PDA

View Full Version : Time for Creativity?

Stoy Jones
08-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Out of curiosity, how much time do you devote to creativity? Does your craft demand a lot of your time or does life demand more? Do you find that time productive?

I may start by saying that I'm currently starting to get my time back now that my son is beginning school again and the fact that I have a night job, I can work in approximately four to five hours a day (spread out) working on my sketches, drawings, or my portfolio website.

Whether its productive is sometimes debatable :D being that sketching and drawing can be a drudge at times, but it is still "quality" time getting the experience that I need. Other days when the unforseen occurs, I don't get much time at all unless it is on my dinner hour at work. Summer vacation, I'm lucky to doodle at all!

On the weekends, I'm off completely and spend that time with my wife and son. I found this to be a helpful rest time, so I'm ready to go on Monday.

It took a lot of fustration and lack of inspiration to reach this desired schedule. Sometimes it doesn't run so smooth, but for now it works for me.

What is your time like?

Stoy Jones

arriviste
08-22-2003, 02:19 AM
Glad to read that you've got so much time coming up to work, Stoy Jones. I'm starting to really value my time / become conscious of how distracted I can become. Since I just quit my job, I plan to devote more time to rebuilding my skills.

I'm not bereft of labor, though...I've already started working for my mum-in-law. She has been in art education for 35 - 40 years. She never quit going when she retired, it seems, with all the workshops and sub teaching. Now she has a small art school and I'm to assist with the minutiae.

Aside from that, I'll be taking care of my husband's grandmother and her house three days a week. She's having trouble with Parkinson's and memory, so I get to hang out with her and keep things tidy.

Both jobs are rewarding -- plus they really jog my creativity. I'm not making near the money I was before, but I'm more fulfilled. We're planning on branching into selling some supplies and original art, too.

Can't wipe this goofy grin off my face...

Trilliann
08-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Stoy Jones
(...) being that sketching and drawing can be a drudge at times (...)

Ooooh I'm glad you said that! I've had oil painting classes for 2-3 years when I was a kid, and I always loved those classes and even though I haven't done anything substantial for the last, let's say, 25 years, I still love drawing and painting. But, yes, I would love to confess that sketching and drawing may take longer than I can handle!

Exercising my creativity is in my to-do list like physical exercising: I'm always saying that I have to do some structured, regular exercising but I never get there. But just like physical exercising, you always have the chance to "embed" some creative activity in your daily tasks. Working with children is the best: you find something new to do and they just go with it! Photography is a good way to exercise creativity, because it's not as demanding as other graphic arts: less mess to clean up, less supplies to put away when you're done, less time to capture your idea, less physical work, less compromise - it's funny that those same reasons (looked from the other side) help make painting so attractive as a creative activity! (it gives painting - as an activity - an aura, which then gives it a deeper importance; and it gets you completely involved, your fingers, your body, you can't grab your brushes and leave them as easily as you can grab a camera and leave it).

But... I tend to talk too much when talking about doing creative stuff, so I'll stop. It makes up for other times when I'm too quiet. They say in Brazil that a dog that barks doesn't bite, so I better stop barking and start biting too. Anyway, I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from DickBlick and it should be delivered today, I can't wait to start painting again. I'm so excited!

Stoy Jones
08-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Arriviste, aren't you lucky to have work that can be creative and to be surrounded by others who create. When I started taking classes at the local gallery, my drive to draw went through the roof. I credit those classes for helping me to build a schedule to create and to stick to it.

Trilliann, if you start painting (or your drawings), I would be interested to see your work! Let me know which forum you intend to post, so I could take a look :) I've been guilty of taking the easy way out at times only because it takes too much time to start or finish. Getting all my work posted at my site and writing code for it takes more time than I care. That is why so much of it is "under construction".

Stoy

Trilliann
08-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Stoy, let's see if I'm that bold!!!
Thanks for your interest, though!

jramoyo
08-23-2003, 01:11 PM
im a university student and i can barely afford art classes, so i just study and practice alone. i feel very creative at times when i feel bad and frustrated--painting soothes my stress.

i have a problem though, i guess working alone really doesn't help much in assesing my capabilities, infact im quite shy to show other people my work because im afraid they won't appreciate my works (aren't very easy to comprehend).

