PDA

View Full Version : Sal and Ben at Long Reef Beach WIP watercolour

Debzy
10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I took a photo of two of my kids looking out over the surf at Long Reef Beach two days ago. :clap: Thought I would have a go at it, but once again, bitten off more than I can chew I think!!! :rolleyes: Anyway, I have posted stage 1 and will continue with it and try to get it close as possible to the scene, but don't want to be too fiddly with it. :crossfingers: Any critique is welcome as always as I go along. :thumbsup: Thanks. Cheers =)) Debs. :D

crafor
10-03-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a grand start. One crit: It looks to me as if they are leaning backward and sideways. Maybe optical illusion. as you said, this is stage one! I'll try to keep up with you!
Ella

Trumper
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
:) Looking good so far,i know it's still early days but is that a boat on the water? size looks abit small if so but still too early to say really.

Debzy
10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up on those issues Ella and Gary! :thumbsup: Ella thanks for your keen eye, the figures do seem to be leaning, yes, don't know why that happened, maybe I wasn't sitting or standing straight when drawing them? I realised this when viewing the painting standing back from it. I think I can rectify that anyway. Mainly their legs are on an angle, they should be straighter up and down. Gary, yes, the boat does need to be a bit bigger, good observation too, When I come to detail it a bit I will expand it and hopefully it won't look like a remote control toy :D Will post next instalment when its done. I haven't really done figures this large before, and because they are my children the pressure is on to make them look like them! My daughter is worried that her legs should look nice etc etc! Just realised too that my son has a cap on with a peak, and I totally missed the triangle of water above the peak so will fix that too. He looks like he has a sailors hat on.... he probably wouldn't like that lol. My daughter is 18 and my son 27. They are both very supportive of my art work and interest so I'm not really worried. I put the pressure on myself really !!! Thanks again my friends and will post soon. Debs. =)) Cheers my friends. :wave:

pjartwc
10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Debsy, I really love your painting style. You've got the trees in the background and the water right on. I do have a problem with perspective. From the size of the building and the boat, it looks as if the viewer is quite a ways away. But the two people seem viewed up close and become way to large for this background. They are, however the correct size for the up-close wave. Perhaps if you added to the water to show distance?? Is this just my view or do others see this?

Debzy
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Thank you Jan for your advice and critique! I think I am going to start this one again, I have made a few slips with it and feel I could do it better on a fresh page. I will re-draw it and the water and perspective will be better. Thank you very much. Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
This is a great start. Figures drawn very well and surf has great movement. Think the perspective is OK if you lose the boat, perhaps stick a building on left to complete the composition? or push the water up a bit and move your boat further back? Anie

rossmarie
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Well done Debs! Coming along fine. I wouldn't do much more to the beach & sea. ........now comes the difficult bit....painting the children.....please show me how to do it!!

The only suggestion I would make is to tone down the background trees and beach a bit...think they look a bit too close. When you have painted in the children, they will then stand out and the background detail becomes unimportant.

Keep going - I think it is going to look great.

Mike:thumbsup:

Debzy
10-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks very much Arnie and Mike, I have decided to attempt this one again. I am not happy with the colour of the water or the crooked stance of the figures and being water colour and early stages, I can't change those things but haven't spent too much time on it so I am happy to start again. I have been working out how I can improve lots of areas of it and think I will be happier next time. I haven't started yet as I have been pretty unwell but I may give it a go tonight for a while. I will post the new one when I begin on the same thread maybe, as it will be close in composition. May be good so others can see and compare differences. Cheers and thanks so much for the encouragement and support. Debs. =))

Debzy
10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
OK ! Here is take two. I have only done the sketch / outline and tried to get better proportion.:clap: Unfortunately, I had to cut off their feet in order to get it right because of the dimensions I ended up working with. :eek: Do you think it is a problem? :confused: I liked it better with their whole bodies, but this is what I have ended up with. I don't really want to draw it up again, it took a long time. :rolleyes:
Please be honest, could it work as a composition without their feet showing? :crossfingers: I don't want to paint until tomorrow, very tired now, and will wait and see what you think first my wonderful, artistic and very helpful friends. :D Cheers =)) Debs.

