PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Wave

Marty C
08-21-2003, 04:57 AM
Hi All.
Another one of a breaking wave. Hope you aren't getting bored with these, I've done a few as I find waves fascinating, different shapes, colours, textures and always lots of movement. I'm trying to wean myself of them by doing more landscapes, which I find are a different challenge and lots of fun. This is 90 by 60 cm on gessoed MDF.
The background in reality is not as dark as this image.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2003/16809-Dirk_Hartog1.jpg

turri
08-21-2003, 05:04 AM
That wave is awesome. All that blue and white is such a dynamic painting. That background does look dark, but as you said, it is different in the reality. Great piece of work indeed.

artmidwife
08-21-2003, 10:18 AM
WOW! Makes you jump back to get out of the way of the water!! Great colors. Who told you to stop doing waves, and why? You are so good at it. I'd take a look at why someone told you to stop. (ha-ha jealous)

artmidwife:cool:

Mybubblewall
08-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Only thing that bothers me is how the spray is arranged in straight lines. Now, I don't know how it really looked, but that just stood out as strange to me.

kunoichi
08-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Wow! I would love to know what type of brushes you used...also, did you use black artistboard?

Spyderbabe
08-21-2003, 12:56 PM
There is something about waves that is mesmerizing and you have captured that intriguing tunnel effect. Good job!

fletch
08-21-2003, 03:16 PM
GREAT COLOR..!!! (Where's a SURFBOARD) :clap: :clap:

Marty C
08-22-2003, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Mybubblewall - yes, the spray is probably too streaky, I was being a bit experimental at that stage.

Kunoichi - I used several brushes. I use a 38mm flat brush to block in the larger areas such a background, wave wall and foam. I then move on to a 25mm flat to apply 2 to 4 layers, blending various blues and white, paying particular attention to brush strokes to imply the increasing verticality of the wave wall. This is a long bristle soft brush, allowing long fluid strokes. I also use an old, worn very stiff bristle 25mm brush to get texture for some areas. I let the layers dry before applying more paint. I use a 13mm and 9mm flat for finishing and fine work and I use a small sponge for spray, white-water and foam areas.
I have been using MDF board with a white gesso base for all my work to date as it is cheap and I have been able to do lots of pieces to improve my technique. I'm starting to feel I'm ready for stretched canvas, so that is my next challenge.

artistjan
08-22-2003, 01:41 PM
I love all your wave paintings, but especially the one you use for your tinyhead.

By the way, I think it is probably your fault that I had a dream about a house-sized wave about to break over me the other night! :D :p

Leslie Pz
08-22-2003, 08:59 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
08-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi Jan,
Sorry about that, I had no idea my paintings would have such a big effect on anyone! Please don't sue me for pyshological damage, I am a starving artist after all....

artistjan
08-23-2003, 09:05 AM
ha ha!!! You'd just better watch it, that's all.... ;)

Marty C
08-23-2003, 09:23 AM
A postscript to my last post Jan.
The tinyhead you like is the painting of G-land. This is only the second wave painting I ever did, and probably the eight or ninth painting I ever attempted. For some reason it just gelled and turned out wonderfully. It created itself really and inspired me to keep going, to keep painting and aspiring to put down in paint that which is beautiful, or moving, or touches us in that place deep inside which says you HAVE to portray that in some medium for others to appreciate also.
I had an exhibition earlier this year at a major international surfing contest in WA where I showed around 15 of my works (scary really for a first timer). I sold three much to my surprise. I hadn't really considered the possiblity of selling any. One person wanted to buy the G-Land painting but I just couldn't sell, I had an emotional link to it that I was reluctant to break. I guess I bring this up to say to others that if you are going to exhibit and sell, maybe you should only put up those works you really will part with and keep for yourself those which speak to you on a very different level. I look at that painting of G-land hanging in my house now and it says to me "I am your first steps, remember me in your journey through art"

artistjan
08-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Along with the adage "write what you know" should be "paint what you love". You are so good at these, Marty, and I love your little story too. You should be proud of what you do - you do it so well. Every artist has their forte in a particular subject and I bet it is love of that subject that gives them that strength.

Now I need to follow that advice myself and find out what my strength is. ;)

kunoichi
08-25-2003, 04:56 PM
I am sure that JMF and I would love it if you posted a larger image of the painting that you use as your tinyhead:D

Marty C
08-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Kunoichi,
I have already posted this wave in another thread called G-land. You should be able to find it easily enough, it was posted about 2 weeks ago.

kunoichi
08-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Marty- I will most certainly check out this post. Thanks for the forum name.