PDA

View Full Version : Game Boards

Bendaini
08-19-2003, 11:07 PM
To stretch my creativity I've been creating some game boards.

This is my Roseta Board. I am not quite sure how you would play on it, but I love the design, and the colors.

I've also made a few childrens games, and am working on "Fantasy Quest", a board game that lets you rack up treasure, and the person with the most wins.

I've even taken some ancient games like 9 Men Morris and Senet and created new boards for them.

Have any of you tried creating an original game board/game?

(btw, if you'd like to see some more of my boards their over on my website)

Stoy Jones
08-20-2003, 01:56 AM
Funny you should post something like this. My son and I enjoy chess and love to play asian chess variants such as Xiangqi and Shogi. I have been looking to purchase sets and not prepared to pay 200 dollars for a board, I set myself to making my own board and pieces.

The pieces I posted are a few Shogi pieces. They are made of cardboard and I drew the Japanese script (poorly I might add and with apologies to anyone who knows how to write in Japanese). The board I'm still working on is a 9x9 square "chess" board and it will be done on art paper and mounted on something strong like cardboard or foamboard.

This is quite a different approach to being creative and will teach a good amount of patience. It is worth it when you are through with the building process and can enjoy it.

Stoy Jones

Bendaini
08-20-2003, 03:05 AM
Since I design most of mine on PC I;ve been thinking I will print them out on card stock and then laminate them. Laminating isn't very expencive in most places.

Then it will be safe from water, and should roll up easily.

I haven't quite figured out game pieces yet. For one I'd like to have little puppies (it's a kids game called Dog Pound) and for another I'd like to ahve some fantasy creatures.

A friend mentioned using folded paper with little plastic stands. Could work. Could also make them from shrink plastic...

O'Connor
08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
When my kids were little I made quite a few "Marble Mazes". This is done by using a router and cutting grooves in a board deep enough to hold a marble. Then you make the cuts like a maze, leading from start to finish with a few dead ends and traps.
You start with a marble at Start, and have to tip the board while holding its edges, to guide the marble to the finish.
I also made up an entire game and gameboard based on buying and selling stocks and taking other gains and losses in the stocks and commodities markets while progressing around a board similar to Monopoly's board.

Bendaini
08-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Wow, O'Conner, that sounds complex. But I bet there are some people on walstreet who would enjoy it :)

Heck, I know a lot of people who play Blog-stocks online, and neopets has a stock market... It's really quite interesting how many people enjoy that. It's also educational...

I have a marble maze, their kinda fun. The one I have is really hard though.

Bendaini
12-17-2003, 09:03 AM
I thought I would mention that this project (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=596) got put up, and it has to do with games.