Trumper
10-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Just my personal opinion but i like feet (oooh errr ,that sounds a bit wrong LOL) ,could they not move into the water as if they are paddling would that give some room and movement at the front as well.:)

Debzy
10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Well yes Gary, I guess they could, I would have to rub them out and re-draw them.... I could do that .... It would mean they block some of the far shoreline and may have to move them more to left. Would that make them too central? They would be quite large in the painting unless I made them smaller... AAArrrggghhhhh.......I could do it... I guess I'm worried about rubbing them out and leaving grooves and smudges, but hopefully the paint will cover it. Thanks Gary, I would prefer their whole bodies. =)) I am thinking about it and sleeping on it, but I agree. Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I agree - not good to have feet missing - nor to have them close to edge - there positioning was pretty ideal to me to start - and surf just lovely.
To me problem is the far shore line - must be a lot further awy than you are suggesting to be able to get the boat in. Sorry but I think you will have a boat/shore line issue with this one too. Arnie

crafor
10-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm going to offer more thoughts--take what you like and leave the rest:
I like the first picture much better.
I did not know that was a cruise ship out there--I thought is was an indication of surf.:eek:
I had started to say, in my first post, that for as small as what appeared to be a large house or barn, is, that shore needs pushed back atmospherically. I think the colors are too strong, it's showing the shore to be way too close.
Were it mine, I'd lose the ship, push back that far shore area, and continue on.
Ella
who knows nothing of what she's talking about!:o

DebbieO
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah I also think you need the feet. I wonder if the depth and scale issue is an an issue of atmosphere?

Debzy
10-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks Arnie, Ella and Debbie! I appreciate all help, and am prepared to draw this up yet again! I will incorporate the feet and when painting, will push the distance away by less vivid colour. I am going to post the reference photo and my sketch again and that may help you to help me =)) Cheers! I agree with all of you, very helpful indeed. Many thanks. Debs.

arnieb
10-06-2012, 03:57 AM
Think it may be the hut with the red roof thats the problem in your 1st post. With the shorter figures - in better position - the perspective with hut makes one think that far coast line is a lot nearer.
Its anoying to have these issues, but its a lot easer if fix now before doing any significant work. Also its OK - if not comon practice, to do more than one sketch before running with the chosen comp. I use windows paint to move stuff in photos around roughly - should really get a better program. Arnie

Debzy
10-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi Arnie, thank you I see what you mean. I am thinking of keeping the figures the same size but transferring them onto a larger watercolour paper and adding the feet. Do you think the rest is in perspective then? Cheers =)) Debs.

Debzy
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Well, :thumbsup: I drew it again on a larger piece of paper, the dimensions are 23 and a half inches, by 16 and a half inches! I think it is better. I am really fed up of drawing it, but I agree it's better to do it now than to never be happy with it in the end. DO you think it is better??? :crossfingers: I hope so, but if it's not please tell me. I will persevere. Hoping to put some paint on soon :clap: Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes thats looking a lot better (if I was making a comparison). Nicely drawn, pleasing composition, and they have something to look at.
Is the conifer too big?
I'd watch the dark shore line above boat and think about decluttering the far shore line - perhaps lose the large building on right, the people, and reduce boat body to a broad stroke with token mast?
Its about you kids, the surf and their view. Hope that helps. Arnie

rossmarie
10-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Debs - beautifully drawn brother and sister!

Personally, I would omit all other figures except the couple over Ben's head and I would move them along the beach to almost but just left of dead centre. That would be a small but not too prominent focal point on the far shore. Don't think you need too much to look at in the background when you paint it . Just how I see it - but you may think otherwise!

best wishes

Mike

Debzy
10-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Arnie and Mike! Thank you so much for your suggestions, time and help! I am so glad to hear from you both before starting the painting. I agree with both, too much fuss in the distance. I will re-check the conifer size, omit some people (can always add later if needed), keep the boat simple and simplify the surf club house on the right to just a suggestion. Now at least I have the main areas sketched and can work on from there. Thanks guys, you are both extremely observant, skilled and kind. Cheers =)) Debs.

arnieb
10-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Boat on water is great as 2nd COI . I was refering to the other boats in background. Looking fwd to seeing some colour on this one now. Arnie

Debzy
10-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi again all, finally able to post my next two stages of Sal and Ben! The photo I took is a bit blurry, the painting is much clearer than shows. I am ready to do the background now so any crits or advice on the work so far would be appreciated! These figures are 26 cms tall so it gives you an idea of the paintings dimensions. I think there are some proportion issues, but I am reluctant to change anything now as I spent so long on this much and am worried I may ruin it. I feel that once the whole painting is filled in they will be less obvious, and it is really just an impression of two people looking out over the ocean. Still, I will do what I can if something is really amiss. Cheers =)) Debs!!! Good to be back yay!!!

