PDA

View Full Version : The Iowa that I remember - Painting in progress

ThisIsMary
09-20-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2012/1122802-the-iowa-that-i-remember-gif.gif

The white haze is shiny not at all dry paint and bad photography.

Regardless, this painting started as a 5 minute masterpiece challenge presented by MoanLisa's Art Academe on google plus. If you have never seen her challenges, you should take a look. She makes you think. In this challenge, you could do whatever you wanted as long as you took 5 minutes total to do it. I had a canvas in gesso, so I sketched and mixed paint right on the canvas.

This is what it looked like
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2012/1122802-The-Iowa-I-Remember-5-minuite-sketch-oil-on-canvas.gif

Because I am a firm believer in footly tootling around with any painting as much as possible, I decided to try to save it.

Comment away folks, if you have the time or inclination. Good, bad, indifferent all feedback is helpful!

Thanks!

Andrewcody
09-21-2012, 03:14 AM
5 Minutes?
That is exceptional for 5 minutes
:)
Regards
Andrew

sweeter_than
09-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I like this a lot. Bright and pleasing. The only thing I'm not comprehending, is that stripe of dark shadow on the corn stalks.

Debzy
09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow! Well done I say! Amazing amount of detail for 5 minutes! Takes me longer than that to get colours on my brush and even to draw a quick sketch! Love the colours too, very fresh!!! Cheers =)) Debs

ThisIsMary
09-21-2012, 10:21 PM
The dark stripe on the corn stalks is supposed to be a shadow from the hill to the right. I looked at it tonight, and sadly, it is in the wrong place. Will fix it, thanks for the question, it made me look at something that needed attention! That said, the bottom of the 2 was the 5 minute one. Because of the time constraint, I just painted, no time to think, it was a wonderful exercise.

jimwhalen
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I really like this piece Mary. It reminds me of some of the American Regionalism of the WPA era art, especially Grant Wood.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2012/1121432-grant_wood_xx_landscape_1930.jpg

ThisIsMary
09-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Jim, Thank you!
The resemblance to Regionalism is not unintentional. I grew up in more or less the same area that Grant Wood lived and worked. Wood's work (and mine in this instance) are pretty much what Northeastern Iowa look like. Also, from my signature, you may gather that I consider myself to actually BE a Regionalist.

In the last few years there has been a movement via large museums, curators and galleries to "redefine" Regionalism into something more modern, urban, and politically correct.

My position is that while born in the American Midwest, Regionalism belongs to any rural / small town Artist that "paints what they know". The definition of Regionalism as an Art movement is for the Artists to determine.

I consider Regionalism as an Art Movement to be ongoing. Follow me here; Grant Wood had associates / friends that he worked with. John Bloom and Isabel Scherer attended both years of the Art colony at Stone City. John was Grant Wood's ice wagon roommate at the colony. John and Isabel married, moved to Davenport, Iowa, where Isabel made wonderful sculpture out of concrete while John worked with Grant Wood until Grant's death then continued his Art career alone. I worked at Isabel's studio for six years.

I am a rural resident, an actual farmer to put not too fine a point on it. I paint what I know. I am a Regionalist.

Now, I understand that my claim to the Art movement is tenuous (and to be honest, I believe that John didn't like me all that much - laughing), still the claim is real. Curators, Professors and Fancy city folk may not "redefine" an ongoing Art movement.

I don't intend to be a "little Wood" nor do I lay exclusive claim to Regionalism. I stepped up to preserve Regionalism for ALL rural and small town Artists who choose to call themselves Regionalists and to "paint what they know".

ThisIsMary
09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh, and I painted this;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2012/1122802-Gif-Americana-In-Progress-readdressing-American-Gothic-gif.gif

I love Grant Wood's work, but one of his paintings, I thought, needed a little freshening. Funny Ironic intent people, I am fully capable of Hubris, just not this time.

vmrs
09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I love your work!!
I like your explanation of Regionalism too. I've lived all over because my hubby was in the military for years, but I really like the light in Iowa and Illinois (except for when it's humid). It seems very clear and the fields look they ramble on forever. The Figge has some of Grant Wood's stuff, I spent a lot of time looking at it.

ThisIsMary
09-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I love your work!!
I like your explanation of Regionalism too. I've lived all over because my hubby was in the military for years, but I really like the light in Iowa and Illinois (except for when it's humid). It seems very clear and the fields look they ramble on forever. The Figge has some of Grant Wood's stuff, I spent a lot of time looking at it.

Virginia, the light in your part of the world IS wonderful, liquid and golden at both ends of the day. I was just at the Figge on my week long Regionalist pilgrimage. Grant Wood was one fine artist. Interesting too is the work of John Bloom, John was a lot more talented than he ever got credit for. If you are ever in the East Village (of Davenport) Mississippi Fine Arts has quite a few of his prints and drawings. They also have John's sculpture, which will absolutely blow you away. It is stunning.

On your blog "The Oak" is amazing. Love it!