PDA

View Full Version : Fisher 400 like Mi Tientes Tex?

Mettaphorica
10-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Hi all
doing some research, seems Fisher 400 paper is a good one. I asked my local Art Supply store, and he said that he didn't carry it, but had Mi Tientes Tex as the same thing. I already use Mi Tientes Tex.

Is this true, are they similar? What about AS Supertooth, opinions on that?

thanks
cheers
Donna

Ruthie57
10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
I think mi Tientes "tex" is sold over here as "touch". This has a slightly abrasive surface but, to me, is still more textured than sanded. It is NOTHING like Fisher 400! Fisher is more comparable to Uart (which I've tried) and Wallis (which I haven't).
Never tried AS supertooth but I like the "ordinary" one.

Colorix
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi Donna, I agree with Ruthie. I'd say the tex is more like AS Colourfix. Uart, Wallis (both USA) and Fisher 400 (UK) have the grain 'glued on', just like ordinary sandpaper. While AS and tex mix the grit into a gesso-like substance.

You can test hardware store sandpaper of fine grit, like a nail file, to see if you like it, and then import it from whatever country is cheaper (in Europe, it is much more exonomical to get it from the UK). I find Fisher 400 and Uart 400 to be very similar, only the Uart has more of a pattern to it.

*Deirdre*
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I've moved this over to the Talk Section as that's where it belongs...but I've left a redirect in the Gallery/Studio just in case you can't find it.

Having used both Fisher 400 and Wallis, they are similar...but you're more likely to be able to get hold of Wallis easily in the USA, whereas, here, in the UK, Fisher400 is more easily obtained. In both cases you can import it...but that's your choice.:D
You'll find numerous threads on pastel papers and boards - in this section.
And here's the poll on papers (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607860&highlight=Fisher+Wallis) Also has a lot of discussion.

Mettaphorica
10-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Hi
Thank you all for your responses and clarifying that for me. I'm familiar with Tex, and also AS Colorfix, I've ordered a paper sampler from Dakota (the postage is worth it) and have a Wallis sample in that, plus Pastelmat, which I also can't seem to find in Australia (bet someone here reading this knows).
cheers
Donna