Revilo
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
This is looking great Debzy! A labour of love, obviously. I agree that the figures on the beach above your Son's head are distracting in that location.

Debzy
10-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much Revillo, yes I intend to move those figures, I got rid of the rest but forgot to change their location. I appreciate your feedback, labour of love yes, thats for sure! I am afraid to ruin it but cant wait to put the surrounds in. Cheers and many thanks =)) Debs.

rossmarie
10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Your two children look super Debzy! Lovely painting.

I think the one thing to guard against now is painting the background in too much detail or too strongly. The kids must stand out. Looking forward to seeing the next step (and by the way I am still getting "ack" on attempted posts of pictures!!)

crafor
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Looking much better. I agree re the busy-ness of the far shore. In the photo AND the unfinished painting, that busy-ness pulls my eyes away from the kids, an I look beyond they to that shore, and don't come back to the kids. You probably need something to look at over there, otherwise, we have just the kids and the boat, and out the picture to the left. I would leave out the first inch or two of the stuff on the right--that building, at least. That would give an oval pattern the eye can follow-kids to shore to boat and back.
Ella

Revilo
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I also think the building on the right is falling off the edge of the canvas and doesn't really need to be there for the composition--might be better to omit and simplify that part of the background.

Round
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi Debs
You've already started to capture that quintessentially 'Australian light' with your painting of the two figures.

I like the background and added visual interest of the surf club and activity around it. I agree about 'downplaying' it, but wouldn't lose it at all. It's about a sense of time and place (and your kids of course!) rather than a seaside view that could be anywhere.

Great start! Watercolours present such challenges!

Cheers
Juney

Debzy
10-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks Mike, Ella, Ron and Juney! Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback. I agree that if the background is too busy it will distract the eye from the main subject, but also as Juney says, it is about the day and what was happening. My oldest daughter Lizzy from Townsville, my youngest daughter Sally and myself were visiting my son Ben, to get together on the beach near his home. In fact just a few hundred meters away. My son Ben is 27 and working, but he is an avid surfer and rockclimber. This was the first time we had a chance to see his home and the beach where he and his girlfriend Sandy love to relax. All my kids and me, together for a lovely lunch on the beach. It is so rare for us these days given how busy everybody is. The activity on and around the beach is important, there were boats coming and going via a boat ramp, there were people windsurfing, walking, and general beach / almost summer activity. It was a great feeling to all be part of that. I think I will perhaps keep the surf club, but definitely it will not be a focal point, rather a reminder of the place. I will move the people walking along the beach to the viewers left of Ben's hat and keep the distance fairly vague. Thank you so much for helping me to decide, I was in a dilemma. Cheers and will post next instalment soon. =)) Debs.

Finally painting
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I really like the first composition and wonder also like Arnieb if you can't just lose the boat or maybe it just needs to be bigger and the upper body portions seem to be Ok angles when you block out the lower bodies. Maybe it's just the illusion, possibly you can put your son's one leg spread out back a little and the same with your daughter's and then they may seem to be just taking more of a stance on the sand while looking out over the water and shore. You know how your feet tend to sink when the water laps up to them. Love the colors, distant shore and the way the water looks.

Finally painting
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Me again, I think missed a page when I commented on your picture and I like the new composition too. Excellent the way you've started painting in your kids with the light and shadow. Looking forward to your new adjustments.

