PDA

View Full Version : So Out of Practice

RCharleston
10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2012/134997-Life_Model_Needed.jpg

This is about a 3 hr first sketch for a possible larger work in charcoal or pastel. Any feedback would be most welcome. My main curiosities are the "text/image poster-like concept" and the composition - layout of shapes within the rectangle/frame......Do these work for you or not? The idea behind this is a play on the "Life Model Wanted" ad one might see pinned up on a bulletin board in some art space.

Thanks.

La_
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
i love your style ... wouldn't expect any more from a 3hr first draft ...
interestingly, i note an edge of two left hands ... adore the scrunched toes on her left toes

la

Andrewcody
10-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Very reminiscent of Robert Crumb
Regards
Andrew

Andrewcody
10-16-2012, 02:02 AM
How did she get her left leg into that position????

Regards
Andrew

RCharleston
10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
How did she get her left leg into that position????

Regards
Andrew

With the help of intensive artistic license. :D

Andrewcody
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Oh really?
More practice required possibly
Two left hands, and no thigh bone?
:)
Regards
Andrew

RCharleston
12-02-2012, 11:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2012/134997-Life_Model_Sketch_Pastel.jpg

Shifted this into a pastel sketch...will probably be airbrushing over it with acrylic matte medium in the near future to see if the higher key tones remain or can be built up again with pastel/matte medium. Thanks for the observations, Andrew, on the figure's left leg....Can't do too much in the way of drastic alteration in this medium but tried to suggest slightly more of an angle which may or may not suggest more of a thigh bone...lol. Let me know if this seems any better if you run across this reply..........

Andrewcody
12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
The right hand is improved, it looks like a right hand
The pose is completely unnatural though
Left arm is tucked in at an impossible angle
Left leg..well that has been discussed
The right leg is raised and the foot barely touches the ground
So.....what is supporting her weight?
She is leaning to the right, but there is no indication of that weight being borne by her hips and buttocks at all.
If this is simply a cartoon like study then fine.
Regards
Andrew

RCharleston
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
....If this is simply a cartoon like study then fine.
Regards
Andrew

All the stuff I'm doing aspires much more toward Modigliani/John Currin/R. Crumb territory than toward Ingres/Bouguereau/Sargent

Points well taken and appreciated though, particularly weight bearing/lean angle issues...