PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Opportunity Or Another Scam.

cornwall
10-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I have just received an e-mail from International Artist Magazine to invite me to have a full feature in their magazine.
Something does not feel right about this.
They have sent e-mail attachments showing how to set up your work and then saying to log onto
ftp://iatrustoff.dyndns.org and then to log on with a password they provide. I could not find on any seach engine this ftp site. It all sounds very suspect to me.
Has anyone any advice.

DAK723
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I guess my first question would be is the email from a person who specifically identified themselves by name and what their position was within International Artist?

Did they provide a personal email so that you could respond to them personally with any questions? Did they offer a contract that specifically outlined the agreement?

If not, then I would be wary. It would seem that giving out an ftp site and password would come after all the legal parameters are worked out, not before. I would pick up a copy of the magazine and see if there are any phone numbers listed to contact the company directly.

I should add that I have no experience whatsoever in dealing with any of the art magazines professionally, but it seems like this is not a professional approach.

Don

CM Neidhofer
10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Here's a link to their "contact us" page and includes a form to fill out. I would contact them this way and find out if this is legit.

http://www.international-artist.com/contact.aspx

kcwhitney
10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Are they paying you, or are you paying them?

water girl
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I could be totally wrong on this, but the .org in that link would make me uncomfortable.

*Deirdre*
10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I would advise caution...there IS a Magazine called International Artist...I get it every 2 months. It's website is Internationalartist.com (http://www.Internationalartist.com)
I would check with them if the email came from them or is a scam...they ARE legit.

karenlee
10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I worked for an academic vanity publisher--the company put out 29 different academic journals that professors paid to get their research published in. I have always felt that International Artist is one of those publications, where you pay to get an article printed about yourself for publicity. So your email might be a legitimate scam. In either case, just to be safe from potential malware & viruses, I would not open any link or attachment in the email. I would forward it to International Artist and ask if they initiated it. And go on from there!

Davkin
10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd be curious to know if there are any art mags anymore that aren't vanity mags? In other words, which magazines if any actually pay the artist to be included rather than the other way around? I supposed if you already have a big name you get paid, but I wonder if all the articles about lesser known artists are paid for by the artist.

I recently found out an artist I know got "featured" as part of a group of local artists in a prominent collector's magazine. After a little quizzing she revealed that when you buy an ad the "article" comes "free".

David

jackiesimmonds
11-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I know I am bringing up an old post, but I just want to say how this stuff really annoys me. I know that for some artists, the idea of paying to be featured in a book or magazine might appeal, because it gives them a certain amount of visibility............but to me, it always smacks of a publisher, either of a book or a magazine, taking huge advantage of the poor artist. We artists earn little for our work as it is - galleries take between 50-60%, which means, after paying for our frames, we earn far less than the gallery does. I have written books, and have asked other artists to allow me to use their work AND I HAVE PAID THEM as a thank-you. This is, I believe, how it should be. It does not have to be a large payment, a token payment for the use of one image, perhaps more for an article, but certainly it should not be the artist who has to pay.

aolaranora
11-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Sounds like real thing to me... I had several of my artists-friends featured at International Artist, if You still didn't find out, I can ask how exactly they did it and is it indeed how they approach their artists.
No, as far as I know You do not have to pay for anything to be in.