Debzy
10-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Thank you FP !!! I have been busy so only just had time to block in the water. Seeing as there is little going on in the forums at present I will post this stage so there is something different to look at =)) Normally would wait until the whole background is blocked in, but anyway, here is stage 3 ;). Not very exciting I'm afraid. Am working on it some more for a while now, will keep posting updates. Cheers =)) Debs. :thumbsup:

arnieb
10-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Great work on the figures there looking very relaxed - love the blue. Arnie

Debzy
10-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Thank you Arnie, that is such a wonderfully encouraging compliment, I feel so pleased that they came across relaxed..... because they were.!!! =)) My 3 children and myself are very close and although there is a gap of 9 years between Sal(18) and Ben(27), they are like soul mates and best friends and very comfortable and supportive of each other. As are they with my other daughter Lizzy who is 28. I am very lucky. I really hoped to convey their sibling bond. Ben is very protective of Sal and he was probably giving her advice of some sort. Anyway, enough of that, thank you Arnie, I truly appreciate your understanding and support. Cheers =)) Debs.

rossmarie
10-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Debs - three things:

1. Love the way you have painted Sal's hair! Looks super.

and a couple of 'fussy' details (I know it's very much work in progress but thought I'd just mention them.......

2. From the reference photo there is a very slight shadow spot about 3 inches above the top of her bikini bottom. In your painting, I think the colour is a bit too red and makes me think a large mosquito has got her (which I sincerely hope it hasn't!)

3. The back of her upper left leg looks a bit red and sunburnt compared with the reference photo.

Not sure my latter two criticisms are really valid because they result from seeing your reference photo. Sometimes I think we should avoid photo references for comparison. After all, we are not trying to replicate a photographic image but just want to capture the essence of a scene - which I think you will do very successfully.

Cheers,

Debzy
10-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks Mike for your observations, I can see what you mean and I think I can tone them down some. Probably just use a tissue and add a little moisture then dab them so they are not so obvious. :thumbsup: I have blocked in some more of the background and the sand now, but still a way to go. I have not done anything with the water yet, I do intend to add waves and darker shadows in the water, just doing different sections of the painting at a time so that I can observe in between and decide how I will tackle the next stage. :confused: It is a reasonably large work and I feel a bit overwhelmed with it. :eek: :eek: I so appreciate you following along and advising, I love your watercolour work, I wish I could be as free with mine.:crossfingers: Cheers and thanks again Mike. =)) Debs. :D :wave:

arnieb
10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Coming along nicely :thumbsup: Arnie

Debzy
10-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks Arnie! Its taking it's time, I'm spending more time contemplating how to attack each different stage rather than jump in head first. =)) Cheers Debs.

crafor
10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
This is much more pleasing. The background is there, but softened enough it doesn't distract, but is something to look at later, after we check out the people, the water, the boat. The shore line and surf bring the eye back to the COI. The only negative that catches me eye is the 4 shadows across the water--three dark lines on the far shore and really dark spot just to the left of the building with the red room and the dark roof. I think that darker spot to the left is a shadow. I think those 4 areas are too dark for the distance.
Ella

Debzy
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi Ella and thank you for your observations! I think once I have finished the water the dark areas on the far shore wont be as obvious. I have only blocked in the water and intend to darken some areas and improve the waves / surf / colours etc. I will also add a little more refinement to the distant shoreline and trees etc but not overdo it. Thanks for sticking with me on this one, so good to have such helpful feedback and keen eyes! Cheers =)) Debs.

Round
11-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Hi Debs

This is coming along really nicely. The wet sand and your children's shadows are really convincing. I like what you've done with the background so far, including the surf club and foreshore and the cliffs/sandhills.

Cheers
Round

pjartwc
11-01-2012, 06:56 AM
What a great improvement from your first entry. Your figures are great and the water and background are coming along nicely. I really like the way you described the distant hills and houses above the figures. Would like to see more of that.

rossmarie
11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Debs - I like your background beach and cliffs - excellent and not overdone.

You probably have this in mind.....but the boat needs a few "tweaks" to make it look more realistic. For example, slightly curve the top of the hull upwards towards the bow (right hand end) and paint in some shadow to the hull (right half) and under the bow. This will create the feeling of shape to the boat and the curve of the hull to a point. I think the figure in the boat needs to be a little more obvious and his/her head silhouetted against the water.

Anyway, this is detail and only my opinion so I'll shut up now and look forward to the next post!

Mike:)

Debzy
11-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi Round, Jan and Mike! Thank you all so much for the feedback, I really hope this one turns out nice.:crossfingers: I have had so little time to get on with it due to work commitments and it is frustrating me as I am excited to get to the next stage. :clap: Mike, yes I will take your advice on the boat, I had only blocked it in so far, I want to do quite a bit more to the water, boat and sand as well. Your suggestions are very much appreciated and I hope you never shut up because I really value your input and encouragement and always look forward to hearing from you! :clap: Your artistic expertise is valuable to me. :thumbsup: Cheers all my friends :grouphug: and thank you again. :D Debs.

