PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches: 25-31 August

E-J
08-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Well, fellow pastellists, I believe Mo is pretty busy with exhibitions and stuff ... so I've decided to step into her shoes and open up this week's sketch thread. If this isn't the done thing then you can all blame Dawn for encouraging me :D

For the benefit of those who haven't a clue what the thread is all about ...

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, eg. 25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, or one hour. Small sizes are ideal, but you should of course work on a scale you feel happy with. Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off, STOP, and post your efforts here...

The idea behind the set times is to get the essentials down on paper without fretting about detail, thus improving your skills. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life but you should feel free to use a reference photo if you prefer.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate in this thread, whether you're a newbie, a professional or (like most of the rest of us) somewhere in-between. No critiques will be given unless you specifically want them.

Here's a link to last weeks quickies to inspire you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126578&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Pastel is the perfect medium for sketching! Please do join in :)

E-J
08-25-2003, 04:57 PM
I spent the Bank Holiday w/e at my inlaws' on the Isle of Wight, and got to do a bit of sketching with my new set of ContÚ sticks and a small Ingres sketchpad. I can't fathom why I used to dislike ContÚs so much ... is it possible that the 'scratchy' ones I had before were just a bad batch? :confused: Anyway ...

This is Whale Chine, Isle of Wight: a plein air sketch (25 mins):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2003/13865-chine1.JPG

Next one's Whale Chine again. Plein air (about an hour):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2003/13865-chine2.JPG

Painted wooden fish. From life (30 mins):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2003/13865-fishy.JPG

... and lastly, the Isle of Wight's landmark lighthouse out by the Needles, this time from a postcard image. Not sure how long it took me (an hour, perhaps) but I was sitting on a very windy beach with the sketchpad on my knees :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2003/13865-needles.JPG

Dyin
08-25-2003, 05:41 PM
E-J...that last one is awesome!!! Did you sketch them in this order? There seems to be a progression of confidence to them! Those are really cool formations by the lighthouse...the reflections and waves came out really super...

Dark_Shades
08-25-2003, 06:19 PM
just came in to blow a raspberry at you EJ :p ...... hey I like your fishes....... they could go with my ducks :)

...... like the landscape of the needles too..... good one, glad to see your w/e wasnt wasted lol

Mo.
08-25-2003, 07:21 PM
OooohWeeee!!!!!! Lookout guys E-J is back in force with her quickies.... WOW!!! These are all gorgeous...love the first one... never visited the I.O.W.... you make me want to with these... little fishy would look good on my bathroom wall... love it.... and thankyou for starting the thread... I'm an utterly useless guide... don't know why they chose me.:D:D

Mo.:)

angeline
08-26-2003, 03:11 AM
EJ........these are fabuolous posts!.......back with a vengance eh?I might not get to do one this week but i shall lurk........lol:evil:

E-J
08-26-2003, 04:26 AM
Thanks friends :)

Yes, Sue, these are in sketch order ... but the Needles came from a postcard, so they were easier than the plein airs. But yes, I'd warmed up by that point :)

This w/e I read my new book by Susan Sarback on her approach to what she calls 'full-colour seeing' and even with these small pictures I think I'm already making more exciting colour choices.

Dawn, if you're going to aim a raspberry at me, please make it a sketch of a raspberry and post it in the thread ;) :D

Look forward to seeing everyone else's sketches this week!

Madder
08-26-2003, 06:40 AM
Very nice E-J!

I have had such a healthy diet lately, because I keep buying red and green peppers, intending to paint them, but I find I don't have time, so I have to eat them instead!

Dark_Shades
08-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by E-J

Dawn, if you're going to aim a raspberry at me, please make it a sketch of a raspberry and post it in the thread ;) :D

Cor! ..... give her a bit of promotion, and it goes right to her head..... lolol...... pushy or what :D ;)

..... hey Mo..... sssh dont tell EJ..... but perhaps she will open up all the other weeks to, just happen to forget next week ;) ....... lol I still think everyone should take turns :evil: :D .....

