PDA

View Full Version : landscape help

Dyin
08-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Ok, gonna bite the bullet here...won't do this as a WIP...too slow. I'm really struggling with this, almost tossed it once...the trouble is I just have a block concerning landscape...I know there should be three different grounds, that blue or lavendar makes things recede and that less is better than detail on landscape....but it won't translate for me!!!! This is actually the best tree I've ever done...I've had every color under the sun on these grasses...the back was darker then lightened it and it has lavender scumbled on it but any more and it pops forward...the middle was supposed to be more ochre but it ends up looking muddy and ochre and lavender just turned to an ugly mud on me...I love doing critters...I used two different ones and set up this scene and am totally making up the landscape...part of the problem??? And if I do get it past this point what and where should other bushes etc be placed??? My grass looks stupid and I'm so detail oriented and trying to just get a 'feel' so HELP!!!! I'll listen but too slow to do like Sandy and get it right back up looking all good lol!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2003/19147-zebra_wip.jpg
I'm pretty happy with the zebra...love doing animals but need to learn how to do the setups...here's a close up...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2003/19147-wip_zebra_cu.jpg

Thanks...know you'll have TONS of help for me!!! Be merciless...

Mo.
08-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Sue.... Okay, I'm going to be pretty cruel here and I may find myself one friend short afterwards, but hope you can take this....
first of all your composition.... everything is leading up to the top left corner and out of the picture.... what you have to decide before you go any further is your focal point... is it the lion or the zee?... The lion is a predator yes?.....and the zee is the prey... so why is the lion looking out of the pic?... His eyes would be on his dinner.:D....Really think about your composition firstly , before tearing your hair out about the grasses.

Just a note... ochre and lavender...... complementary colours..... when mixed will give mud. :) ....Hope I haven't offended here, butI can see you really want this to work, so play around in Photoshop with your composition, ...btw.. if you need material...zebs, lions let me know... I have lots of pics that may help you out.

Mo.:)

Dyin
08-21-2003, 07:28 PM
That was the best you got???? lol! K...The jaguar (he will be) is the focal point...he's eyeing the rest of the herd out of the picture and this is the zebra that's about to bust him...and the tree was supposed to act as a stop so your eye DIDN't go out of the photo...from what I've read the zebra looking at the jag should direct you back to him and the two should create a tension...that was my hope anyways...and there were supposed to be a whole line of shrubs, trees but it seemed to crowd it in....also...thought complementary colors made nice neutral grays...lots do...first time with lavender and ochre...yep, mud!
Oh, and eventually the jag will be nestled in the grass, almost out of sight of the zebra...geesh, thought it would work...anyways...keep em coming...but help on the colors and grass!!!!...
and geesh Mo, why would I ask if I didn't want to know??? ok...that's it...off the friend list!!!! :evil: :D :p

meowmeow
08-21-2003, 09:36 PM
I think Mo is right about the composition...and I would imagine that trying to make up the landscape, especially since you don't like to do landscapes, is difficult. Maybe you can find a reference photo to help you with it.
But...I LOVE your zebra!!!! ANd the drawing of the jag (or whatever he is) looks great too! You do critters great.
I don't do all those detailed figures so sometimes I can fly along...and sometimes I would be better off if I slowed myself down. I just have no patience! :D

Sandy

Dyin
08-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks Sandy...I love doing the critters...but if I want to do them I need to do the rest...sigh

meowmeow
08-21-2003, 10:14 PM
I know it's hard sometimes...but it would be worth it for you to struggle through it. Your critters are wonderful and they need some landscape to reside in! :D
I did Sassy...and I have never done a dog before. Look at the pain I suffered through it! :D But it was worth it in the end. My daughter saw it this afternoon and she is delighted with it.
So just keep working away...you'll get it. Eventually. And don't worry about how long it takes!

Sandy

Dyin
08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Sandy...I'm so glad for you that your daughter loved Sassy! I've admired how hard you work on your pieces, so you're a good inspiration!

