PDA

View Full Version : Regard

mallory
08-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Regard is the tentative title to the small 9" x 12" watercolor, collage and ink piece. I haven't signed it, because I'm not sure I want it hung in this direction. If I wasn't so lazy I would post all four orientations and put it up as a poll. :) Because it is a small format, I figure this might give some small wall in a house a bit of give and take that it didn't have before. Comments welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2003/5199-Collage1.JPG

mallory

Tamana
08-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Mallory!! Wonderful to see you over this way!! And, with a collage too!! :D

I've had to look at this a couple of times because you said you weren't sure how you wanted it hung. But, anyway you hang it (and I have turned it and turned it), the empty white bothers me.

I LOVE that emerald and ink contrasting the cool warmth of the piece (especially the bleeding through of them in the center with those tip marks).

I just feel like it's incomplete. I think the entire palette should be saturated with color, perhaps some more depth against those lovely hues.......but what do I know?

mallory
08-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tamana
But, anyway you hang it the empty white bothers me.

Thanks for the feedback Tam. I will take your comments about the untouched white under advisement. :) They don't bother me (at least at this point). Maybe because it is because I come from a Watercolorist background and we are always preserving the whites. To me the pure while adds high value contrast from a design point of view and provides a void or negative space that allows you to see "through" the "filled-in area", thus creating a sense of three dimensionality. Well, that's how I'm looking at it. But, I will keep looking at it.

And, if other's echo your concern, I will certainly have to take it under a lot of advisement :D

Peace to you,
mallory

Tamana
08-22-2003, 02:25 PM
I was thinking about something re: the white, and came back to have one more looksy at the top center left shadowed bit behind the emerald/ink there. I notice that's not repeated anyway you turn it.

You know, maybe not addition of color but some more bare shadowing would be good.

Anyway... lol @ advisement!! Mallory I have no idea what I am talking about. (o O why do I feel like you KNOW that?! O o)

"Regard"s(less) - :D I'm glad you're over this way and sharing with us.

mallory
08-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Tamana
I one more looksy at the top center left shadowed bit behind the emerald/ink there.

But, Tam, that's not a shadow, its an sharp-edged-bent-dark-thing-a-ma-bob! No wonder our interpretations were going in different directions! ;)

mallory

Tamana
08-22-2003, 04:15 PM
It doesn't look dark to me.....it looks grey with a pink tip BEHIND the dark ink.

Mary Riggs
08-22-2003, 07:34 PM
IMHO, this is GRAND just as is. Sign and frame it!

The darks really make for excellent contrast with the colors and the white of the paper. Beautiful transparencies with the dark green. Simply lovely.

blkros
08-22-2003, 09:15 PM
LEAVE THE FRIGGING WHITE!!!!!

It sets of the rest of those wonderful colors.

Great one Mallory.

Veronica
08-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Juicy and alive....I love it! Nice command of the transparent pigments.

surreal
08-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Very interesting painting.
:)

Tamana
08-23-2003, 02:12 AM
KEEP THE FRIGGIN' WHITE BEFORE KEEF HAD A HISSY!!!

lol

blkros
08-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Sorry Mallory (and Tam :p) you don't have to keep the white if you don't want. (But I think that it makes the piece.)

sue ellen
08-23-2003, 09:29 AM
I have to agree with keeping the white. The pristine white make a strong contrast with the controlled chaos of the color. The white gives the "Bite" to the color.

mallory
08-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the comments and don't worry, I'm leaving the whites. I'm satisfied with the orientation so I'll go ahead and sign it and add another one to my inventory. :)

mallory

somerset
08-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Was torn between leaving as is or turned 90' to the right. Don't think it will be part of your 'inventory' for long.

amanda
08-24-2003, 05:45 AM
it's not dark, my first thoughts were that it's quite pretty.

Dahzl
08-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Lovely work Mallory :D

and the "Friggin White" Looks Great :D :D

Cheers Dahzl :)

Tamana
08-24-2003, 02:52 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :p to ALL you white freaks!!!!

:D

Dahzl
08-26-2003, 01:04 AM
:p :p :p :p:p to ALL you white freaks!!!!
Shouts the girl who LOVESssssssssssssssssYELLOWWWWWW !!:D

:D :D