PDA

View Full Version : New Holbeins...and novice nude!

djstar
06-19-2001, 12:53 AM
I am posting all over the place in the new format. Somehow I am not sure if I want to use all the lights and whistles, but I like to show off where I feel at home.
Here's susie:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2001/Susiesfirstnudewc.jpg
It is her first time modeling nude and she was great. I did her
one other time (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10261) and her unusual face was great.
I found out her mother is a talented instructor at the school. Joni Falk who does watercolors! One never knows who one will meet naked....once again, I digress (I think it is my only exercise these days...)
My friend gave me a box of portrait Holbeins as a gift for a gift I did of her deceaced pup. WHAT A GREAT PAL!!!
She had fun shopping and I now know what the shades are because the box is labeled.
They are some of my favorite to buy solo because they are hard-ER. Easier to handle for me than really soft stuff.
My Pthalo underpainting mixed with some copper, aqua and light purple made me very happy so far.
Here is a detail of the face:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2001/susnudfac.jpg

The hand is too full. Had to pull out different stuff to try to save it and not too happy with the results.
I felt very Degas as I went! Lost a bit in the finish, but love her expression.
Well?
dj*

dollardays
06-22-2001, 01:55 PM
I especially like the way you captured the light falling on her. I seem to be losing her face as I can't see a chin too clearly. The hair is awesome. I'm not sure I like the warm yellow background with the cool pink. Still... a great piece! Keep those demos coming!! I love seeing them.

Regards,

Nora

RedShoes
06-28-2001, 09:55 AM
Love the texture of this one!!! I especially like the blues and light purple showing through on her leg.

Mayet Ankh
07-01-2001, 06:23 AM
Hi Dj, I really like your pastels - I think I saw this one of Susie somewhere else - maybe in critique and I like it a lot. Lots of colour - sometimes I think I must be colourblind, always sticking to the graphite and brown lead hehe. I don't usually visit the pastel forum as I have not used pastel in a while and not often on the figure. But you are inspiring me to go back to it :) Can you tell me about the underpainting - is it watercolour and if so is that watercolour paper that you have used? Also do you use fixative during or on completion? One thing that turned me away from using pastel is the fact that it is so fragile and hard to store the pictures unless framed. Hope I am not bombarding you with too many questions here :)
Mayet

djstar
07-01-2001, 03:39 PM
I use both acrylic and watercolor but mostly whatever is around. It ends up a slop, if you check out my other posts on pow wows and the last cowboy, you can get the idea. All I am doing is breaking the white of the page.
This paper is Morilla which I am not even sure I have seen recently. It is a really rough 140 lb watercolor, I believe a rather resistant, but easily sogged, if that makes sense, surface.
I also have used 140 c/p arches. Just a medium to hold the chalk.
The pastels I use are nupastel and the harder ones. They can be fixed with workable and not loose too much brilliance, but the whiter colors are not as bright.
I agree with all of your other assessments. Too hard to store without glass, I have none framed, so I stack them in a portfolio flat on top of each other.
DUMB idea, but I think I am good at it so I will work it a while until I get all freaked again and go back to the oils. LESS room to store the oils, I am out of wall space and never got time to learn to stretch and unstretch canvas.
My slow summer got really exciting. I am a wreck, but just sneaked time to post.
Thanks for asking.
dj*

Leaflin
07-30-2001, 02:33 PM
DJ
This is wonderful.
Your colours seem to dance on your paper and my eyes follow them around.
I love your highlights and shadows.
Glad I stopped in here.:)