Debzy
04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone! I finally got back to this painting and have worked on the water. I have also changed my daughters legs slightly. Any feedback welcome, I haven't yet touched the distant cliffs and trees, just wondering what your thoughts are here! I have been away from painting for a short time again due to work committments etc, but am keen to get back again now. Cheers and hope you are all keeping well. =)) Debs. xxx

Revilo
04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Really nice Debs. Your Children will fight over who gets to display it!

arnieb
04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
This painting is pure delight. Figures and water:thumbsup: .
Recognize the problem of everything else getting in the way of the painting. Arnie

Debzy
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much Ron and Arnie! I really appreciate your comments. I will be working on it again in a day or so and will post the next stage. It has been in the works for a while now but I would like to finish it soon. Tricky and I can only work on it when I feel confident that I wont spoil it. :)) have to be in the right mind frame! Cheers and thanks again. :)) Debs. X

crafor
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Debs, This is a big improvement.
The water is believable with movement and color, the froth at the edges.
The boat is more appropriately sized. What are those two objects behind it--are they boats, too?
Sal is very well done: round, lifelike. At this point, Ben hasn't quite reached that state, to MY eyes. He looks a little flat. Possibly due to shadows and shading, or, lighting.
Suggestions: The water line in the distance should be level/flat. Shadows of the people need added, possibly with some hint of reflections in wet sand under their feet. Seems the shadow of her upper body would hit him, as well as lower body. The shirt under his left arm should be a bit darker. Their shadows suddenly end at the edge of that froth to the right of his right foot. It would continue into the water beyond that froth. IMHO :)
Ella

Debzy
04-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Thank you so much Ella, lovely to catch up again! I thank you for your advice and input, I can see what you mean! I still have to work some more on Ben, and the shadow is tricky because that is all that really shows on the picture reference. I will darken it and try to add some reflection, it may make the scene more solid. The distant blobs are rocks, I haven't done them properly yet, and I will try to straighten up the far shoreline, though it does have a slight curve and waves are making it a little uneven. I will post the next stage when I have reached it. I hope you are keeping well my friend and still painting too! Take care. =)) Cheers. Debs.

rossmarie
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, Debs, nice to see you on the scene again. I think you have done a splendid job on this one - very well done. Others have made tweaking suggestions but I would not do much more ...there is a time to stop!

The waves in the foreground are super as are Sal & Ben. Award yourself a medal and a large glass of Australian Red.

Mike

Apodemus
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Admirable.
You could have settled for something lesser but I like the way you took the good advice on here and restarted twice - ending up with something so much better than either of the first two versions. Not much more to do here, I don't think?

Mike

Debzy
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Thank you Mike and Mike! M&M :) I am so pleased that you like this and also that you see it as nearly done! Definitely the red is in order very soon! This has not been an easy one for me and quite long winded! I have just a few minor things to attend to on it then will leave it before it becomes overworked. So good to hear from you both thanks again! P.s. Mike, I entered some paintings in the local show, which is quite large with several hundred paintings. I entered in 3 different classes but no places. However, a man bought my most expensive painting along with the first prize winners painting! I was thrilled. I put a very high price on it to test the market and nearly passed out when told that it was sold! It was my Autumn scene, "autumn in Bilpin". I guess that's as good as getting a place to me! It has inspired me to do more paintings now and get ready for next year :)). Cheers and catch up again soon. Debs. X

Round
04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Debs
I love your painting of the water. Great wave action!

The colours and light in this work resonate so strongly as an Australian beach scene. I really like, too, the natural poses (always tricky} you have achieved with your son and daughter. Very well done!

I agree with Mike that you don't need to do much more with this work. Bravo!

Congrats on the sale. Fabulous!

Cheers
Round

Trumper
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Just out of interest Deb did you frame the prints before you sold them? well done :)

Revilo
04-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Congrats! Well deserved.

