PDA

View Full Version : Lotus at Ginter Garden #1 - wc

ameliajordan
06-20-2001, 02:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2001/Lotus_GG_1_sm.JPG

Please critique my latest painting. I took photos of the lotus blooms last year and finally finished the first in what I hope will be a series. (The photos are in our reference library.)

Ruth
06-20-2001, 05:51 PM
Hi Amelia, nice to see you again. I love the purple and yellow in this, that's my favorite color combination.

I don't do watercolors because I know how hard it is, so take my words with a grain or two of salt:D

The yummy purple is confined to the flowers and I'd like to see more of it in variations all over. Also, the flowers have a hard edge all the way around. I like to see variations in edges, some hard, some soft, some lost altogether.

I don't especially like the olive green. You can get some nice gray-greens by adding purple to green. Or maybe blue-green.

I think you have the makings of a lovely series here. Please show more.

Ruth

Rod
06-21-2001, 07:43 AM
I too would like to see more variation in the colours in the background, a touch of purple there would help.
Some more darks in the middle of the flower at the base of the stamens would bring it to life and possibly a liitle shading between some of the petals.
The making of a great series,
Rod.

ameliajordan
06-21-2001, 04:42 PM
Thanks for comments. My image is too dark on the computer. Painting is much softer in the blossoms. I'll have to see about putting some darker values in the flowers. I like the yellow green background versus the blue green leaves but will try something else next time. The painting is 15x22 so I had lots of room.

sun_merman
06-24-2001, 12:42 PM
I really like this piece! I especially like the treatment of the center of the flower done in orange. The contrast between the lavender and orange is terrific.