PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals

jimwhalen
09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
This style and subject matter is WAY outside my usual work (abstracts and landscapes). My sister asked me to paint this for her and it is near completion. I would like some input before I finish up the male cardinal and send it off a to her.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2012/1121432-P1030352-001.JPG

levanty
09-21-2012, 07:28 PM
The male being the more attractive of the bird species lacks detail in the wings (body). Most females are hennish or brown (I am assuming).

levanty
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
The male being the more attractive of the bird species lacks detail in the wings (body). Most females are hennish or brown (I am assuming).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2012/980793-northern-cardinal-sideview.jpg

jimwhalen
09-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Yes, as I stated the male cardinal is the only part of the entire painting that has not yet been completed - actually it is barely beyond the blocked in stage. I am looking for comments about the rest of the painting, the snow, the pine branches, and the female cardinal, etc.

levanty
09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh, I misunderstood your original post. Other than the male, everything looks pretty nice. Congrats!

jimwhalen
09-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I have tried to upload a better image. I hope this is clearer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2012/1121432-cardinals_in_the_snow.jpg

Debzy
09-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Jim! I think this will be delightful when the male is finished off! They are beautiful little birds! You have put a lot of work and detail into the pine needles! I am mainly a water colour landscape painter, so may not be the ideal critique person for you. I like the little pile of snow on the branch next to the female, maybe one or two more like this would be nice, it doesn't look quite as real on the lower branches (to me) just my opinion really. I love the background sky colour, I'm in two minds about the large expanse of snow behind the birds. Perhaps it is how it lines up with the head of the male? Or it may be a bit too curved and structured on the outside edge? Again, this is just an opinion and it may well look just like that, I don't have snow where I am, so not vey familiar with it. I love the birds and the scene, I'm sure your sister will be chuffed with it. It is lovely and colourful! Cheers and welcome to WC Jim! =)) Debs.

jimwhalen
09-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words and critisism. Actually the shape of the snow is almost an exact copy of my source picture - also I grew up with snow and it takes on those odd contours as it compacts branches and then piles up.
The branches below and to the right of the male cardinal are poking out of the snow straight on from the viewers perspective and I struggled with them; they are also sticking further out toward the viewer from the rest and are catching some direct sunlight. The male cardinal is also in some direct sun and when he is finished, hopefully the color of those branches will make sense.

crafor
09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Wow!That's already impressive. She will be delighted with it! That's a beauty. Well done!
Ella

jimwhalen
09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your kind words Ella. I hope I can capture that male bird with the sunlight. Almost everything about this painting was a first for me - never painted snow, birds, or such detail pine branches before - it has been a real challenge for me. So, your words are nice to hear.

ThisIsMary
09-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Jim,

Your composition is wonderful! I love the colors that you chose. Your snow looks like snow, which is hard to capture. Very nice so far!

crafor
09-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes. How did you get that snow to look like that? What is your medium? What is your technique? The snow is, well, snow.
Ella

Finally painting
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!Love the red and the snow does look real.

jimwhalen
10-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Thank you Mary and FinallyPainting for your observations and comments.

Yes. How did you get that snow to look like that? What is your medium? What is your technique? The snow is, well, snow.
Ella

This is an acrylic paint. I had never painted snow before and didn't have a clue as to technique. I just painted what I saw in my source picture and really don't have anything to share about any technique - It is really good to hear that the snow "looks like snow". I will be getting back to this soon and will post the finished painting.