PDA

View Full Version : How i can sharpen Faber-Castell Pitt pastel pencils?

JPQ
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
How i can sharpen Faber-Castell Pitt pastel pencils? i earlier understanded i can use regular sharpener with these but not all pastel pencils.

*Deirdre*
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Most approx. 6 -7mm pencils can be sharpened using any manual or electric sharpener...it is the diameter that restricts...your pencils are approx 7 mm. The problem is with Conté which are 8mm

JPQ
09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Sometimes i understanded these pitts have special "coating" which reduces breaking.

smudged-blue
09-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I've recently started using these pencils myself. Every where I have looked has said to sharpen them with a razor blade.

I've tried my battery powered sharpener, metal hand held sharpener as well as many others in the hopes to avoid using a razor blade, but none of them work good enough (plus the tips kept breaking).

I found a website by colin bradley who has many lesson's etc available and has posted how to sharpen your pastel pencils on youtube. (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agEGPWwYA_M&list=UUAhkSQlE6qw1UutURYoEZnw&index=9&feature=plcp

This is now how I sharpen my pastel pencils as it gives me the best results (and so far no breakages), takes a bit of getting use to.

JPQ
09-26-2012, 12:41 AM
and you talk faber-castells add least video have them i think. and i understanded they are different. ps. now i must think what to do.

smudged-blue
09-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Yes I have the faber-castell pitt pastel pencils and they are the same pencils used in the youtube link I had added earlier.

These are the only pastel pencils I've tried, so not really sure about the sharpening of other pastel pencils.

JPQ
09-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Others need similar method even more becouse what i readed sometime ago i mean they can be sharpened with reqular sharpener but now i dont found where i readed it. and i cannot ask Faber-Castell becouse they never ansver me when i ask something.

Merethe T
09-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Sharpeners can be used, I have a Dahle 155 that work very well for all the brands I have (Pitts, Derwent, Conte, Carbothello). It will however wear out after a while, the blade becomes dull. I've never had any breakage though, and it is fast and easy so I replace it when it wears down. You should be able to find it in Finland, we have them here in Norway.

JPQ
09-26-2012, 03:57 AM
I found it and i have tiny fully metallic sharpeners made in germany at least coloured pencils work fine i maybe test it with them if works good. and in this dahle blade is changable ?

jackiesimmonds
09-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Use a craft knife. Carefully. to get a fine point, use a piece of fine sandpaper at the end.

Merethe T
09-26-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't think the blade can be replaced, at least not to my knowledge...

VanessaT
09-26-2012, 05:59 PM
I use a makeup sharpener. I find that the sharpeners used to sharpen eye liner pencils are perfect. They don't destroy the pencil and give it a lovely point

Faber-Castell USA
09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi! Faber-Castell USA here. Unlike other pencils on the market, Faber-Castell PITT Pastel Pencils are sharpened with a sharpening knife or a hand held sharpener. We never suggest using an electric sharpener for any of our pencils. The angle and the sharpness of the blade is a very important factor when sharpening pencils correctly so we recommend using a sharpening knife for best results. However a sharpener may be used.

*Deirdre*
09-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi! Faber-Castell USA here. Unlike other pencils on the market, Faber-Castell PITT Pastel Pencils are sharpened with a sharpening knife or a hand held sharpener. We never suggest using an electric sharpener for any of our pencils. The angle and the sharpness of the blade is a very important factor when sharpening pencils correctly so we recommend using a sharpening knife for best results. However a sharpener may be used.
An answer from the firm who makes them cannot be disputed! :D

Glad to have you around and welcome to the Pastel Forum!:)

JPQ
09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Is really nice see you (F-C) here, becouse never get ansvers form German Headquaters.

barriespapa
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I have tried 2 electric sharpeners 4 manual rotary sharpeners several hand held ones. the blade is the only one that works every time. I have one rotary that did a super job for about 40 pencils but it never work right after that.
David

tulabula
10-04-2012, 03:28 AM
I use Generals little red pencil sharpeners but they wear out pretty fast. I go through4-5 per painting

Risovashka
08-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Oh gosh, VinessaT, I love you. I've just tried it. It has been laying around unused. It works perfect for pastel pencils! I am thrilled. Thank you!

Marilyn Ann
08-23-2016, 06:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2016/1985962-IMG_2982_Sharpener_small.jpgI use a small belt sander to sharpen my pastel pencils. It produces a sharp point in seconds and you can get right back to your work with little interruption.

SAS Designs
08-25-2016, 05:17 PM
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/multipoint-professional-pencil-sharpener

I adore this pencil sharpener. Use it on all my pencils, including pastel.
On sale now.
suzy

JoshuaZ
08-25-2016, 05:19 PM
I have a Ranger 55 manual sharpener and it used to cause my pastel pencils to break off almost half the time I tried to sharpened them. I've started using a utility knife (or an x-acto blade) to manually shave off the wooden casing but instead of continuing and sharpening the actual pastel with the blade also, I find it much quicker and easier to then use the manual wall mount sharpener to sharpen the exposed pastel pencil (usually an inch and a half or so of exposed pastel).

Works great and doesn't break the pastel. So just try shaving off the wood casing before putting it in a sharpener