Dark_Shades
08-22-2003, 12:14 PM
ohhhh I was gonna come in here and larf!!! :D ..... I was expecting....... Grrrreeens lolol

The zebra is coming along lovely Sue.... like the coloour of the grass against it...... but Im a bit confused.... so this isnt a lion, but a Jaguar? :confused: .... I thought they were Jungle Cats, and wouldnt be associated with Zebras

MKathleen
08-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Hey Sue: Your flying by the seat of your pants gal!
Sorry I've been away today, but I'm back and wanted to comment on your painting. I haven't read the other posts so this may repeat or may not repeat other's thoughts and suggestions. So just take what will help you and leave the rest!
Speaking for myself I need a road map of what I'm planning to paint. By that I mean a sketch/or actual completed drawing--then it goes onto my support. Another helpful thing for me is to work my painting as a whole--apply the local colors to the objects in the painting. Then I start at the top and work my way down around and thru my painting.
Because your zebra is in the background it's not going to be as prominent in color as you show it. Also check the Zebra looks a little short from chest to rear end.
What I'd like to see is for you to get some color into the lion so you can see how the whole color scheme is working. Then you can make your color adjustments. As for tree's I would think your subjects would be on the plains and probably aren't to many tree's--bushes maybe. I love the hot color of the grasses your portraying think you just need some dark into your grasses--also you need to indicate that your Zebra's legs don't stop at the top of the grass--you would have some leg color showing thru the grass. Which you probably plan too and just haven't got to that part yet.
Hope I helped a little don't mean to speech we each have our own way of approaching a painting. So you just have to find what works best for you.:)
Best,
Kathy:)

Dyin
08-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Kathy...have given this one up...sometimes it's just not worth fighting it...more work than fun...but I'll try to keep all this in mind for the next one, hope your painting is going well...

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Uh..unh - do giving up here my girl. Start over, fix what you have, but never give up the good fight. Or, are you working on something you enjoy doing - like a portrait. :evil: :D :angel:

Madder
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Aargh no don't give up! :-)

I don't know a lot about composition, but the painting does not jar for me. Mo may well have a point, I can't judge that, but I wonder whether it might not look quite oK once you've finished the Lio.. cheet.. pum.. jagu.. BIG CAT. It will certainly pull the viewers eye.
If you really can't stomach it any more, consider cutting the paper in two and keeping the zebra in the grass with the trees.
I thought ijust that detail looked stunning!!!

MKathleen
08-22-2003, 05:40 PM
...have given this one up...sometimes it's just not worth fighting it...more work than fun...
Hey Sue:
:)OK understand, put it aside for a while you never know another day it might just all come together for you. The important thing is that you are in there trying to make it work. I know I've been there more times than I care to admit.
I give you so much credit for being creative and just diving right into this composition. You have chosen a difficult one because it has to read the way you invisioned it to happen. And may not read to other's the same way you intended.
I know we are suppose to have fun (comfort zone) when we paint--so why are we so unhappy when our painting doesn't work for us. Because we are striving to be good painter's and to do that we have to get out of our comfort zone. And by the way Sue you are an excellent painter!:clap:
Best,
Kathy:)

Dark_Shades
08-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dyin
Thanks, Kathy...have given this one up...sometimes it's just not worth fighting it...more work than fun...but I'll try to keep all this in mind for the next one, hope your painting is going well...

Oi ..... Ohhhhhh noooooo you dont........ this sounds like a Negative attitude to me :D ..... get back on that bike...... n pedal lol

..... come on..... you can do it..... you can do it

Dyin
08-22-2003, 06:22 PM
aw thanks...all of you...had a rare fit of pique...all gone bye bye...I always tell people when things are a fight your muse is trying to tell you something...and I'm thinking maybe I just need a little break....and then come back with a different approach...my trouble is I'm stubborn sometimes and don't stop to realize that somethings just won't budge no matter how hard you push...but I thank you all for your encouragement...tomorrow will be another, better day...