PDA

View Full Version : Karly OP WIP

christmascarolnz
08-16-2003, 05:30 AM
Seems like I'm talking in code! ..opwip...
Here, just for you Sue, is my second try with the ops. I can't say I'm enjoying them...I wish there were op pencils.;)
The bronze op is what is shining on this woman's face. It seems the right colour for her skin. I'm still working on her sari as you can tell.
I was given Karly's photo by some folk who had quite a story about this poor lady. Karly is a Bangladesh woman.
Please help me with her...I just can't seem to get it right - proportions, light and shade, etc. Critique most welcome. What about her shoulders? The green one?
Thanks for checking this out.
Carol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2003/4807-Karly.jpg

Mo.
08-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi Carol.... seems to me you are doing fine at the moment... good idea to use the bronze for her skin...you might like to blend it in witha duller colour to take a bit of the sheen away a little, you'll still have a good effect.. her facial proportions seem fine to me, with the exception of the viewers eye, looks just a tad lower than the other, and the viewers right nostril, this also appears to drrop a little........... her green shoulder is obviously bothering you, think I can see why, I can't define where the top of her arm joins her shoulder..... I think the shoulder should be a little wider there.. to me at the moment it looks all arm and no shoulder if you get my drift............Hope this helps some.............. what pastels are you using........... for your first attempt with OP's I think you are doing great...Love the facial expression and those teeth are superb!

Mo.:

meowmeow
08-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Great start! It sure doesn't look like you are not comfortable with what you are using.
I agree with Mo's comments...but it looks wonderful so far!

Sandy

Dyin
08-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Just for ME??? Awwwww...
Actually, Carol, I think this is a very strong piece! Her skin tone is marvelous...I love the bronze...a caution though, if this is a Sennelier bronze they say it may be fugitive...but as you say, it is just right for her skin tone...
as to the shoulder...since she's all hunched up and leaning forward it could very well be in that position...but I would darken up the inside folds quite a bit at the base...
I think maybe if you punch up the folds in the sari a little bit it would help...deepen the shadows on the back side of the folds a touch...since the light source seems to be in front of her...

now for the good....really love the hand, the green really works with the lovely mahogany skin tone, and those teeth could not have been easy and you did them well...this just needs finishing touches if you ask me...

sorry you're not enjoying the OPs...they take more time than the soft pastels...but I think they like you!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Greeble
08-16-2003, 09:01 AM
nice!

I am definately not up to your skills so I am not qualified to criticize.... BUT my very first impression when looking was.. is her mouth that big?

Are you working from a photo?

I am gonna go hide now.

Jen

bnoonan
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Carol, she's looking really good. Do me a favor and put this image and your original in black and white and check your values. I'm not sure... but I think it may be helpful in seeing if the cheeks are too light and perhaps if the green on the shoulder is also too bright. They step forward so much it may need to be darkened slightly - but you have to look at the original to compare.

Absolutely love the colors on the forehead and on the back of the hand and I applaud your using OP's. I've not gone down that road and don't plan on it anytime soon. All that said I've seen some incredible work in this forum by Op artists (they know who they are) and you are in good company.

Barb

christmascarolnz
08-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. Yes Sue I had a go just for you.
Of course once our pic is up that is when we see really bad flaws!I noticed her eye was wonky and her cheek next to her hand is too round and the other one is too flat.
I thought I'd have a go at painting an eye then measuring everything else and working from that. Usually I like to put a grid up but I wasn't patient enough, and I did want to be like a master...
I really appreciate the technical expertise you've all sent my way - I'm definately feeling a bit better about it now. - I nearly put it into the too-hard pile.
I only have the carann de ache op's. I don't think they are a big seller around these parts.
Great idea about the photo and my painting. I shall try it. Gotta go bake now - and turn out a lemon-flavoured masterpiece.;)
Cheers,
Carol

Dyin
08-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Carol...try holding your paintings up in a mirror...it's very truthful! And it helps you as you're developing a painting...and you can measure with the end of your brush or on a photo just measure the distances and then say the nose is one and 1/2 times the eye, etc...hope that helps...and I hope you get past your OP phobia...you really made it sing so far! Let us see anything else you do with it, k? And thanks for making me feel good...:D

bnoonan
08-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Sue - thanks for the thoughts on the mirror. I have to do that right now on a piece that's giving me a hard time. I carry that thing around with me and forgot to pull it out for this piece.

Carol - have great fun baking. I made the ever popular oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday!

B