PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Wave 2

Marty C
08-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Hi All.
Another view of the breaking wave subject. Foreground in this is darker than reality, seems to be some quirk of using the digital camera with a flash. I seem to get better results using natural light. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me being a technical idiot?. Anyway, this is the only image I have of this painting so pardon the quality. Size is 90 by 60cm on board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2003/16809-Cloudbreak1.JPG

turri
08-22-2003, 02:59 AM
This is even better than those previous waves. All those hues of blue are really fascinating. Are you using photographs as a model or are you painting without any models at all?

There is an article about taking pictures of paintings. You should check it, maybe it will be helpful: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/

Marty C
08-22-2003, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the comments Turri. If you want to see one of my better waves look for the G-land post I made earlier. I paint waves from a mix of photos and observation. I have been surfing for about 35 years so I have seen many waves in all sorts of lighting situations. I have only been painting since 2001 so I have a store of photos and memories to draw on. Thanks also for the article suggestion - I think my main problem is leaving on a cover designed to be used in outdoor situations which blocks part of the flash light.

MarciaJane
10-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Blimey !!.... this is just great..... you say my work is good but this takes some beating too Marty !!! I looked in your profile to find this pic as it is so wonderful.... hope you don't mind!!! :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ChasCreek
10-12-2003, 08:30 AM
great picture Marty.

As my x said "if you go surfing again today, I'm going to leave you"... sometimes I even miss her now shes gone :p lol

Charlie

serge
10-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Hello Marty,

Nice painting. Working perfectly for me, no critic to do.

Serge

Marty C
10-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi Marcia
Thanks for the compliments. I was kind of surprised to see this thread pop up again, I posted it quite a while ago. I realy don't think it is one of my best, it was done some time ago now and I hope my technique has improved a little since then. I did heaps of seascapes and waves due to my surfing background. I do mainly landscapes now as my wife can't bear to see any more blue in the house:p I did sneak in a river in my latest though lol.
Hi Charlie - thanks. My wife is a surfing widow, if the surf is working I am gone and she is cool with that, after fourteen years together she knows I am too twitchy if the swell is up and the wind is offshore!
Hi Serge - thanks again for your kind comments.
Marty:)

BruceF
10-13-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Marty C
Foreground in this is darker than reality, seems to be some quirk of using the digital camera with a flash. I seem to get better results using natural light. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me being a technical idiot?. ...

Definitely keep the flash off as much as possible. Especially when using a digital camera. With the flash the highlights get even brighter and it shifts the balance of the picture. Digitals are far more sensitive to this than film cameras.

BTW, I love the waves. :)

Marty C
10-14-2003, 03:09 AM
Thanks Bruce for the information. No matter what I try however the digital shot never looks as good as the original painting, especially where darks are concerned.
Marty:)