PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Monroe

Pete Hubbard
08-25-2003, 02:48 AM
I don't know if this needs to have a nude icon but better safe than sorry...

30"W x 40"H, Acrylic on Newspaper
Title: Marilyn Monroe

The title for this piece came to me as I was finishing it. The star/figure shape kind of suggested a figure sitting on the edge of a table. I recall seeing a 50's pinup photo of Marilyn Monroe in a similar pose. I looked it up on the web and there it was.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2003/15630-Marilyn_MonroeJPG.JPG

blkros
08-25-2003, 08:24 AM
I like this one. That white outline around the 'figure', helps define 'Marilyn'.

Is the newspaper glued onto a support?

Pete Hubbard
08-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Yes it's mounted on mat board and varnished with a UV gloss medium made by Golden. I think it's pretty solid and will hold up under reasonable conditions.

As in previous posts I work from a model or sketch. Sometimes the model is another painting or photograph. Sometimes it one of my own drawings. This one is one from life drawing.

Tamana
08-25-2003, 09:50 PM
lol the nude icon!

I REALLY like the placement of the crossword puzzle and the red x's (e"x"specially bleeding through that blue). The fushia top left seems duplicated (colorwise) on the blue. Illusion or no?

blkros
08-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Love that drawing, those lines are elegant.

Pete Hubbard
08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Tamana
lol the nude icon!

I REALLY like the placement of the crossword puzzle and the red x's (e"x"specially bleeding through that blue). The fushia top left seems duplicated (colorwise) on the blue. Illusion or no?

I like to rely on the notion of serendipity or as Carl Jung put it synchronicity. Or like Kevin Costner put it “if you build it they will come”.

It’s the idea that you don’t have to look after details. It’s the notion of living and working on a higher plane so you are at the right time at the right place doing the right thing. But I broke a rule. I thought that crossword puzzle would look really cool right there. So I made that happen. But as for the fuchsia, that’s pure synchronicity. I wasn’t even there when I painted it. It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Tamana
08-25-2003, 11:22 PM
"Burn baby burn" doesn't it?

There are rules? Don't tell them to me.

I personally prefer the "If you build it they will co
me," but hey, it's a Kevin Costner thing maybe? *shrugs*

Pete Hubbard
08-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Little piggies

Veronica
08-27-2003, 04:33 AM
My fav work of yours to date Pete. Alluring.