PDA

View Full Version : Running into some 'skintone' trouble..

kare
08-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I haven't done any painting in around three weeks now. Not because I can't be motivated enough, but I've been busy minding a friends house, then i had to start packing to move to another house with a few friends.

I do have one question though.. If anyone can suggest what I might be doing wrong with skintones, I'd really appreciate it!
I've been working on a portrait of my neice in acrylic paint.. but her face is looking rather purple'ish and dull.. I fear I might be sliding back into using grey-scale again..

I haven't a photo yet as I have misplaced the camera cable for my digital camera.. which means I can't actually transfer any images from my camera to my pc...

Any ideas for the skintones??

~ciarrai.

Leslie Pz
08-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Try raw sienna, cad yellow med, cad red med or naphthol crimson, white and blue to darken the tones... You could even use burnt sienna.

Good luck. It's hard to recommend without seeing the original photo... hope I helped a little bit.
-Les

mkillough
08-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Here is the link to one of the Wet Canvas archived articles that discusses flesh tones. I read through it and it will stand for acrylic or oil.
However, there is another article here that was a complete write up of start to finish painting... of a boy in a baseball cap athe the edge of a lake. The artist goes into great detail of painting the face... including something I had not thought of reflection that might be on the face from the jacket he may be wearing; like a hint of blue just under the chin from a bright blue jacket. Really great article. I'll keep looking and if I find it I will post it here for you. If anyone else knows the article I'm talking about... help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Portraiture/Palette/

kare
08-27-2003, 03:06 AM
What a great link!! Thanks so much :)
this is my first portrait in colour.. so I'm at a bit of a stand-still where the colour of skin tone comes into things..

thanks for alot of your help :)

mkillough
08-27-2003, 03:21 AM
I emailed Larry Seiler. I think he will know the article or... he can definitely help. He's one of the best. I've read every article he has ever written, that I could find.
Here is the link to the Wet Canvas Archives of articles. One aday when you have time browse them. Great stuff! I've read them all, and copied some for reference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Publisher/article_index.php

If Larry is not on now, he'll get the email when he wakes and gets online.

It was either he or Scott that wrote the article.

LarrySeiler
08-27-2003, 09:36 AM
such nice endorsement mk....thanks!

I did receive an email this morning to check the thread out.

I have a couple things you can check out...one an archived discussion on a painting I did of my younger son when he was 4 years of age. He is 22 now....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Color/Bobber/

more recently...my older son, Jason...was visiting from Chicago and is also an artist. A very fine professional caricaturist who works for Cracked magazine (Mad magazine's competitor) and at the Navy Pier in a caricature booth. He wanted to take his drawing to another level and felt the need to understand color more.

I took him to one plein air landscape outing with me and he watched me start to finish do one plein air. He was pretty impressed with the speed and outcome, but I made it clear how important seeing is...

Then...the next day was an overcast rainy day...so we took it indoors and I set up a mirror and did a two hour self portrait which I then gave him to take home and study. He was free to stop me at any time and ask questions. I put that one up for folks here at WC to see and discuss. This was done in acrylics-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121154

good luck...I'll be around if you have any questions...

Larry

mkillough
08-27-2003, 01:32 PM
I looked for this forever last night. I just knew it was Larry that wrote it. Can't believe I lost track of this article. If it were in a book right now... I would buy it. It covers so that I need to understand.
Thank you so much, Larry.

Ciarrai... the first page link I gave you last night is great, but what Larry says on page 4 of this article about skin... I have never forgot. But... this time I have copied the whole darn article into a word file to keep in my "Painting Lessons" folder. Iam going to read this more than once myself because it will help me overcome the problems I had in my last (and very first) painting.

LarrySeiler
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mkillough
I looked for this forever last night. I just knew it was Larry that wrote it. Can't believe I lost track of this article. If it were in a book right now... I would buy it. It covers so that I need to understand.
Thank you so much, Larry.

hahaha...no problem.

If I can make myself a tad more scarce here on WC...my computer time should be spent working on my book. The first will be a CD Rom version so that people can click on images, enlarge to study and so forth. Plus, I'll use that to possibly bait a publisher for a second book.

It all boils down to prioritizing my time properly. Considering our frail momentary finite plight on this planet...I should heed that "don't put off tomorrow what can be done today" exhortation.

glad the article was found useful...

Larry

kare
08-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Larry..

I LOVE that portrait - the link to the 2nd one..
Is looks incredibly fast and impressionistic.. something simple, yet hard to erase from anyone's mind!!

how long did this take you?

Einion
08-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Kerrie, <A HREF=http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=177296>this</A> thread might help as well. I can't endorse Sanden's books enough, if you haven't seen any yet his use of colour and brushwork is really exceptional. He has a couple of newer books out since I wrote that post, one of which is a fully updated version of Painting The Head In Oil.

Einion

LarrySeiler
08-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ciarrai
Larry..

I LOVE that portrait - the link to the 2nd one..
Is looks incredibly fast and impressionistic.. something simple, yet hard to erase from anyone's mind!!

how long did this take you?

Thanks Ciarrai, my son and I talked....laughed, but yet kept a focus. WE listened to two cd's start to end....about 45 minutes each...so, 90-120 minutes my guess.

Larry

LarrySeiler
08-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Our own Scott Burdick has a wonderful demo on portrait...albeit oils....but for observing how color works, color rhythm and such very very fine article-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2857/88/

Larry