PDA

View Full Version : "Here comes the sun...

Tamana
08-20-2003, 09:58 PM
...little darlin'": Self Portrait

Collage: 15" x15" (Matted): Acrylics, L'Oreal Shock Proof French Tip White Nail Polish (old habits die hard), Great Glass Staining Medium, Liquid Lead, Glue, Wax, photograph on burnt corregated cardboard on wood.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/18021-Self_portrait_2.JPG

Details: "It's a New Day it's a New Dawn!!"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/18021-Self_Detail_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/18021-Self_Detail_4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/18021-Self_Detail_3.jpg

arourapope
08-20-2003, 10:05 PM
you're kinda purdy there, Tam Girl! :D
This one reminds me of mother-of-pearl. There's an awful lot going on here that I like.
It's been so long since I messed with fingernail polish or anything like that, though, that I have no idea what you're talking about! lol

Tamana
08-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Aurora...hehe. Thankies.

Fingernail polish was one of my original mediums. It's all I had. :D I can't seem to leave it behind. Why leave what works? ;)

Thank you ma'am.

sue ellen
08-20-2003, 10:17 PM
You give a whole new meaning to Alternative Materials ;)
There are a lot of layers to you and your work...its fascinating to see the construction. You seem to build up and tear away at the same time!
Beautiful

surreal
08-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Nice to see you, as you are here, beautifully masked!

Tamana
08-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Sue Ellen (aka dali girl): :D Thank ya ma'am!! I've always liked layers. You know, like those Advent Calenders where you can pull something back and something's under it!?! Love the limitless creative process. Thanks for your encouragement. :)
~

Nina: Why thank ya! We are all works of art aren't we?! :) Appreciate your time & attention. :D
~

Thanks always for sharing yourselves wit' me.

blkros
08-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Holy Crap! Nice one Tam!

SanDL
08-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Your work interests me in it's use of materials....the expression is so DIRECT. I mean...the artist has these thoughts and they must be given form directly and immediately without the intercedent of traditional art materials. You use what is there. And what is immediately available says something about who you are. There are connections to every aspect of being you. This immediacy and truthfulness is so very appealing and so ....correct....and quite daring. I tip my hat to you. You are one of the very few originals I have recently encountered.

AmyH
08-21-2003, 12:04 PM
this is the stuff I really like to see (touch; is that legal!?) in person...no justice on the puter.

amy

marc
08-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Is that you hiding in there Tamtam? :D

This is gonna sound weird, but on Letterman last night they were throwing down 80 gallons of varied paint from the top of the building onto the street and it looked way cool as it hit the ground in a fireworks explosion of colours. This piece has a similar feel to it.. they also threw down over ripe melons, that was fun too :D

brushstroked
08-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Your colors just wow me. It's as if you've discovered a whole nuther spectrum. That aqua to blue to lavender in the upper right corner fascinates me....my eyes continuously trail back to it.

You aren't using actual photographs, are you? I hope they're copies. At any rate, it's another beautiful creation.

Thanks for sharing all the colors of Tamana. :)

Tamana
08-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Keith: Holy Crap!!! Thanks for that reaction!!! Waiting on your next one. :)
~

SanDL: I am humbled by your response. I feel like Loretta Lynn on that movie (yes I know, I am ALWAYS using movies but I don't know what ELSE to use to convey how I fee into pictures that can be easily seen and understood), "Coal Miner's Daughter" where they wanted to play her songs on the radio, or play at the Grand Ole' Oprey (or something I can't remember...), and she kept saying: "But I haven't paid my dues yet!! But I haven't paid my dues yet!!"

That a person of your caliber and talent woudl see so much into me and what I am doing is so encouraging and means so much, that there aren't any further words except thank you.
~

Amy: I can't tell you how good it is to see you back around. I fell in love with your art when I first came to WC and looked forward to each post. They were always amazing in the aspect of washed colors, unique applications, incredible balance and childlike playfulness captured and portrayed by an adult.

They always took you back and triggered a memory of something.

I hope that your "trepidation" will pass soon. I really love your art. And, you can touch mine anytime you want. I LOVE to see people with it: turning it, touching it, smelling it etc. THAT is what brings me joy.
~

Marc: Yeps!!! I'm in there somewhere! Can't you see me? I'm the bright yellow! :D Sounds like a great episode of Letterman!! Might be fun to try off the balcony of my neighbor! :evil:

Thanks for stopping by again, Marc!! Look forward to the upcoming exchange!! It's going to be fun. :)
~

Laura: Always wonderful to see you and read your take. I wanted to push the colors to a depth I hadn't really used yet. Same with some blending. Just having fun!!!

