cray-pas. I want to get started with
soft pastels, but so far all Ive been
able to do is waste pastels and paper.

I like the oil pastels in that they are
more forgiving than colored pencils. ( I
am bad about picking up the wrong color and
not noticing until some is on the paper http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif

I have a few questions.

- How long can one expect oil pastel artwork to last?

- Where can I find a book on using oil pastels?

- Are oil pastels typically easier to get good results with than soft pastels?

Drew Davis
11-20-1999, 10:43 AM
> How long can one expect oil pastel artwork to last?

Good oil pastels are pigment, oil, and wax. Assuming you follow all the usual rules (good materials, acid-free paper and mounting, etc), they are as permanent as any media. They don't dry completely, as do oil paints, so the surface does need some protection.

(There are also oil paint sticks these days, which are sort of like oil pastels, except it's essentially drying oil paint in stick form. Those do dry completely.)

> Where can I find a book on using oil pastels?

I'm tempted to say "the local public library", followed by "amazon.com". But I suppose you're looking for actual titles http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
The "Encylopedia of <media> Techniques" series is generally a no-nonsense survey of techniques. "The Pastel Book: Materials and Techniques", by Bill Creevy, is a bit deeper.

> Are oil pastels typically easier to get good results with than soft pastels?

The answer seems to be highly idiosyncratic. Some media seem to me to fall naturally in place, while others don't. Oil pastels are very blendable, and a bit easier to move around on the paper. That could be good or bad. I suspect the trick with most media is to simply learn their characteristics and play to their strengths. I happen to like the soft (or should I say "dry"?) sort, but if oils work better for you, then pursue them for a bit.

todd
11-20-1999, 11:37 AM
>> Where can I find a book on using oil pastels?

>I'm tempted to say "the local public
>library", followed by "amazon.com". But I
>suppose you're looking for actual titles

Well, I tried some of the on-line sights. I only found one title that was out of print. And it was over $70. So, yes, I was looking for a title. Maybe I'll drop by the public library and see what they have.

thanks,
Todd.

[This message has been edited by todd (edited 11-20-99).]

chihuahua
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello Todd,

Try to get a copy of this book.

Oil Pastel for the serious Beginner by John Elliot.

It is excellent.

I use Caran d'Ache Neocolor ll oil crayons/pastels which are water soluble. They are brilliant to work with. Caran d'Ache makes a spray especially for use over these oil pastels. All obtainable from Dick Blick online.

Hope this helps

Susan

ourcassidy!
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Have you tried the "oil pastel" forum on WC? Pam

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I am moving this thread over to the Oil Pastel forum - lots of information and help over there.

Good luck with your OP's - they are fun to use.

wabbitt
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
WOW! A 10-year old thread!

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Lordy, I didn't see that Wabbitt!

Pat Isaac
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
:eek: ...I'm not sure that person is around anymore and if so we have many up to date threads regarding this subject.

Pat

robertsloan2
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh wow. I didn't see the date either. Just reading along preparing to give my answer and maybe mention the book reviews in my site... and then ... right, ten year old thread.

Ah well. Maybe a new person who's a lurker will find it and read it!

halthepainter
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow, Todd probably gave up because he didn't get an answer. :evil:

I wonder if he found his book? :confused:

Pat Isaac
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
The best book is now out of print, but some can still be found at a reasonable price. "oil Pastel" by Kenneth Leslie.

Pat