Trilliann
08-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Stoy, jramoyo:

There, I just started drawing again and posted my WIP to the Open Critique forum.
It hurt... but I did!
As this is a work in progress, and a gift for my mother-in-law, I may receive some tips that will help make it better!

jramoyo, I am learning by myself too... and I'm sure lots of other people here too :)

Stoy Jones
08-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Trilliann, great job on both accounts! It looks like you are off to a great start and you got some very helpful advice. I like your first attempt and I personally see some good things happening.

jramoyo, hopefully being here is changing some of that.

Stoy

O'Connor
09-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Somehow it bothers me to hear people say they don't have enough time.
That's all the time you get, we can't make more.
What they mean, what they should be saying is "I keep allowing myself to fill my time with things that are unfulfilling, or that I really don't need to do."

Granted we've all got responsibilities, but
don't take it too seriously,
it's only life.

Do more of what you want. Do more of what makes you you,
that's why we love you.

That's the you we love.

ginatec
09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I devote as much time as I possibly can to my art. Strange when you work you put in the hours...now I paint...I find the house can take over. So I am very firm. Minimum housework...unless the dust and the guilt kick in at the same time.
It is amazing how many things you can do quicker if you really try. Ironing is also cut to a minimum, sheets don't need ironing and there are many more items that can get away with folding.

Gina

DanaT
09-05-2003, 03:21 PM
That sounds like a plan, ginatec.

But me I have to choose between a lot of fun stuff. Do I paint today, or do I draw, or do I go sketching in the cafe?

Decisions, decisions!

ginatec
09-05-2003, 05:43 PM
They are good things to choose from...you sound like you are having fun Dana!:)

Gina

Sashalynn
09-05-2003, 09:03 PM
I too am still learning and on my own. Right now i have lots of time, I couldnt get into school because they froze inrollment for fall. So untill January I dont have awhole lot to do, therapy three times a week but thats art therapy too, pottery and ceramics, so I guess I spend alot of time creating. I feel very lucky to be able to right now because that will change very soon.

sashalynn

DanaT
09-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ginatec
They are good things to choose from...you sound like you are having fun Dana!:)

Gina

Yes, Gina, or it would be, if I didn't have the "greener grass" syndrome. You know when you're sketching and you think you should be painting? or when you're painting and you think you should be doing something else?

Oh well, I still manage to have fun!

Good for you sasha! I hope you take advantage of the time between now and when school starts.

ginatec
09-06-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Sashalynn
I too am still learning and on my own. Right now i have lots of time, I couldnt get into school because they froze inrollment for fall. So untill January I dont have awhole lot to do, therapy three times a week but thats art therapy too, pottery and ceramics, so I guess I spend alot of time creating. I feel very lucky to be able to right now because that will change very soon.

sashalynn

Enjoy it while you can! I adore your tiny head...is that from one of your paintings?

Gina

Keith Russell
09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
I try to work in the studio at least three or four evenings each week, for at least three hours at a time.

Sometimes I'm in the studio from 7 PM to midnite, at other times its from 10 PM to 1 AM.

On the weekends, I try to devote at least four hours on Saturday, and at least 8 hours on Sundays.

But, wherever I am, I'm always thinking about art, whether my current works-in-progress, works that I've started planning, budgeting for upcoming show fees, scheduling meetings with my writer-collaborator, my photographer, supplies I need, etc.

K

Sashalynn
09-10-2003, 06:25 PM
The tiny head is one of the ones provided that i can not for the life of me remember what its called right now.

I'm actually having lots of fun at the moment and hope that everyone else it to. Well not today, its rainy and gray, but other then that I'm enjoying life right now.

And when Im not doing art I am also thinking about it or reading about it. Hardly ever leaves my mind. Ive missed my bus stop because of it. LOL