PDA

View Full Version : Masa paper anyone?

T-Rex
06-18-2001, 07:59 PM
Oh hey, would anyone have any suggestions/comments on using masa paper? Any resources to check out? Thanks.

Karen

Eliz
06-18-2001, 09:39 PM
I'm interested also. I bought a sheet of masa paper last month after seeing some beautiful, almost batik looking, paintings. But I'm not sure what to do with it, so it is sitting under my bed (along with two full sheets of arches that I can't figure out how to stretch :) ).

Soak and crumple is such a drastic action! Some sites mention mounting on watercolor paper or illustration board, but I haven't been able to find detailed directions. Before or after painting? What do you use? I've seen mentions of glues ranging from diluted Elmer's, to acrylic matte medium, to wallpaper paste.

:rolleyes:

I guess I should just take the plunge and start experimenting...

carly
06-19-2001, 12:31 AM
I tried directions for masa paper (using rice paper instead) for doing a batik watercolor effect.

First crumple the paper...some directions said you could wet the paper first...others said not to wet. I just crumpled my rice paper dry. Then you smooth out the paper with your hands and using acrylic gel medium thinned with water about 50/50 you adhere it to a piece of watercolor paper...smoothing out the masa with your hands from the center out. The lines will still show and it won't be perfectly smooth all over.

Then you can lightly sketch a pattern of flowers or your subject on the paper....or just use lots of color in an abstract pattern. The lines will grab more of the color forming the batik like pattern. I stapled my watercolor paper down to a board to hold it in place while I worked on the painting.
Hope that helps some!
carly

T-Rex
06-19-2001, 08:55 AM
:D I've seen a site w/ some beautiful pieces & I love that batik look but never wanted to go thru that process. My watercolor teacher has done some but she adhered the paper w/ 50/50 water and elmers. She says the rice paper chases the pigment into the valleys whereas the masa draws it into the wrinkles. I've tried both and that seems to happen. I tried adhering it w/ yes glue, so far so good. Now I'm trying not adhering til I'm done painting. I've also been told that for more intense color (it seems to get muted and soft) use ink. Its not supposed to bleed. We'll see. I guess its trial and error. I tried sealing it w/ a coat of gloss medium but once you do that there's no going back. It really made the wrinkles and contrast come alive. I'm worried I'm creating a haven for mold and mildew :confused: From my less than expert opinion it wrinkles better wet but its extremely delicate. I'm going to keep experimenting.....Karen :D :D :D

VictoriaS
06-19-2001, 08:17 PM
This website has some really nice examples of paintings on Masa paper, and she tells a bit about her procedure.

http://www.bcpl.net/~jhoutz/news.html

T-Rex
06-19-2001, 09:56 PM
Thank you much:)

Rod
06-20-2001, 02:46 AM
I've never used Masa paper but its great to get some information, now I'm tempted :)
Rod.

Eliz
06-20-2001, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to take the plunge and pull my paper out from under my bed.

A possibly silly question, but I am very ignorant about acrylics: I just bought some acrylic gesso (a recent PBS watercolor show demo-ed painting on gesso coated paper, and I want to give it a try). Will this work to glue down the masa paper, or do I need to make another trip to the art store for acrylic medium?

Liz

T-Rex
06-21-2001, 08:44 AM
This is what scares me about the gesso or adhering w/ medium, I fear that the delicate surface of the masa will be hampered in some way, if I can get to it today I'll give both a try. I used medium only after everything was painted, so far the "don't adhere it at all til after painting" method has been fun because you can wrinkle it more and it dries a little quicker, Wow does this stuff ever bleed, what a fun challenge... defintely got to keep up w/ those damp places.....if I can get this scanner figured out I'll try to post some experiments, right now I'm laying out a paper collage w/ my disasters so I don't waste this stuff:D .........karen