PDA

View Full Version : Info on Pastels needed

Pilan
08-19-2003, 03:04 AM
Hi all, I know this is a pastels forum so I thought I may get the answer I need. have always wanted to know about the oil pastels.

What is the difference in the oil sticks and the oil pastels?

thanks
Pilan

Redsy333
08-19-2003, 05:58 AM
I know there are others with better advice, but thought id lend ya a hand....

Oil sticks vs Oil pastels,
First thing I would do is type each word in the search engine of Wet canvas, from there you will find heaps of threads discussing each and there pros and cons.

I believe the Oil Sticks are OIL paint in form of sticks and the pastels are pure pigment binded with a waxy base!

Oil pastels are extremely creamy and blend easily. They are generally organic and free of oxidents, lightfast and come in an extensive range of colors. They are much harder in consistency then the oil sticks, more like a crayon in density.

Oil Sticks are more like lipstick..very soft ! Used with oil painting to achieve control in a pencil like form. They dry to a durable film, and can be used on any support proper for oil or encaustic painting.

Hope this helps some;)

Dyin
08-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Redsy...you have covered it perfectly...also Oil pastels never truly dry...they get hard to the touch though. You can put OPs over oil paints but not vice versa...you don't varnish OPs, although you can, but my understanding is that oil glazes especially come to life under varnish, so I assume the oil sticks also benefit from a varnish, and OPs, being such pure pigment glow with color as is. The Oil pastel sticky will answer most questions on them, but maybe the oil painting forum can tell you more about the oil sticks...