E-J
08-26-2003, 08:43 AM
hey Dawn ... I would be happy to open more weeklies but you know I'm always flitting off somewhere for long weekends ... France, Belgium, Isle of Wight ... did I tell you I've got 3 days lined up in Prague soon? :D

Dyin
08-26-2003, 09:50 AM
E-J...you're a gadabout and teasing will definately make me jealous!!! I'm waiting til after my small holiday to start something big, so I'll try to sit and do something small for this...course not as small as a RASBERRY...:evil:

E-J
08-26-2003, 11:16 AM
... and I was forgetting New York ... hehe ... where incidentally nobody could even understand my pronunciation of 'raspberry'!! :) Dawn did in fact post a single strawberry to the thread once ... as did Patricia ... it may be helpful for newbies to remember that a sketch can be of something that simple :)

Dyin
08-26-2003, 11:22 AM
that's ok E-J...you probably couldn't understand the Nu Yawk version either...they tend to do it with their tongues anyways lol lol lol! (it's ok...I grew up in Rochester NY (Rah-chester), so I can tease about it!)

Dark_Shades
08-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by E-J
... and I was forgetting New York ... hehe ... where incidentally nobody could even understand my pronunciation of 'raspberry'!! :) Dawn did in fact post a single strawberry to the thread once ... as did Patricia ... it may be helpful for newbies to remember that a sketch can be of something that simple :)

whaddya mean me strawberry was simple :eek: :crying: ..... I toiled and sweated over that ONE solitary Strawberry lol..... ohhhh and DOOoooooo stop showing off about where you keep shooting off to lol

Dyin
08-26-2003, 01:17 PM
ha ha...simple strawberries...:D

sundiver
08-26-2003, 02:09 PM
da da da, "You say rawsbry, and I say razz-berry..."

E-J, I like your sketches, second one's my fave, don't know why, it just speaks to me.

Here are some plein aires done in a moving car! We drove to Manitoba and back this summer, stopping to attend the SARS concert (Rolling Stones et all) in Toronto.
If it seemed like the landscape was going to continue in a similar manner for an hour or so, I started at the top and added what I saw as we went along. I THINK I got the states right.. They're all o.p. 5x7 in a sketchbook. I'll save the Mass. Turnpike for the Rainy day o.p. project.

Highway20, northern Michigan:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/6393-clouds.jpg
That one has about 15 layers. Couldn't get those clouds to stay still!
Highway 20, North Dakota:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/6393-ndakota_i_20.jpg
southern Wisconsin
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/6393-wisconsin.jpg
Minnesota

Dyin
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
well, lovin Minnesota!!! All of them are nice and bravo on you for doing stuff in a MOVING car...I'd have one huge sloppy mess!!! Speaking of messes...did this with OPs, one hour on the button, 12x9 on watercolor paper...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/19147-weekly_one.jpg

Craig Houghton
08-26-2003, 04:31 PM
sundiver - those are fantastic. "Highway 20, North Dakota" is my fave. I love the open road and the cumulus (my fave) clouds. They must make a great concert souvenier set.

Dyin - the elephant really looks like he's trumpeting right off the table. I love the variation of the rough and blended edges -- they make it seem like there's movement on the legs and body.

E-J - I second everything everyone has said, and I love the subtle strata effect you managed on the cliff-sides. Well done.

I discovered that the apple trees in my front yard are actually producing apples. Last night my brother and I went plucking. This is a homegrown apple with part of the branch still attached. I stuck it behind an empty frame and placed it on top of a board. I worked on it for about 40 minutes last night (after setting up) and fell asleep. I spent about 20 more on it today after work. I planned on one 60 minute sitting, but that'll have to do. :)

Framed Apple, 60 min, assorted soft pastels on 8x10 600 grit sandpaper from the hardware store.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/21273-golden_framed_apple.JPG

and, in case anyone is curious exactly what is happening in the w/ the frame etc there:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/21273-apple_table.JPG

(yeah, it's a mess, but I'll clean up in a few :P)

-Craig

Dyin
08-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Craig...I can so totally see where the oil painting is influencing your pastel work...more drama AND more subtle nuances...this is a very nice still life....

E-J
08-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Wendy, no wonder we didn't get to see much of you this summer, with all that travelling and pastelling :) You must have built up a great visual diary in that sketchbook. My favourite of these four is Wisconsin.

Sue, cute elephant! How do the op's feel on watercolour paper? Is it a struggle to fill the surface texture? Is it easy to get nice blends?

Craig, wow :eek: That frame looks so real!! You've done a super job on the perspective and shadow ... I love the mottled table surface ... and what an unusual composition ... I seem to recall you used the corner of a table in a picture once before. Has a very finished look for just an hour's work :clap:

Dyin
08-26-2003, 05:05 PM
E-J...didn't even worry about filling holes...save that for the big works...watercolor paper leaves an interesting texture...I just ran colors over others to blend...they laid on top of each other cleanly til about the 4th time over...then they start to melt and mix...this little guy holds my rings when I wash up...I think he ran away from the circus...making him do all those silly tricks and all....

Anodyne
08-26-2003, 05:16 PM
My love! beautiful apple, it reminded me of surreal art as soon as i saw it.

-Sonia

Dyin
08-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Anodyne
My love! beautiful apple, it reminded me of surreal art as soon as i saw it.

-Sonia

you two are so durn cute!

Mo.
08-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Wendy ...try doing those on our bumpy roads LOL! Great sketches...
Sue love the little ellie , he's sure on the move there....and Craig..that's a neat set up you have there... think it's a love apple ;)

Dawn..... I'm putting my guide hat on here...... where's your B***** Raspberry? :D:p...... Now I don't want everyone fighting over doing the weeklies, I know you all want the power :D:evil:.... but someone has to do them when I'm on hols for two weeks......so...... who is volunteering?..... don't trip over yourselves in the rush :D:p

E-J
08-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Mo, I can certainly open next week's.

Started this, spent 50 mins on it but then sort of lost interest. You can see it's majorly unfinished!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2003/13865-iron.jpg

Dark_Shades
08-27-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/21273-golden_framed_apple.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2003/21273-apple_table.JPG

-Craig

Absolutely EXCELLENT Craig :clap: :clap: :clap:

what are the two pics on the left......... can we see a closer pic of those

Dark_Shades
08-27-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Mo, I can certainly open next week's.

Started this, spent 50 mins on it but then sort of lost interest. You can see it's majorly unfinished!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2003/13865-iron.jpg

like the feel of this EJ....... seems completely different style for you...... now this would be the only time I would see my Iron lolol in a Still life ha ha ha

nice one

Dyin loved your ellephant :) ..... so cute

Sundiver good to see you back....... and congrats on all your sales....... not surprising at all..... they are all beautiful

E-J
08-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Dawn ... yep ... iron was sitting there uselessly so I was happy to find a use for it at last :D Funny how nobody in the Pastel forum (apart from Sophie) seems to do any ironing! We're artists, dahhling ... bohemians ... we don't go in for that sort of thing :)

Re my iron picture, I do like the effect of yellow underpainting with the mauves of the fabric over the top, but the darks just weren't happening ... I would work on it some more but the trouble is, I'm already on to something else :) Have broken into my pad of La Carte sanded paper ... it's a wonderful surface ...

Madder
08-27-2003, 08:03 AM
lovely one, Craig!

Craig Houghton
08-27-2003, 08:56 AM

E-J, How could you possibly lose interest in such a wild subject :) I wanna paint an iron! I love it.

Shades - One is a super close up pic of the apple I set up in front of me. The other is was cropped to help form the dimensions for the composition. I've also been in the habit of printing b&w white stills to help see value divorced from color. I've been working from photo and life at the same time. This way I can see the scene in front of me dark or lighter or with extra contrast, to help see things in a different way or reduce 'squinting' time. It's nice having a good color printer. For this one though, I actually used a piece of matboard with a golden rectangle/triangle and the golden proportion cut out of it in order to set up the comp.

Here's a pic (i photograph everything, generally. since I bought my digital cam I've managed to click almost 6k pics (much to the dismay of my hard drive)). The black thing holding the rectangle is a copy holder clipped to a pencil cup :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2003/21273-DSC05030.JPG

Thanks everyone
-Craig

nougat
08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi all!!

nothing from me cos it's just sooo hot and i'm lazy!!

