PDA

View Full Version : Daily (Birthday!!) Scumble 20 August

E-J
08-20-2003, 04:03 AM
Since nobody else has started today's Scumble yet, I figured I'd go for it. Happy birthday to me!!! :D

I haven't been around much lately as life seems to have taken a turn for the hectic, I've hardly done any pastelling and yes, I do miss it and I miss all of you. I logged on yesterday for the first time in days and since seeing Mo's stunning oil pastel of Johnny Depp and Kat's vibrant landscapes in the sketch thread, I feel a renewed inspiration to get past this silly creative lull and just get on and paint. It will have to wait till tomorrow, tho ... this evening I'm going out for a birthday meal with husband and six friends. The restaurant is French/South African. Intriguing!

With my birthday money I've bought some Sennelier pastel card, a large pad of Ingres and some colourful sheets of Tints paper, a set of 24 Conté sticks (very portable for sketching) and the book Capturing Radiant Color In Oils, which is about seeing and painting colour in the way that Monet did. Husband has bought me a digital camera: 3.2 megapixels, large enough to make good quality A4 prints from my pastels :) Unfortunately as it's a really popular camera, it's out of stock everywhere and I'm going to have to wait another week for it to arrive!

Have a good day, everyone :)

Dark_Shades
08-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Ohhhhhh

:music: Happy Birthday to Youuuuu, .... Happy Birthday to Youuu...... Happy Birthday Dear Ejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj...... Happy Birthday to Youuuuuuu :music: :clap:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <<< Candles :D

Madder
08-20-2003, 04:33 AM
Happy birthday E-J. I'd been wondering where you were...

Lovely presents! So come on, back to work, we want to see your pastels! :)
Madder

My work deadline is today so tomorrow is play day!!!!! yippee!!!

soap
08-20-2003, 05:15 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Have a good time tonight and with all those goodies you got for your birthday money!! ooh....wish it was my birhtday.....LOL...

Am off to do bits and bobs today....loads of housework as well......when do you guys do the ironing? Can't I just make that dissappear? :D

:music: I am almost going on holiday.....la la....tra la....nearly there...:music:

Smudger
08-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Happy Birthday E-J!!!!! :clap: :clap:

E-J
08-20-2003, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys :) Sophie ... ironing? :confused: That must be a Dutch term ... I'm unfamiliar with it ;)

Madder
08-20-2003, 07:29 AM
THis is an age-old custom, (you need to wear clogs while doing it) not seen in my household LOL

p.s. I almost said you need to wear a Dutch cap but I think that's something else altogether!!):D

Greeble
08-20-2003, 07:29 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

:clap:

Jen

soap
08-20-2003, 07:32 AM
LOL! OK, so I am old fashioned....sticking to Dutch traditions etc etc.....bleh.......grumble....can I go on holiday now?

meowmeow
08-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Happy BIrthday E-J! It sounds like you used your birthday money very wisely...and what a nice present! Have a super day!
I am going to work on my two WIPs....one with fur and one with grass and see how much toruble I can get into this morning. Then I get to go to the local historic society/museum to help them sort through their antique textile collection. I am looking forward to that!
You all have a great day!

Sandy

doe
08-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Happy Birthday EJ! Great gifts! What camera is it you'll be getting?

Sophie go on holiday, the ironing will wait and if you need to bring anything with you it will get wrinkled anyway!

Sounds like an interesting day for you Sandy.

Have a great day everyone!

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
HI E-J!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Great way to celebrate with a new camera and pastels!!

It is hard getting out of a slump - didn't think I'd ever go through it but did. Instead of fighting it (which I did at first), I just let it go its course and did other things and not let it bother me after a bit.

Thanks for the mention of my landscapes - it's so nice to know somebody is looking!! It gave me a real warm and fuzzy feeling. :D

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Dyin
08-20-2003, 11:51 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, E_J!!!!

And you've been reminding us too....glad you get to have some new toys and a nice dinner....yeah, the slump will go away....try something different than your norm...maybe your muse is trying to tell you something...we've missed you!!

Hey...you Dutch have some TERRIBLE customs....then again, maybe the cap one is more interesting????:D :evil: :D

Today was mow the lawn, water the lawn, do laundry etc day...it's not even 10 am and I'm shot...so think I will not risk painting today..I ALWAYS mess up when I'm tired....

bnoonan
08-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Sophie - does this mean I have to take up this "ironing" custom if I visit Holland??? Yikes - I'd rather wear wooden shoes!!