Debzy
04-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Thank you Round, Trumper and Revillo! As always your friendly encouragement and wonderful advice is very much appreciated and valued. Trumper, I sold originals, not prints. I always frame them to sell, but I know others who just sell with matting around them. Framing can be expensive and it has to be taken into consideration when pricing, but an attractive frame can certainly enhance a painting and make a difference between a sale or not! Round, thanks for your lovely feedback, always great to hear from you, thanks for taking the time. Hope you are all well. Cheers :) Debs. X

Trumper
04-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi Deb,i did mean paintings not prints LOL.I did wonder about framing because it is a very personal thing for each potential purchaser so i did wonder if it was better left either unframed or a very neutral frame :)

Debzy
04-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Trumper. I just frame it the best I can to enhance the painting. If its a commission then I do ask the buyer if they have a preference. The frame can make the painting in my opinion. I prefer to sell with a frame. Complete. Cheers :) Debs. X

Debzy
04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
I have added some detail to the headland / distance, I hope I haven't overworked. I have touched up the figures a little more and darkened the shadow on the beach. All and any suggestions, critique, feedback welcome. I think it is almost finished now. Cheers =)) Debs.

Apodemus
04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Not overworked at all in my opinion, and just the moment to sign it and stop!

Mike

Debzy
04-29-2013, 06:27 AM
Wow Mike, thank you! I feel pretty close to done but just a little tweak here and there. Just probably 10 minutes then I will call it done. I really appreciate your comment and support. I will post the finished work very soon. Cheers and thank you. Debs. =))

crafor
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Of course my eye goes right to the people. First, let me say the background is rich and lush.
The mid ground (water) is believable, cool, inviting. Good lighting and values.

The foreground, is almost there, IMHO. Two areas there (I think) need a bit of adjustment: her bottom and the shadows. You have rendered roundness with light and shadow pretty much on both people, except on her bottom. I think, where her butt turns under, there would be a value change in both the rose and the blue. Not much, maybe just a slight glaze over to make that color on the curve differ from the upper part of the area. Not much, just a tad. The shadow on the sand extending beyond him is quite dark compared to the shadow extending from her.
He looks much better now.
Hope this helps. My thoughts only. Use what you feel is right.
Ella

Debzy
05-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Ella, thank you so much for your feedback and your suggestions. I really appreciated them and have worked the final stages now I think. I have darkened the shadow, changed the shadow on Sally, added a little more detail to the headland and distant beach, a couple of suggestions of figures in the distance on the beach, highlights to the boat ( used a bit of white Guache), altered the surf club a little and I think thats it! Still open to any more suggestions, but I think I risk overworking it if I add anything else. Cheers and thanks again Ella. I have enjoyed doing this one though it has been rather painstaking at times!. XXX Debs. :thumbsup: :D :crossfingers:

crafor
05-09-2013, 11:19 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :wave: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ella

rossmarie
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
STOP!! Great!

Mike

Debzy
05-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks so much Ella and Mike! On your artistic advice I have decided to stop! Yes, now I can begin another. I appreciate every bit of your support and kind suggestions, your skills and talents have led me through until I have achievedy goal. I am very happy with the result and you folk have been an amazing encouragement all the way. Cheers 😄👍Debs. XXX

docsaro
05-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Great work .. love to do one like this..

Saravanan.

Debzy
05-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Thanks so much Docs, really appreciate your feedback. It was fun doing this one for sure. Cheers :) Debs.

Debzy
06-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Hi all, I thought I would post a couple of pictures of this painting framed to see what you think and also to give you an idea of the size. I was very happy with the frame ( not cheap though) =)) but oh well, I think it turned out OK and it is for our home so didn't mind paying a bit more. Cheers and thanks for all the support and for viewing. Cheers =)) debs. xxx:thumbsup: :wave:

gebhm
06-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I really like this one! I do not believe I would have the patience required to do water colors, especially one as good as this. Nice job.

Trumper
06-29-2013, 02:02 PM
WOW Cracking-what a difference a frame makes,well done.Pride of place i hope :)

crafor
06-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Debs, wonderful!--And that blue matting really sets it off. Very well done. It's beautiful.
Ella

Debzy
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your very kind compliments I am very happy with the frame and it does have pride of place. I tried to create the illusion of the beach and sand continuing to give it a feeling of expanse and endlessness as one feels on a large beach. I also wanted a frame that looked like weathered beach wood. I'm so glad. You like it. Cheers and thank you. =)) Debs. X

arnieb
07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Very well done - waves/figures are so natural.:thumbsup: Arnie