PDA

View Full Version : alien skull

mmk
08-19-2003, 08:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2003/7273-alien_skull.jpg

sorry about the rough image quality, and the roughness of the piece, but that's the way i did this one, quick and rough. not too much effort, you're supposed to just glance at this and get the message, like i could flash this at you for 2 seconds and you'd get the jist of it.

blkros
08-19-2003, 08:49 PM
A laughing alien skull. I love those pinks (which probably aren't, but that's how they look on my monitor.)

mmk
08-19-2003, 08:51 PM
yea it's pink!
spookhouse colors

(btw, this one looks different the farther you get from the screen)

inkskin
08-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Very cool:cool:

mmk
08-19-2003, 11:06 PM
blkros, inkskin, thanks

Dahzl
08-20-2003, 05:00 AM
Great mmk ! I see a rabbit or a sphinx as well ! :D Or perhaps I should say a sphinx within a rabbit-like character.

Cheers Dahzl :D

Tamana
08-20-2003, 10:04 AM
"spookhouse"!! That's exactly what I thought of when I first saw this!! You know those creepy mirrors?!! This reminds me of them!!! :D Well done.

erik_satie_rolls
08-20-2003, 10:30 AM
It has a landscape quality to me, but what I really like is the way it breaks up into three sections, handled slightly differently, yet still hangs together. It shows a lot of sensitivity to form. Nice.

Dan

mmk
08-20-2003, 02:08 PM
cool, thanks guys

the spookhouse in the city i live is all lit with blacklight; day-glo paint is on everything, that's partly where the color choices come from. warping mirrors, illusions, phantasms
my other influences in this piece are hip-hop graffiti, graphic design, and psychedelia.

axxxel
08-20-2003, 03:48 PM
this one too ...

Like your work... feeling a lot of inspiration from it

Share more!

AmyH
08-21-2003, 01:11 PM
what I like about your stuff; aside from, color, shape etc. is that it has the appearance of non-objective, while begging for the object. My analysis doesn't fit your intent, but who cares :D its all just gobbldy gook (the words) anyhow (and I do love gobbldy gook).

I tend to linger over it. it is a great way to empty my mind of my own preconceptions (as much as possible) and enter a completely different arena. I like the place. I have mentioned before, this is the type of work I usually glaze over. you put something there that keeps me looking. don't know what (maybe thats it), but it doesnt matter. In my minds eye I see it large and matte, and free of judgments about the viewer. right or wrong on my part (as if right and wrong exist) its cool.

mmk
08-21-2003, 05:18 PM
wow thx axxxel and amy. i'm glad my picture has a non-wimpy effect.

amy: i can stare at it for long time too, and it works (i like looking indirectly, slightly out of the corner of the eye, that way i get even more of the sensation of the whole picture as a single thing), but i think it's versatile in that its essence could be absorbed briefly also. i really want to paint this one huge, now you've inspired me to do so!