PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces - Pastel Cloth

Sand
08-18-2000, 07:52 AM
I work mainly with pastels and up to now I have been working on Canson Mi-Teintes and velour paper. Now Im searching new supports and Im trying sanded paper. Ive heard about pastel cloth.Could anybody tell me where I could find it as Ive ben searching the web with no positive results. Is it similar to velour paper? TKS for the help
Sand

Roan
08-18-2000, 10:09 AM
Lessee . . . New York Central Art Supply carries pastel cloth and from what I read in their catalog (I haven't used pastel cloth yet, myself) it's described as:

"Fine-tooth spun-fabric surface with a special textured coating to grab and hold pastel".

Doesn't sound like velour to me. Sorta sounds like textured canvas.

It also states that it stretches easily with stretcher bars. Since it's a cloth, you'll have to fix it to something -- be it stretcher bars or dry-mount -- in order to paint with pastel on it.

If you are looking for a new surface -- and in my opinion a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better one -- that is similar to velour, try Crescent Moorman suede matboard. I use this all the time now, never velour. It frames extraordinarily well, doesn't shed pastel dust -- and, aw heck, you gotta try it! I just bought two more sheets :P

As for the pastel cloth, NYC doesn't have an online commerce site, but you can call or email for their catalog.

The number is: 1-800-950-6111
email: sales@nycentral.com
web site: www.nycentralart.com (http://www.nycentralart.com)

You can buy suede board off the web, but the shipping will drive the price up. Call around to local framing shops and see if anyone has any for sale. I got mine off the web originally for $33 with shipping. I found a local shop where I now buy it for $22.

If you are web oriented, here's where I ordered my first piece to try:

Western Star Distributors
1-800-869-0386

The price listed was $18, but with shipping et al it came to $33. Oh, they don't take credit cards and so shipped mine COD -- kinda nice cause I didn't have to wait for an online transaction to go through. Bear in mind that although this seems expensive, this is a 32x40 piece of matboard. It's a lot of surface for the buck.

Hope this helps!

------------------
Mar sin leibh an-drsda,

Roan