PDA

View Full Version : Crumby Elephant

crumbedbrains
08-24-2003, 02:48 AM
Hey all,

Had planned to do this as a WIP but my digicam is out of action (borrowed a camera from a mate of mine for this pic).

This is a relative quickie for me as it is quite painterly up close. I wanted to play around with colour in this pic with the main colours being green and orange within the elephant itself (even the shading on the tusk is very green when up close). Funny, as long as you get the tone correct it really doesn't matter what colour you choose just so long as they convey the feeling you're after. Aiming for a dusk style painting here.

This also started out just as a practice piece as it is done on velour paper . . never used it before. If you're into painterly styles I would recommend it highly as it takes the pastel very well . . not too sure of the archival quality of this stuff though. I'd imagine it would also let go of the pastel with time. I wouldn't rave about it if your into VERY fine detail but it could be done I'm sure. Anyway this was a fun piece to do . . not as arduous as most of my stuff.

It's also quite large being 70cm x 45cm (27ins x 18ins).

Any comments welcome, particularly with regard the background. Also I have two questions:

1. Where the hell do I sign this piece?
2. Anybody got any experience with regard fixative on velour paper . .I normally use the lightest of light sprays but am afraid to in case I ruin this. (will get it photographed before/if I spray)

Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2003/10882-elephant_002_modifiedWC.jpg

Dark_Shades
08-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Welcome back Crumby lol....... erm, a quickie for you :confused: lol dont believe it ..... how many hours so far :)

Looking fantastic already......... is this the whole pic or a crop to what you are working on?

1.) sign or carve your name in the tusk :)
2.) Ive used fixative on velour....... keep it light and at a distance,
but was still shocked at HOW much pastel drops from it, keep
movement of paper or card to absolute Minimum (much prefer
Velour Boards, but even with them you get pastel dropping,
but not so much)

As for background, I would just keep it vague...... hints of bush grasses

Redsy333
08-24-2003, 07:18 AM
OOPS! I just asked in one of my threads if youve started anew one ...and welp here ye be!!!
hehe
We must be walking that same brainwave...both working in the elephant group!! hehe
Hey this is awsome of course:D:D:D

Sign your name right side within the elephants trunk, black and discreet. Make it seen but not seen!;)

Fixative...I dont use it anymore!!:D

MarciaJane
08-24-2003, 07:24 AM
WOW!!..... again !!!

Every time you do a pic Crumby that is my first reaction!!!!
You never cease to amaze me with what you do... such detail.... and a quickie too???? LOL!

Is this going to be the whole picture or is this just a close up of part of it.

Maybe some african scrubland/grasses in the backgound somehow... but I am sure whatever you do will be fantastic.... who am I to suggest!!! LOL!! Can't wait to see the next bit! :)

meowmeow
08-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Stunning! I am always stunned by your work...and this is no exception.
I guess I would have signed it in the background somewhere but I think the tusk would work fine.

Sandy

doe
08-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Totally stunning! Love it as is, wouldn't add anything to the background, but that's just my opinion. The discreet signature is always my choice too, lower right trunk area.

nougat
08-24-2003, 08:39 AM
This is amazing !!!
nadine

crumbedbrains
08-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone,

A few have asked . . . this is actually the entire painting . . . I like the close crop so there ain't no more!!! lol. Initially thought that it might have been better including an eye but then thought it would take away from the tusk and texture of the skin. With regards the background, I'm not planning on putting anything specific there as again I think that might detract from the image however I was a little concerned about the colours but no-one seems to have been bothered by them so I guess they're OK

I'll take your advice and sign it indiscreetly bottom right and I'll call it finished!!
Cheers
Crumby

meowmeow
08-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Tusk/trunk! :D Doh! I was thinking people were telling you to sign in the tusk..which I frankly thought was pretty weird. But they said the trunk...that I like! :D
This is great...I said it before and I am saying it again!

Sandy

Dyin
08-24-2003, 11:42 AM
just now saw this....WOW!!! Love the crop on it...love the colors...very successful...glad you're signing the lower right trunk area...I like discreet too...and glad you're leaving as is...very effective this way...really, impressed with this one...and I have my tinyhead on velour...stuck in a portfolio under a plastic sleeve...been bounced on a move and everything and it's holding the pastels better than some framed pieces that aren't on velour...but a light fixing at a distance wouldn't hurt...very light...from at least a couple feet away...this is great...:clap:

Deborah Secor
08-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Mmmm, yes, another nice one Crumby. Your detail is amazing to me--but this comes from a gal who considers a painting she worked on for two sessions to be toiling and straining...

I'd sign it right in the middle bottom, just because the color of the background is a little darker so it would be even more discreet. I particularly like the way you have woven the colors of the animal into the lighter value background colors.

Nice!