PDA

View Full Version : Books with pictures

gillyvu
08-17-2003, 11:43 PM
WE all love to read, and long books are best for that. But sometimes, don't you just want to sit down and go through a book full of pictures? Well, here's your chance to share your favorite picture or photo books. What are the books you open to look at beautiful art or photos?

I like :
-The Hockey Sweater, Roch Carrier
-Hockey's Best Shots
-Impressionists, Antonia Cunnigham
- Legends of King Arthur, Richard Barber
and an illustrated Snow White book I had when I was just a wee one. It has the most beautiful paintings.

Keith Russell
08-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Elektra: Assasin, by Frank Miller and Bill Seinkewicz

Sandman: A Season of Mists, by Neil Gaiman, et al

The Thief of Always, by Clive Barker

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, illustrated by Arthur Rackham

Mythology of an Abandoned City by John J. Muth

K

Stoy Jones
08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
My favorite would be the superstock book of fine art used by large businesses for publishig purposes. Its well over 200 pages, so there's plenty to sit and look at.

My second "go-to" book is Walt Disney Imagineering, which is loaded with concept sketches and paintings and of course photographs.

Stoy Jones

paintfool
08-18-2003, 11:35 AM
The Secret Art of Dr. Suess. :)

dodger
08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
I still remember the first book I ever took out of the public library when I was just under 5 years old.

It was called "Flip", originally published in 1941, about an inquisitive foal that was written & illustrated by Wesley Dennis. The drawings are still in my memory! Crisp pencil drawings, a big picture book... all black & white. Having been born with a love of horses, & being a city kid, I went to books to satisfy my yearnings.

Yep, I credit Wesley Dennis, illustrator of many horse books with Marguerite Henry (Misty of Chincoteague), with opening up that door to my world.

Horses & art have been solid ground in my life.

timelady
08-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Faeries - Brian Froud and Alan Lee (this and Gnomes were ones I had as a child)
Uncle Shelby's ABZs - Shel Silverstein
A couple of Dave McKean books (collected covers of Sandman and the Vertigo tarot book)
A very old tattered Calvin & Hobbes
User Friendly books
Dykes to Watch Out For books
Dilbert, a few different strip collections

For art I keep those small versions of the Phaiden art books at the ready. I have The Art Book, 20th Century book, USA art book, Photography book... and I think there's another but maybe not. I can't remember! :)

Tina.

StoneCarver
08-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Tina -

I still look through my Fairies and Gnomes books, but I bought them when they first came out and I was not a child (darn kids these days - make me feel old).

I like to look through a large picture book of the history of sculpture that my brother gave me for x-mas last year. I never fail to find something new and inspirational (I don't know the author or publisher).

gillvu -
Great idea for a thread and some good ideas for other things to look at, thanks.

Tamana
08-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by paintfool
The Secret Art of Dr. Suess. :)
:D

The Secret Garden
Le' Petite Prince
Winnie the Pooh (Classic Fool not Disney Joker-- and besides that, who would wear a sweater and no trousers? :rolleyes: ).

DanaT
08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino where I was introduced to the beautiful Visconti-Sforza tarot deck.

Plantagenet Chronicles-excerpts of actual medieval chronicles from the reigns of kings Henry II, Richard, and John of England.

I think medieval imagery is the most fanciful and colorful - prolly due to the very dull lives they led. Contrast the modern world, where sensory overload causes a lot of visual design to be barebones minimalist.

Tamana - I like Le Petit Prince too! Did you know that de Saint-Exupery died in a mysterious plane crash in the Sahara?

Tamana
08-22-2003, 12:47 AM
I did!!!

And!!! I BET he KNOWS if the sheep ate the....

(you know....)

Mag
08-22-2003, 04:32 PM
I have to admit it, I am a sucker for any kind of picture book.

I love childrens books. (original wind in the willows wth pics by
Kenneth Grahame) And I love classic Pooh too. Having kids now gives me a good excuse to reread some of my faves from long ago. (The secret Garden, The Hobbit) I have read almost all the
Little House books. (Laura and my daughter are like twins.)

But also I love books on history, mythology, archaeology gardening, fish, life in a pond, you name it....etc. etc.
And I have to admit it, many of those books I look at first and maybe only read some.

I have been taking out a lot of art theory books lately (from the library) and find again the pics are worth a thousand words.

It is unfortunate that I can't bring a truck to cart home all the books that interest me.:cat:

melaleuca
08-22-2003, 10:22 PM
The Little Prince would have to be my favourite story. I do like Saint-Exupéry's other books too. Has anyone read Night Flight or Wind, Sand and Stars?

But the art/picture books that I absolutely adore are my Nick Bantock books. :clap:

DanaT
08-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Nick Bartock? Is that an author?

gillyvu
08-22-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry to say I really did not enjoy Le Petit Prince. The drawings are all cute and everything though. Maybe I should read it in an alternatif language, but I doubt that would help.

sue ellen
08-22-2003, 10:48 PM
A book called The Kittens Voyage
I had the book as a child and i don't even remember when I got it but it was wonderful. It was destroyed when i gave it to my little sister. She really was too young for it...but i wanted her to enjoy it as much as i did.....i think she ate a couple of the pages..lol..maybe she just chewed them up ..but it is gone now! :)

I still look for it in used book stores.......lol

Tamana
08-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by gillyvu
I'm sorry to say I really did not enjoy Le Petit Prince. The drawings are all cute and everything though. Maybe I should read it in an alternatif language, but I doubt that would help.

NAZI!!!!!!!

dodger
08-23-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by DanaT
Nick Bartock? Is that an author?

Nick Bantock is amazing! A unique experience with a truly gifted artist/author!!! :D

http://www.nickbantock.com/

AshleyShea
08-23-2003, 01:55 PM
I have a couple of books (I can't remember their names now, but it doesn't really matter) that are full of pictures of nature. These photos usually fill the entire page. I love these photos and they inspire so much in me. I was going to start cutting out the pictures to use in collages and other projects but there were so many pictures I liked, and many of them back to back, that I couldn't decide.

So, I decided to make these books Journals by altering the pages. Sometimes I write thoughts in the margins that the photos inspire. Sometimes I paint over a page of text so that I can write there. Sometimes I add items to the image. One photo that showed a beach I covered with cheesecloth that I had inked up to make it look like a fishing net and glued shells and beach glass to the net.

Instead of just looking at the images in awe, I now interact with these books and find this to be a great way to spark my creativity.

Take care!
Shari

DanaT
08-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Tam, everyone does NOT have to like Le Petit Prince. ;) LOL

Thanks Judy for the link.