PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop exercise

digistyle
06-19-2001, 04:50 PM
I've noticed that some digital artists who work almost exclusively in P'shop have this style where they build an image with very visible brustrokes. I decided to try it at lunch today. This is more of exercise than a painting. I was just trying to get the feel of things. I worked much looser than usual (and without my trusty tablet!). Worked without underlying pencils, just concentrated on building the form. Didn't use my usual subject matter, this is my first animal in quite a while. It took about twenty minutes to complete. Let me know what ya think!

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2001/hyena.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T-Rex
06-19-2001, 09:50 PM
Although I'm not familiar w/ the software to know precisely what you're talking about I can tell that his face comes right out at you when you look at it. Only 20 minutes? Bravo!:clap: (He's cool)

nnelson1
06-19-2001, 09:52 PM
This looks like a LOT of fun!

I haven't tried to do this since I first played with PS at work. No tablet, no idea of what I was doing, just playing. But you made this look neat!

Interesting technique. Like I've been talking about here and there; using the strengths of the digital processes and not trying to duplicate "real world" tools. Do you think all us digi-heads are airbrush artists who hate picking out paint boogers from their noses?! :D

Shehaub
06-20-2001, 03:17 AM
I like this. I like this idea. This might be a very nice change from the tight stuff I have been doing lately. I am going to have to try it!

digistyle
06-20-2001, 04:58 PM
Thanks, all! This was fun. I plan on doing some more of these over the summer.

digistyle

MissMouse
06-20-2001, 05:50 PM
Looks like he just had lunch. I like working with the tablet. It is fun and relaxing and if you mess up there is no waste. This might be the way to go for those pictures you really don't know what you are going to do with.

digistyle
06-27-2001, 10:32 PM
Continued my brushstroke experiment at lunch today. This took about 25 minutes. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the technique.

digistyle

Shehaub
06-28-2001, 03:13 PM
I don't know how I missed this one Digistyle..

I like that it really shows strokes and movement. I can't believe how fast you can do these and get so much effect from them. It allows no room for getting stuck on one small detail (I am so guilty of that.) Nice work.. very inspiring.

digistyle
07-01-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Shehaub! I'm hoping to put together a full painting in this techique soon, but I still have some issues to work out.

digistyle

swan
07-11-2001, 09:43 PM
I worked alot with photoshop and drawing, try using layers, I found that you could adjust the tones more easily, and reshape areas without worrying about making mistakes. I also used a digital pen for improved accuracy. The problem is printing the work. Good quality prints are expensive. Although photo paper on an inkjet is passable, there is a limit in terms of size, 8x11. Recently I have seen many places that will do short run artist's prints on large format printers, but this starts at approx 80 dollars for 24x18" print.

digistyle
07-20-2001, 05:02 PM
This took a little more than an hour and was done over 3 days during lunch, limiting myself to no more than 30 minutes per session. My goal was not to be fast (or accurate), but just to paint how/what I felt with a minimum of corrections. I enjoyed playing with color on this one, using whatever seemed "right" at the time. I did use a photo reference just to stay on track, but this looks nothing like it! LOL

swan: I know what you mean about using P'Shop's layers. My problem is that I sometimes get caught in the "trap." Since layers are so easy to edit, I spend too much time "fine tuning" this and that. I used layers on all of these pieces, but didn't allow my self time to try too many "what ifs." Also, by only using a mouse, I couldn't be as detail oriented as I am with my Wacom.

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2001/exper3.jpg