PDA

View Full Version : Estuary morning

Marty C
08-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi All. I live on an island (bridge access) with a big estuary to the east and the Indian Ocean to the west. Some mornings are clear and still, just beautiful. This was one such morning. I did this Saturday afternoon while watching my football team play to a nail biting draw, I think my shaking hands helped with the leaves.
I've painted the hills considerably bigger than they really are, because I wish they were bigger!
Love to read any comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2003/16809-Estuary1.JPG

katz
08-17-2003, 10:40 PM
This is really a beautiful scene. I love the colors that you used and I especially like the highlights that you applied to the trunk of the tree. The blues with the oranges and greens are really a beautiful combination.
Katz

Lady Carol
08-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey Marty! This is a little different from the other you have posted. Love that gum tree...any koalas up there? :D A very beautiful scene. I think it would be strengthened if the tree on the left was cropped out:)

Marty C
08-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks Katz and Carol for your comments.

By the way Carol - there are no koalas in WA (except in animal parks). My wife also suggested the bush on the left be removed, seems you ladies have got it when it comes to composition.

Also forgot to include size - it is 90 by 60cm on gessoed board.

thewanderess
08-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Beautiful!:clap:
I love the contrast of the cool blue with the warm orange.

So did you end up cropping the tree?

dina

shirleyq
08-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Your tree is especially well done. This looks so much like an oil, which is a compliment in my mind:) I am also wondering what you did about the tree...................I like it there.........it keeps you in the middle of this beautiful painting.:)

Marty C
08-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the comments, very much appreciated.
I looked at this side tree thing , played around with it and finally decided to leave it there. The focus on the big tree was sharper without the tree on the left but it also tended to unbalance ( in my mind anyway) the scene as a whole. For me it acts as a first stop for the eye and then I get drawn in along the shoreline to the big tree.
Of course, the real reason might be I'm lazy and don't want to change it!

gill
08-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I like the strong morning light and the way you have it in the leaves. What about doing the same view at sunset, it may make an interestind set of paintings?
gill