BUT lovely paintings all!!

nadine

Dark_Shades
08-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Dawn..... I'm putting my guide hat on here...... where's your B***** Raspberry? :D:p...... Now I don't want everyone fighting over doing the weeklies, I know you all want the power :D:evil:.... but someone has to do them when I'm on hols for two weeks......so...... who is volunteering?..... don't trip over yourselves in the rush :D:p

.... got no raspberries... nor strawberries..... would a grape suffice :D

* Pulls Mo's hat down over her eyes...... and runs out :D hee hee

Dyin
08-27-2003, 09:33 PM
ok...give us the grape and make it good lol!
Hey...no scumble today and had to share this...we're trying to get a new car (big deal for me...haven't had wheels just for me for over a YEAR) anyways we have problems with the credit check...not our record which is excellent...but there's a name confusion...anyhoo the salesmen were at Chopper's job...he's a Harley tech...they asked if I worked and he said I painted and they said oh...like bikes and stuff??? And HE said...no she won't do anything that'll make money...just that artsy fartsy stuff!!!!
I'd be mad, but he showed off the portrait I did of him that he has hung there with pride. (I did come up with a proper adjective for him though!!!!) :evil:

Julianne
08-28-2003, 01:45 AM
Hi,

This is my first post to the pastel forum. It's lotus season in Tokyo, so here are some lotuses. I have modified this first pic since it was taken, to get rid of the strong horizontal line that seemed to be occuring in the background and passing thru the whole picture.

Excuse poor quality. This is taken from a still from my DV camera, so the colours aren't totally correct either.

Julianne

Julianne
08-28-2003, 01:46 AM
closer view:

Julianne
08-28-2003, 01:47 AM
I did this one yesterday. Once again the colours aren't so great. It took me around 4 hours or even longer. I totally mucked up the background, had to rub it out, but I love the effect of the old stained dark background that remains beneath the new lighter background.

Julianne
08-28-2003, 01:49 AM
ooops, sorry, it went thru before I could attach the pic.

Here it is:

Dyin
08-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Welcome to the forum, Julianne! What lovely flowers they are and
nice bold lines...lotus season in Japan...sounds heavenly! So glad you joined in the weekly! Really looking forward to seeing more...

E-J
08-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Welcome Julianne :)

These are lovely ... were you doing the second one from life?

Look forward to seeing more from you!

Madder
08-28-2003, 10:06 AM
HI all,
Lovely paintings all, welcome Julianne!

I finally got round to the peppers. This was a real good exercise for me, trying to figure out which part of the pepper is lighter than the other, etc. My eyes are tired! Wow, using your eyes is hard work. It's not great, but it's a sketch just under an hour. Kind of the equivalent of sit ups...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2003/24457-peppers.jpg

Madder Pepper
P.S. I could use some pointers on convincing shadows :)

E-J
08-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Madder m'dear, your peppers are wonderful! I especially like the yellow one. The highlights, that greenish tinge, the twirl of the stalk ... love it.

Dyin
08-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Madder..those are great peppers...really! I like how the red one pops...whew...pepper crunches...but the end results were worth it!

Dyin
08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2003/19147-tomato_1.jpg

Kinda proud of this one...quickest I came close to taming the OPs yet...one hour and ok, 5 minutes over...had to fuss a little! Hope it still counts...had to take it out in direct sun to do pic...otherwise the delicate shading on the tomato got totally lost...hope this comes out ok...about 7x9 (signing and dating so I can keep track of my progress on this quick stuff, I store them in wax paper sleeves and it works great)

Madder
08-28-2003, 03:38 PM
That's one plum tomayto (tomahto?)!
Nice mix of colors and good shadow! gradation from dark shadow to lighter I see, mmmm....

Dark_Shades
08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Welcome Julieanne........

wonderful Peppers Madder....... everytime I see peppers now..... cant help think of Pep Talk.... and them having a discussion lol

nice one Sue.... I like that..... not the conventional shape of a tomatoe...... really like the colours in the shadow too..... the background bottom looks metallic..... is that due to the shine from the oil pastels? ..... what colours have you used there

* sighs.... suppose better go find my grape lol

Dark_Shades
08-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Phew........ guess what ha ha ..... went looking for the Grapes.... hubbies thrown them away :clap: :D

Dyin
08-28-2003, 03:57 PM
thanks, Madder...was a little disappointed in the pic...I was so pleased when I held the real thing up to it and they absolutely matched! Would probably go for more contrast in a serious piece...yeah, the shadow was a surprise to me..it was actually throwing 2 of them...the dark one and the light one which actually got lighter and lighter the further away it was...that effect doesn't show well either...I wouldn't have gotten that from a photo...hey...just saw your shadow remark!!!

In the real life painting it's not so purple for the dark...it actually has purple with dark green over it and then a dust of red over it...came out a lovely color. Most reflections have color in them from the object they are cast from and the surrounding areas to a small extent...and there's that fade out factor...so you will see the base color of whatever it's sitting on...and then you will see the object colors...much more in a reflective surface like this than a dull surface. With soft pastels I thought dusting would be best for shadows...you know...shave a blue, protect the places you don't want the dust on and then lightly let it settle over the base color of the surface...I think of shadows as just a darker value of the surface below it...a loss of light, but not blocking all of it usually...geesh...how bout a book on it...seems I wrote one lol!

Dyin
08-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Dawn...yah, great excuse lol! No..not the ops...it's having so much red in the shadow giving it that effect...plus I didn't fill in all the white pits from the watercolor paper...just the same green as above it but rubbed out with a paper towel and a little beige was laid down first to about 2 inches out from the tomato...was amazed I could get 2 diff effects from one color like that...this thread is good for that I'm finding...it's a Roma tomato...they all are oblong like that...

E-J
08-29-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
Phew........ guess what ha ha ..... went looking for the Grapes.... hubbies thrown them away :clap: :D

Dawn, not the old husband-threw-out-my-subject excuse again ... did the dog also eat your homework? :p ;) :D

Hey, I'm in charge of the thread this week ... just trying to crack the whip as hard as Mo! :)

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 07:39 AM
lol.... well heres another raspberry for ya

:p

lololol ;) :D

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Ok....... looking round for some fruit........

found a pear...............
...... 30 Mins .......

:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/12116-Soph.jpg

Dyin
08-29-2003, 04:19 PM
that pear is looking at me!!!:eek: lol...good one Dawn...

E-J
08-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Nice one Dawn! Or should that be, nice two ...

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 04:36 PM
ha ha..... yup....... two....... its a pair/pear :D ....... of eyes :rolleyes: lol

Artistammy
08-29-2003, 04:42 PM
This is my first piece of fruit from real life - 30 min.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/3341-reallifepeach.jpg The scan turned out a little dark but I must be on to my next painting. :evil:

Dyin
08-29-2003, 04:45 PM
way to go Tammy...looks good!

E-J
08-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Good going on your first live peach, Tammy!

This is a real quickie, 20 mins, for the purpose of deciding whether I've chosen the right shades for the purple + yellow complementaries project. And have I? Well, I'm still undecided.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/13865-study.jpg

Dyin
08-29-2003, 06:25 PM
E-J...well, I wonder if a red violet might not make it have a deeper lustrous look...if metal is what you will be painting??? I've always thought gold had a red tone to it...and maybe an oranger yellow??? Just ruminating here...and nice little quick sketch too!! Hope you'll show us your final entry for this!

Mo.
08-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Righty ho! you lot of quicky artists producing exceptional quicky paintings.... Kudos to you all, .. Well done E-J for your support and keeping this thread alive...super works everyone.... but... just a little but... there is one person very lacking here... No names mind you... but maybe this will be the kick up the proverbial that 's needed? :D:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/5154-splatsmily.gif

a splattered grape that DH spit in a certain person's direction?:D:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/5154-lafrogkiss.gif

Mmmmwhaaaa!!! Dahling!!!:D:D

Mo.:)

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 08:31 PM
excuse em moi....... is thou kicking oneself up the proverbial bottom :confused: ....... as YOU are the only one who hasnt submitted a painting lolol :D :evil: :angel: hee hee

(and yes Im still up too...... 1.32am :eek: )

Mo.
08-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Oh now we are going into the olde worlde englishe language

thou?:D .. blimey... thee does not need to produce quicky paintings my dear, as thee is sooo busy arguing and entertaining the hierarchy at posh exhibitions....not! :D

Dark_Shades
08-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Oooooooo 'eck :crying:

Deborah Secor
08-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Is that what they call the King's English? 'blimey'? Always sorta wondered what that came from--but never wanted to know enough to ask! LOL

I have one that hardly qualifies as a painting, but will have to do. I've worked on it since then but would be over the one hour limit!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2003/23609-rocksprog2.jpg

Well, it isn't the fruit theme of this week--but these rocks have a lot in common with a pepper. Hey, planes are planes, right?

Dyin
08-29-2003, 10:29 PM
I like your rocks...and hopefully you'll be showing them as a regular post...love the colors I know you use!
Geesh, thees and thous and frogs and grapes...hmmm, a crazy week around here!

Julianne
08-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks, Dyin, E-J and Madder.

E-J, to answer your question, yes they were all done from life.

I must admit I've never done such detailed pastel paintings before. I've always dabbled, but not tried this kind of thing. It's a lot of fun, though also a lot of work!!!! Slowly learning.... I hope I have time to keep going. Posts may be sporadic due to this but I'll post when I have anything worth posting.

I'm really enjoying all these other paintings too..... what a great and talented bunch of people here!!!!

Julianne

PegR
08-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Just to lower the level of work for the week:D

I take no responsibility for damage to eyesight or monitors. This is a half-hour sketch of an overgrown zucchini from my garden. I've drawn it three times now, and I think I'm going to make the silly thing into zucchini bread . . .

Dark_Shades
08-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Well done PegR....... not that I know what a zucchini is having never heard of one before lol...... but I think you did a wonderful job on it..... and in such a quick time frame too....... love the colours on it

..... you did better than me.... didnt even get a solitary grape done..... even after that nasty guide coming in to chase me :D ;)

PS lolol...... the job has already been taken of lowering the level of standard of work ..... thats why Im here :)

PegR
08-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Sorry Dark Shades, I forgot--you Brits call them "marrow." You'll usually see them in a long, skinny shape. This variety is called "Eight Ball" I wouldn't play pool (or snooker, for that matter:)) with it, but it was a convenient subject. . .

Two countries divided by a common language . . .

Came back to edit this--

Dark Shades, I've seen your work--you certainly don't lower the level of work here! Grapes or no grapes.;)

Peg

Dark_Shades
08-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by PegR
Sorry Dark Shades, I forgot--you Brits call them "marrow." You'll usually see them in a long, skinny shape. This variety is called "Eight Ball" I wouldn't play pool (or snooker, for that matter:)) with it, but it was convenient . . .

Two countries divided by a common language . . .

Lolol now thats the second time this week that 'two countries' quote has come up ha ha ha

ohhhhh a Marrow..... well I did think it looked like one :)

nougat
08-31-2003, 09:24 AM
Zucchini - marrow - courgette???? Great work all.
Are you feeling OK Dawn??
How's your exhibition doing Mo??
I've just decided on my pastel sketch.... probably post it tonight or tomorrow in the september thread....:D

nadine

E-J
08-31-2003, 10:45 AM
Deborah, even unfinished, your drawing is beautiful. Do you fancy flying over to Cambridge sometime to give me a landscape masterclass? :)

Sue, thanks for your helpful suggestions. I've found that with acrylic paint, a similar purple & yellow to these can be mixed to make the very red violet you're referring to, but with the pastels, the same range of mixable colours just doesn't seem possible :confused:

Peg, I've no idea how you make zucchini bread but it sounds yummy.

This has been a splendidly successful week's thread, with 20 sketches posted! :) (Nadine, you can make it 21 if you hurry!) Thanks to Wendy, Sue, Craig, Julianne, Madder, Dawn, Tammy, Deborah, Peg ... and, uhh ... me :) ... and others who have posted in support or praise :clap:

Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE this thread? :D

Deborah Secor
08-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Boy, I'd love to jump on a jet and come over to do a master class... maybe some day.

I'm learning so many new words--marrow for zucchini one for one! Language is so interesting and fluid.

I did a WIP of the rock painting on another thread, in case you want to see more...

Catch you all on the next thread.

PegR
08-31-2003, 08:51 PM
E-J, for zucchini bread, try Recipe Source (http://www.recipesource.com) and search "Zucchini Bread." There are many, many, many recipes. It's a great way to share the harvest, and most people have more of this kind of squash (marrow, courgette) than they can really use.

Peg

Dyin
08-31-2003, 09:18 PM
E-J....it's as good as bannana nut bread if you ask me....mmmm!!!

sundiver
09-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Wow, it's been a busy week in here. I fully intended to comment on all the work individually but I'm too far behind now.
So, lots of great fruit. I just wish my monitor would show the colors properly, it's putrid. But I can guess, especiallt at those peppers. And, lovely florals, adorable elephant, Dawn's Pear of eyes:D, and very innovative still life from Craig.
E-J, an iron! (runs screaming from room , grabs crucifix and garlic, and waves them in front of her)