PDA

View Full Version : Old sailor and his buddy

Finally painting
09-23-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2012/1093182-Old_sailor_and_his_buddy.jpg I'm not sure I did this right. Hope it shows OK, this is on a 19" x23" canvas. Just started putting in shadows and highlights but thought maybe I could get some input before I continue. Thank-you in advance, :wave:

Andrewcody
09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
FP, there are some perspective issues you may want to look at and correct. Unless the building really is on a slant.
Regards
Andrew

Joshua_Miller
09-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah I would suggest the perspective as well. Maybe change the colour of his pants, so he doesn't blend into the floor.

Andrewcody
09-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Agree with JM, at first I thought he sitting there minus his pants.
Andrew

Trumper
09-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Agreed with all the above posts but i would also add ,how do you know it's an old sailor?
I know it's WIP so maybe you will be adding things like keep nets,fishing tackle,lobster pots etc.
Look forward to seeing it develop :)

Debzy
09-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Finally Painting! Always good to see a new face on here and glad you finally are painting! I look forward to seeing this develop too, I agree some ideas to do with fishing would be a good addition! Andrew is correct regards perspective, but perhaps that was your intention. The floor does appear to be slanted and the window out of perspective also. It has a good feel about it though, keep going, you are well on the way!!! Welcome to this forum, it is very helpful and supportive. Cheers =)) Debs.

Wassie
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Agree with JM, at first I thought he sitting there minus his pants.
Andrew

Me too! :lol: :lol:

Black Spot
09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
His right (our left) hand is a bit too small. Think where his should joint on the left (his right) and then consider the sleeve down that side. Paint his trousers blue. I presume he's taking a drag from a cigarette, maybe a hint of smoke wouldn't go amiss.

I don't mind the perspective being wrong as I thing it lends charm to the whole thing.

Finally painting
09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey thanks everyone. Yes it has a long way to go as it has only been started, just painted on this canvas 2 times so far. He will be more pronounced as I go, and I did notice the hand thanks. The wood will slowly be greyed and weathered on the dock and building and I will add touches of the sea, netting etc. as I go. I just need to research some pictures. The perspective I think may be a bit off but the picture I used I had gridded it to the canvas but maybe I better triple check that and adjust. His beard will be a bit greyer etc. Just thought I'd get some input before I go further and I really appreciate the comments. It's the only way I will learn. Adios for now.

Border Corpsman
09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
I like it. I know everyone else is right on with their observations but I still like it how it is. I could tell it was a sailor and I actually like most of the perspective differences but thats me, I guess I like art that is not mainstream or conforming to traditional principles. Im a bit of an odd ball and probably too novice to validate having an opinion lol. Excited to see it come along.

Finally painting
09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Thank-you Border Corpsman. I realize now, after the fact, that I have made mistakes, probably should change some of them, but I like the feel of what I am trying to do and I thought he looked like a sailor too. I'm major novice but am enjoying it. I think next time I'll take a picture of something and maybe I won't make so many errors by trying to invent something from my imagination. I'll keep at it and post it again after I've had a chance to work on it. Adios