PDA

View Full Version : Loop forming Swantrom pliers

sadiesjewels
08-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Does anyone have those new pliers from Swantrom ? I bought mine through Rio, but I'm having a terrible time getting a good loop and wrap with them. My hand version still is way better and the version using the tool is nowhere near the picture I have in my photocopied (and hence rather fuzzy) and unclear instructions...

I think I need help with these and am about ready to call the Rio technical support for help - thought I'd check here first though ...

Any ideas on improving my work with these things? They look like a very clever idea if only I knew how to perfect them!

Sadie

SylviaSkea
08-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Sadie, I'm sorry to say that I've had the same experience with them. When I first saw the ad for the Swanstrom wire-looping pliers I thought that they were the answer to my prayers. Rio Grande is one of my favorite suppliers for quality products and they were the exclusive dealer for these pliers. I also have many Swanstrom tools and love them... That said, I too am having a problem getting the same "tight design" results as doing it free hand... I also would love to hear what others have to say about using the tool.

Sylvia

sadiesjewels
08-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Sylvia,

I think I may call Rio for their opinion. As they weren't cheap and there are plenty of other tools on my want list I may return them - although I've been practising with them ...

Sadie

Vick
08-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi Sadie,
I have them and I'm not a happy camper. Not what I thought they would be. I'm thinking about returning them. If you talk to Rio would you mind updating us on what they said? Thanks.

Vicki

sadiesjewels
08-18-2003, 07:05 PM
I'll certainly post what they tell me ... It's disapointing that they are not as wonderful tool as they appeared to be .. oh well.

Sadie

sadiesjewels
08-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Hi there,

Just an update - I called Rio and spoke with a technical representative who also was unable to get a good loop and wrap with the pliers. She told me that some people had good success with them, but she had not been able to figure out what it was that they were doing differently, and she had been practicing for quite a while.

I've decided to return the pliers and get a refund (they are sending me a return postage sticker).

Oh well, they seemed like a good idea!

Sadie

SylviaSkea
08-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Sadie, thanks for the follow up with Rio Grande. As I understand from Rio, they sold lots of these tools. When I first put in my order with Rio I was told that the backorder list was over a thousand. I still hope to hear from someone who does love the tool and has been able to make it work as promised..

When I first got mine, I had trouble understanding what went where. The enclosed directions were a washed out copy and impossible to read. Val got the tool also and she did help me considerably. I hope this will make sense... There is a silver metal flat piece with a silver pin attached. This piece is between the two "Jaws" of the pliers and it moves. This piece/pin has to be pulled all the way forward to the top of the pliers when you close the pliers with your wire bent around the pin. That action will shorten the neck coming from the loop. Then you just wrap the wire around the remaining straight wire... Clear as mud???? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.
Even though I have done it this way, the loop and neck don't look as pretty as doing it the old fashioned way... Hey, I'm an old fashioned kind of gal.... Sorry Val, your directions were great but wire work has never been my strong suite.

Sylvia

ValorieCox
08-19-2003, 06:18 PM
I kink of like the tool--though I haven't played with them much. Here are the photos I sent my mom (Sylvia) to help her. Perhaps they will better explain the positioning of the wire within the tool. :)

Val

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2003/10378-tool1.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2003/10378-tool2.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2003/10378-tool3.JPG

sadiesjewels
08-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Well that's a great looking loop!

One of my problems seems to be that the wire slips under and behind the outer jaws when I squeeze it. Do you find that happening? I tightened the screw to try to stop that happening and tried a few different gauges of wire to see if it changed anything - but no luck - at least no consistent luck!

Great pictures Val - much better than my rather poorly photocopied version ...

I'll try again before they get mailed off ...

many thanks,

Sadie

ValorieCox
08-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by sadiesjewels
One of my problems seems to be that the wire slips under and behind the outer jaws when I squeeze it.

Try them again Sadie, I rather like my pair!

Just make sure the plate with the pin on it is pulled up high (near the edge of the jaws) and that the wire is in the mid-point of the pin (so it doesn't slip down). Press together--with each wire crossing over the other slightly.

Then wrap one wire around the other, and snip the excess. Voila!

Val

SylviaSkea
08-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Valorie to the rescue once again... Those pictures are so much better than my description..
Thanks Val... I'll keep practicing...

Sylvia

KD-W
08-19-2003, 11:51 PM
That looks pretty insane to me... surely a nice pair of simple pliers is the way to go? I usually find the simpler the tool the better the work, but perhaps I'm not being objective????!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: