PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo pink

PinkRaven
08-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I moved a big pile of paperwork off of my scanner! To celebrate I grabbed a print out of the pile to scan and share. If I keep cleaning, I'll keep finding more to scan. LOL! I'm way-way behind on scanning things so in my usual way, I have avoided even starting. Maybe sharing here will give me incentive to get more done. One at a time... little bitty baby steps... *sigh*

:p

Rave... the chronically disorganized

Polymer block print on black paper. Thermo embossed, bleached and tinted with dye watercolor.

sassybird
08-26-2003, 01:47 PM
This is gorgeous. I love flamingos and collect them when I find those I like. How much would you charge for a print of this, or would you be willing to do a trade? A trade is better for me as cash is scarce these days.

DuhVinci
08-27-2003, 01:06 AM
I continue to be amazed at the variety of materials and methods that have been used in print making. Could you give some more detail on how you produced this lovely piece? Did you pour (or print?) a bleach solution onto the paper before printing the flamingo? What is "thermo embossed"?

PinkRaven
08-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Charissa, I'd be delighted to trade! I'm just tickled pink to find a fellow flamingo lover! LOL! The prints I have left are "seconds"... basically just a bit off center if that's okay with you, so will need matting. I'll send you a message later and get your address...

Rave

PinkRaven
08-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks, DuhVinci! Of course I'll be delighted to talk more about my methods... LOL!

Back in the wee years of the seventies I was active in the old DADA inspired mail-art network... in a kind of round about way from there I discovered the art rubber stamp industry and after a while started to work as a designer illustrating for art rubber. Man oh man what toys and methods I found there that I hadn't been introduced to with traditional fine art block printing!!! I still meet plenty of artists who feel art is art and rubberstamps are craft and ne'er the twain shall meet, but the happy marriage of that industry with my experimental prints has been a fruitful union. That's where I found embossing powders....

Thermal embossing is the same method as used in engraved invitations and the like. I printed the block on black card weight stock using pigment ink that has a glycerin base... it remains sticky for a few minutes until it's absorbed into the paper. Then embossing powder... a finely ground plastic resin... is sprinkled over the ink, the excess dumped off and then a blast with a heat gun to melt it. That leaves a slightly raised line that is moisture proof so the inks don't run. Next, I spray water over the paper.... getting it wettest over the image and just splatters outside the image to carry the bleach... which is then dabbed on the image with a natural bristle brush. The bleach follows the water droplets and tipping it back and forth swirls the bleach. When the effect looks good to me I quickly rinse it under cold running water and then drop the paper into a pan of vinegar to neutralize the chlorine. The image is then tinted with transparent liquid water colors.

Of course every print comes out different... so maybe these should be called block/mono prints? I dunno... but the fun and adventure of each one coming out unique is rather addictive ;)

Rave

DuhVinci
08-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks Rave, The process you describe is very interesting. I'll add it to my list of things to try when I get out of the thinking/imagining phase and into the doing phase. But it sure gives me more to think about in the meantime.

talkingbanana
09-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Love it. :D

msue
09-04-2003, 11:38 PM
This is a very interesting sounding process, but with all the concern these days over things being "acid free" do you have a concern over the paper being so acidic from the vinegar and cholrine?

sassybird
09-05-2003, 12:24 AM
I have used vinegar and clorox on satin, and it works fine. I don't think it would be a problem for the paper especially if you soak the paper afterwards. That would leech out a lot of that and still leave the effects.

BTW, I just got my print of this today in the mail, and it is beautiful. The photo doesn't do it justice:)

PinkRaven
09-05-2003, 05:47 AM
I know I probably *should* be more concerned... At the moment though, for most of my artwork, I'm much more into the process and effects of experimenting with media. So maybe my work will degrade and crumble in 40 years... maybe it has a lifespan and a soul just like me and wasn't meant to survive into antiquity... the world will be none the poorer for it as new works of art will be born to replace it! LOL!

Seriously though, if I were marketing and selling such experimental prints at prices in the hundreds of dollars, I guess I would feel that I owed the buyers a product that would be archival and timeless.... which is why I don't... I don't feel inclined to create a "marketable product" at this point and I don't want to even think about feeling a debt of obligation to a buyer's heirs.
:-)

When I get all famous and everything, I'll re-think that position. LOL!

Rave

lisilk
10-03-2003, 04:12 AM
This is beautiful ! Interesting process that mostly sounded Greek to me but love the result.

I have a friend who makes rubber stamps for a living. I wouldn't call it craft either !

Cheers,

Li

pinkbubelz
10-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Beautiful work! :-)

and as you can guess by my screen name, I love the color pink!

--IRis

pinkbubelz
10-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Is there something you can use to neutralize the acid in the vinegar after you soak it?

Jonna33
10-26-2003, 03:57 PM
PinkRaven, you have inspired me to pull open my drawer with my rubber stamping stuff that I turn to for fun. I had forgotten that wonderful embossing powder! I didnt have black on hand so I got distracted going from website to website looking at stamping, collage, etc. and ended up making this Day of the Dead altar for my mom and dad. It was a day of total fun.

I antiqued the altoid tin, put an inkjet print of my mom in a slide holder, one of my dad in a bottle cap and used the embossing powder on the backing sheet (gold was what I had). I just used junk laying around in my studio.

Thanks for the inspiration. I never know when I start of what I am going to end up with.

I still intend to do the bleach and black embossing powder print. If I can stay focused!:D

Alan Cross
10-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Nice work...
Alan :)

printzessofthenorth
01-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Is there something you can use to neutralize the acid in the vinegar after you soak it?

pinkbubelz:
I recently (no more than 1 yr ago) ran across a product at a scrap booking store that claimed it would make virtually everything you sprayed it on "acid free". The reasoning was: "Even if you use archival materials, you get acid on your stuff from your hands when you handle it. So viola! We (the company) have the solution! "Don't remember the product name however. But at least a year ago there was a product like this in the stores. Maybe this gives you a place to start your search?

msue
01-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Beleive Dick Blick has been carrying a product for a while known a Archival Mist and now Krylon has a product called Perserve It. Both sprays that are suppose to make your papers and scrapbooks acid free.

tadpole
01-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Great Flamingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are artists in rubber stamping. In the past; I sold my products at rubber shows and also sold tons of embossing powder and ultra fine glitter.

pennlym
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I moved a big pile of paperwork off of my scanner! To celebrate I grabbed a print out of the pile to scan and share. If I keep cleaning, I'll keep finding more to scan. LOL! I'm way-way behind on scanning things so in my usual way, I have avoided even starting. Maybe sharing here will give me incentive to get more done. One at a time... little bitty baby steps... *sigh*

:p

Rave... the chronically disorganized

Polymer block print on black paper. Thermo embossed, bleached and tinted with dye watercolor.

I absolutly love your flamingo the colour is great what a great insentive to everyone to try this prosses. I do quite a bit of blind embossing which I realy like, but this is something else! :clap: :clap: :clap: