PDA

View Full Version : my first painting

PvRising
08-17-2003, 11:20 AM
I got a blank canvas at a garage sale for $2.50.
I didn't have any brushes, so I used a metal cooking spatula and some acrylics that a friend gave me.

It's about 40"x60" and has a looseness that I think was determined by my inexperience with paint. Since I've "learned" more about painting, I've tried to recapture this looseness, but haven't come close.

Makes you wonder what is learned and what is lost.

Anyone have thoughts on the concept of "art education"?
Pro or con?

yoyita_yoyita
08-17-2003, 01:42 PM
I like that you repeated the bright red on the top of the painting, it gives it unity. Perhaps I would like to see more of the white and blue pattern on the bottom too.

The human figure, in a dark red, is not that defined (if it is a human figure) and the color is not repeated anywhere in the rest of the canvas, therefore is attracting too much attention without much definition.

Hope it helps.

Tamana
08-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Love the light streaming in

sec
08-18-2003, 03:12 AM
I LOVE this painting!!!!

It's the same thing with my first painting, PvRising. I did it in H.S. when I was 16, entered it into a youth art competition and won the Curator's choice award. I chose not to go to art school, but have been working and learning constantly on my own about art since then (5 years), mostly drawing, painting and art history, and I still consider that first painting to be the best one I've ever done. i still use it as a standard for all my other paintings. I guess it was beginners luck? lol . My drawing has improved immensely though, as far as realism goes. I do feel that I have misplaced some of my imagination, though, being that I've been so concentrated on improving. I'm sure once I get the skills down hopefully my imagination will come back full strength!

jenna_searcher
08-18-2003, 10:07 PM
awesome -
loose enough for me :D
love the motlen colors trapped under the dark.
interesting.