The way I do my ironing is... Whenever I have the need, I lay down and take a rest until the urge to do it goes away. works every time!!! GOT WRINKLES???

Happy Birthday EJ - I won't sing like Dawn but I could if you wanted to hear it. It can make your hair curl. You wanted a perm for your birthday didn't you?

I'm rolling in a batch of new Rembrandt pastels in honor of EJ's birthday - and our friend Dyin who's cooked up a deal with me. I love the fact that she's out mowing the lawn and I'm inside painting today!!!!

Yeah!!!

Off to work on that commission piece. Cheers!

Barb

vrashton
08-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday.
I don't know many here but I figure I will get to know you all fairly soon. (I've only been posting a short time) I spent today hanging my first solo show, so I'm very excited. It's in a local dinner theatre, 17 paintings.

Iron? I thought we weren't allowed to use words like that in these postings, foul language.

Val

bnoonan
08-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Val - you picked up the spirit of this group immediately. I do believe that is a four letter word!!!

Tell us more about your show - any photos? Wow - what an exciting adventure.

Barb

vrashton
08-20-2003, 04:26 PM
No photo's yet. Our new digital camera is not working. Hopefully I'll have some soon. The show runs right through to December so I should be able to get some pictures.
Val

angeline
08-20-2003, 04:37 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just recovering from my nights........and *gulp* been playing with pencils(in the drawing forum) if you want to take a peek.
I will pick up some pastels soon!
Hope you all had a good day.

Madder
08-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Closing the scrumble probably, so nobody might see this, but had to tell:
remember this Dutch pastel painter I found on the internet and I asked if he gives classes? Well, he told me he doesn't teach at the moment but he's willing to meet to view and discuss my "work" (ahem) and critique them and point me in right direction etc. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.
Will keep you posted and tell you guys what I'm learning once I meet.
Sleep tight everyone! (East of GMT :)

Sorry about the ironing joke Sophie! You're not oldfashioned, you're artistic and also look good and wrinklefree :)

bnoonan
08-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Madder - congratulations!!! Let us know how the meeting goes - it will be fun to hear how he critiques.

Excellent contact for you I'm sure - his work is really nice.

Barb

Dyin
08-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey, Val...congrats on the show! Our Mo has one this weekend too....oooh, you guys rub me for luck...course I don't have 17 or 20 to show...it'd have to be a very small gallery lol!
Hmmm, Barb....tickled are we???? :mad: :p I think maybe you've been playing instead of working...hmmm???:evil: :D Now quit goofing off and get back to work!!!!:D :D :D
Ooooh....that's so cool Madder!!! Keep us posted!!!

Mo.
08-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Ooops... E-J..... Happy Belated birthday greetings... I bet you are smashed right out of you mind now.... :D:D.... hope you had a great day of celebrating....

I'm keeping this short, as I'm so knacked...good to see you here Val and good luck with your show... luck you to have it run for so long.:) Yeah post some pics soon.
Sophie... I have two baskets brimming with un-ironed clothes...and that's how they will stay for while too....clogs or no.:D...enjoy your hols girl:)

As for me... I've had my hair done... so not looking quite so scruffy and bohemian.... I have about 20 pieces of work for my exhibition... have seen them all framed.. and they look fab! couldn't believe it was my work :D:D.........setting up starts tomorrow.... have a photo shoot on Friday at 3.p.m. with the local press... the framer has had enquiries about my paintings as they were displayed for a short while in his shop...good sign I hope... Oooh it's so exciting and nerve wracking.... my daughter is still putting finishing touches to her masks.... have done all my titles and blurb for each painting.... have described a lot of them in Rhyme. :D.. ....just a couple of lines... so folks if I'm not around you know why.... will keep in touch as much as I can.

Mo.:)

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Mo: You may not see this, but here goes -

I can read the excitement in your posting, you sound so organized and ready to go. I am sure all of us will be thinking of you the weekend!!

Keep us posted if you can - :D

Dyin
08-20-2003, 08:15 PM
GOOD LUCK MO!!!!!!

don't we get a pic of the lovely you????;)

melaleuca
08-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Belated birthday wishes E-J :clap: :clap:
Hope you had a great day.

angecald
08-21-2003, 01:14 AM
A belated Happy Birthday to EJ, and best of luck with the show, Mo! Send us a picture of yourself with your new hairdo.

nougat
08-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Happy belated Birthday E-J!!

nadine