LOL, yeah, they're real photos. :) No biggie. I have a few more, figured one less wouldn't hurt. ;)
~

Thanks all for your continued support and encouragement!!! Imma be late!! Imma be late!!! Class in ten!!!!

Much love...

christinabella
08-22-2003, 03:31 AM
Tamana--I love the way you work! I just cleaned out my studio a few days before I found this site, and donated a box full of art STUFF to a local charity, but I wish I would have sent it all to you to see what you might have made with it.

:D :clap: :clap:

diane555
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Tamana

This is just wonderful....rich and luscious.

Di

paintergirl
08-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Deep, layered, hidden pictures within pictures... These frenzied colors are hypnotic...I would frame one of these in a floating frame and hang it somewhere where I could sit back and ponder, there is always something new to take in ...your work just grabs my attention...awesome Tam!!! :D

Tamana
08-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Christinabella: Awwww how sweet of you to say that. You know what, though? I am happy right now. Yes, I look 'forward' to purchasing canvas or masonite or oils or encaustics or any various other supplies...but THIS experience has given me something I don't think I would've received with 'traditional' supplies, you know?

Thank you again for thinking of me. You've got a lovely heart. :)
~

diane: Glad you liked it. :) I appreciate your feedback.
~

Julia: Thank ya ma'am. Been perusing that site -- mahhhhvelous dahhlink!! Drooling for pics of your latest and CONGRATULATIONS on your BIG SALE!!!! :D Your admiration is appreciated :D.
~

Thanks again all!! Love riding this wave with you. :)

somerset
08-22-2003, 04:26 PM
no words

Mary Riggs
08-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Tam, just want you to know what a sweet and loving soul I think you are. You have an inborn talent to express yourself with art as well as with lovely words.

BTW, you have me looking at colored eye shadows and nail polish in a whole new light at the drug store! ( I use only brown eye shadow and don't wear nail polish.) Broke down today and bought some sage green eye shadow to use as a burnishing element on a piece I am developing in my mind.

This piece is very dramatic with those marvelous colors that only you seem to achieve. BEAUTIFUL ! I agree with all the others who have given their impressions.

It appears from your picture, you are as lovely on the outside as you are on the inside. I really believe you have found your niche!

HAPPY TRAILS

Lynxes123
08-23-2003, 01:19 AM
WOW Tamana, what an AMAZING work of art!! I think you are a true artiste! It looks like you discovered a new dimension, it's so striking looking and unique!
I remember that song "Little Darlin', Here Comes the Sun" and now it's playing in my mind, but darn I can't remember the recording artist who did it? Was it the Beatles?
Lynxes123 :clap: :clap:

Tamana
08-23-2003, 01:54 AM
Michael: Sometimes there just aren't any, are there? :D Keep an eye on the WIP - you're going to recognize a few things very soon. :) Thanks for your encouraging support.
~

Mary: What a lovely thing to say and so heartfelt. Looks like someone else has a gift with words. I can't wait to see what you do with makeup!!!!! Hey nail polish is a WONDERFUL medium and will last forever!!! Eyeshadow or rough (or lipstick) is beautiful with flecks of light - you can retain the glistening effect with a thin layer of hairspray, meaning spray the hair spray then apply the medium quickly. The powerder sets in the hairspray - thus retaining the glisten but yet adhered.

Hurry hurry. :)
~

Lynxes: Glad to see you back around!! Wondered about you! :) Thanks for the wonderful words... I am definitely on a wave and glad you're surfing it with me. Yes the Beatles sang it. :) It's a new day it's a new dawn is by Nina Simone. :)

Thank you for for your encouragement!
~

Much love to you all...

Lynxes123
08-23-2003, 02:14 AM
AWWWW, Thanks Tam, yep, I'm still around. I've been going thru the depressing chore of job hunting and now I got one and start Mon. morn. Yea! I am hoping to get a scanner soon so I can post some more pics in here. I went to see my Mom in Kentucky this summer and brought back some old huge canvases I did in college. I realized they are unfinished and I've been working on them. It is so neat to work on canvases I stretched and started painting on 20 years ago! I'll share pics of them when I can finish them and get another scanner. :cat: :cat:
Lynxes123

Tamana
08-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Lynxes - That's WONDERFUL!!! Can't wait to see the old transform into the new!!! I'll be watching for your posts and praying for a scanner for you!!! :D :clap: :clap:

Dahzl
08-27-2003, 01:01 AM
Oi there!! :D Sister Sunshine ! :D I can see it ! I can see it !
like looking into a mirror - Hmmm ...calculating calculating - now where was my father..........:D

Beautiful Tam - the very essence of you . :clap: :clap:

Love from your twin :D xxx

Tamana
08-27-2003, 07:17 PM
I was calculating the location of mother......;) :D

Thanks BeDahhhhzzzzzled. :)