check the painting from distance, when working vertical.

Keith Russell
08-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Drafting table (not easel), 36 x 47 1/2 inches, 40 degree angle.

I've had it for about a month now, and even though I have a drafting chair the proper height, I've taken to drawing and painting standing up, something I've never done before...

K

Marty C
08-28-2003, 02:07 AM
I prefer standing up and using a vertical easel.
I do have a double layer of old carpet underfoot though to ease my aching back!

It seems easier to get the whole work in perspective when working vertically, just step back a little, have a critical look and then go at it again.

asmith38
08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
When I first started painting, I would use a piece of plywood on my lap (you can laugh, I don't mind;) ). Then I got an easel for Christmas. One thing, when I was painting practically horizontally, I would sometimes get my right elbow over something freshly painted (I'm right handed). This does not happen with the vertical easel. But, habits being hard to change, I do find that I have more control for detail work with a horizontal plane.

If I could, I would plaint standing over my piece, but that's just impossible with my back status.

talkingbanana
08-28-2003, 04:01 PM
I used an easel for the first time this past spring, and I got my own for the first time this summer, so I'm using it all the time just because I can. :angel: Except for the really small stuff, though . . .

jimb
08-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Marty C
I prefer standing up and using a vertical easel.
I do have a double layer of old carpet underfoot though to ease my aching back!

It seems easier to get the whole work in perspective when working vertically, just step back a little, have a critical look and then go at it again.

Ditto.. Even down to the carpet.
I need to step back every now and again to see my work from a distance. I'm also fortunate enough to have my studio where I can go down a hallway and get a good 20-foot away look.
Also, I think it's important to stand so I don't get too fussy right away. If I need detail, then I'll use my mahl stick.

Leslie Pz
08-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Easel, at about a 60 degree angle... but, I change the angle all the time. (It's a table top kind).

Peter G
08-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your comments folks.
I currently doing the same as Keith, using a drafting table that can be adjusted to any angle. I was previously painting on the vertical standing up. I must admit you do loose that perspective a bit when the job is laid down, but it is certainly better for the old back. I guess it is a matter of experimentation and what you end up with is your personal preference.

Regards
Peter G

imlayte
08-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Vertical . As jimb said you have to get back from the work in order to judge your progress. I do it often, every few minutes and I also can get back 20 feet. Somebody once said "the more you walk the better your painting". And it is so true. At least get back as far as the normal viewing distance for the size pntg you're working on. There have been times when a large pntg just wasn't working and I've put it out in the back yard and walked 50 feet back to view it. It becomes a thumbnail and that usually allows you to see the problem.

Howard

Lady Carol
08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Well I'll be the spanner in the works........horizontal all the way. Possibly cause I work at our breakfast bar usually watching telly out of the corner of one eye. Never tried it standing up, I may prefer it, but I dunno.

Such dreadful English...sheeesh!!!!! Sorry for the lazy reply:rolleyes:

Marty C
08-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey Carol - I've seen your work. If you achieve that standard with one eye on the TV and bending over to boot then heaven help us poor mortals if you ever concentrate 100% on the job!:D

Lady Carol
08-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Marty C
Hey Carol - I've seen your work. If you achieve that standard with one eye on the TV and bending over to boot then heaven help us poor mortals if you ever concentrate 100% on the job!:D

Yeah! But it takes 4 times as long to get a painting done. And I have to be careful I don't get bored with it in the process....:D

Ivyleaf
08-30-2003, 02:15 AM
I'll throw a monkey wrench in here too and say "it depends". For me, it's a matter of how my arm is feeling at the moment. Horizontal to veritical, standing to sitting, even laying down if I have to...any position that makes it more comfortable on my arm. (I have nerve damage in my painting arm...more an annoyance than anything else). So I paint slow most of the time as I can't do much at once without my arm acting up. But I plod along anyways :D .

I think it's important to paint how *you* feel comfortable painting. And yes, there's lots to be said for putting your painting up across the room and looking at it from that distance. I do this often as well to look at what needs doing.

This is a great thread! Thanks for the question!

:) :) :)
Ivy