PDA

View Full Version : cottage garden WIP

artistjan
08-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I like how this is going but I feel it needs something more. It really lacks a focal point and I would like to put something on the lawn but do not know what to do.

In real life it is much brighter than appears here - I wish my digi didn't make it look so dull when resized. :(

I would be glad of any comments and suggestions you might all have.

Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/15037-fruit_011.jpg

turri
08-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I do not know, maybe you could add some flowers or toys to the lawn? Or even a person sitting on a lawn. I am not very good to suggest anything, but maybe this gives an idea or two?

talkingbanana
08-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Focal point? How about a pink flamingo? :p

Seriously though, before you tackle the focal point, take a look at your shadows. Something's wonky - they make me believe the light's coming from several different directions and shadows are being casted all over the place. See? (Hope you don't mind...)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/16668-15037-fruit_011.jpeg

The shadow behind the house makes me believe the light's coming in from the right (see the yellow). The flower shadows make me thing the light's coming in like the pink arrow, and the shadow that the fence casts makes me think the lights coming in directly at the gate.

So, to me, it looks like one light's being shined on the house, another at the gate, and another at the flowers.

Something to think about, I guess. Let me know if I'm way off the mark. :angel:

Bendaini
08-20-2003, 04:53 PM
If you have a photo editing program you might try adjusting the contrast to get it to look less dingy. I have the same trouble with my camara and scanner. If it isn't bleaching out the light colors it's giving it a grey tinge, yuck.

As for the lawn... Maybe some shading, or a bit of texture. If you really want to stick something on it you might try the flowers like turri suggested. Maybe think of who would live in a house like that, and what they might have left on the lawn... a basket of cut flowers? A bag with vegtables flowing out of it...

And I also agree with talkingbanana, i think if you get rid of the shadow on the leftof the house you;ll fix it up. I don't think the flower shadows are much of a problom at all.

shirleyq
08-20-2003, 06:17 PM
I don't think you should add anything to the lawn. Why? Because, disregarding the shadows, my eye goes up the path to your focal point............the front door.........over to the blue and green in the window.......................on to the green shrubbery and around the garden admiring the flowers..........ooops, up the path again.:)
You have done a fine job integrating the colors throughout.
Fix the shadows and you will have a winner.:D

artistjan
08-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks all! It's always the shadows with me isn't it! This time, though I thought I ahd nailed it.

Let me explain. The light is coming from the front and slightly to our right - hence the shadow of the gate and the flowers. The shadow to the left of the house was supposed to be the shadow OF the house itself on the grass and the garden wall. However if it doesn't read that way to the audience then I will have to rethink it.

The shadow I had doubts with was the one in the doorway which I felt really ought to have been a ray of sunshine going into the house rather than a shadow.

I will look at it some more - thank you.

Oh and in case I don't get back to this (and I will if I can): our computer just gave us the "blue screen of death" and we cannot boot MS Windows at all - I am working on hubby's laptop right now and that will not be available to me usually. Hope we'll be back to normal soon :)

mkillough
08-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Such a cozy place; warm and inviting. I agree you don't really need to add anything, but I have to give a suggestion because I thought of it...
one of those old fashioned, red push blade lawnmowers.

artistjan
08-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks for that suggestion. The more I look at it the more I think that if I add anything at all it will be something small. That green patch of lawn is really all there would be.

I am going to sort out the shadows and perhaps lighten the front of the fence a little and call it done.

Thanks for commenting - I like that lawnmower idea - if I can do it! (That would need a shadow too, right!) ;)

Oh and the good news is that my computer is restored to its former glory :D