PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of my little cousin

Cristie
09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi Everyone

I have just about finished a portrait of my cousin. I used graphite and conte pastel (white and sanguine). It is my first attempt at using pastel, I found it quite tricky.

Would be grateful for any critiques.:smug:

Thanks

Trumper
09-26-2012, 04:07 PM
:) it's a lovely drawing but something to do with the size of the head just makes it look too long and bulbous to me.
From the forehead to the top of the head.
Sorry i can't be more descriptive but it was my first impressions.

rossmarie
09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi Cristie.

This is jolly well drawn...and who am I to criticise?

But just one observation. Something bugged me about the face and I wasn't sure what. However, viewing it carefully, I have come to the conclusion it is the nose. I think what's wrong is slightly too much shadow under the nose and slightly too emphasised bulbous end to the nose (right side of nose as you look at your drawing). The nose looks slightly unbalanced compared with his photo.

Had you not appended the photo, nobody would have known!

I think you have great skill. I have tried to draw faces and failed miserably.

Very well done

Cheers

Mike:clap:

La_
09-27-2012, 01:44 PM
pretty adorable
i would soften the facial shadows tho, they seem a tad harsh for a baby, aging her more than necessary - neck shadows too.
viewers right eye - seems a teeny bit lazy, i would give just a bit more iris showing on the top
babies do have freakishly large heads, don't they!

la

Joshua_Miller
09-27-2012, 02:30 PM
The head does look a little big

Wassie
09-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with all of the above. The portrait looks like an older person to me. I think softening the shadows on the face and softening the eyebrows would help. The head looks a little too high from the forehead to the top. But I may not have noticed this without the ref.

Wassie
09-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with all of the above. The portrait looks like an older person to me. I think softening the shadows on the face and softening the eyebrows would help. The head looks a little too high from the forehead to the top. But I may not have noticed this without the ref.

Cristie
09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks Everyone. I agree with you all as well. I will make some changes.

Debzy
09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Very well done so far Cristie! I do agree with the above critiques, and I also think the chin is a fraction too deep from the bottom lip to the end of the chin. In the reference it is more of a gentle curve outlining the chin, not such a deep definite chin. Softer shadows around the nose and mouth too and you will have a closer likeness I believe. I would bring the hairline on the forehead down a little lower and lose a fraction off the top off the head and you will almost be there!!! Lovely job so far Cristie! Cheers =)) Debs. p.s. Welcome to WC!!!