PDA

View Full Version : pastel pencils

raye51
08-16-2003, 12:36 AM
this is my first attempt (a work in progress) with Faber Castell pastel pencils, usually work with Prismacolor wax based pencils...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2003/13941-wip_pastel_1.jpg
Raye

Dyin
08-16-2003, 12:47 AM
Hey, Raye...very nice peaches! Or could be nectarines with that shine...first one, huh? Must have done some nice work with the Prismacolors...good job, keep us updated as you finish this...and welcome to the pastel forum!

Dark_Shades
08-16-2003, 04:26 AM
Yikes!!! 5 hours....... bet your arm ached..... or have you built up musckles ;) by now using Prismacolours :) ...... was that time all in one session?

This is obviously going to be great when its finished....... looked at your work on your site....... great stuff!
I bought a whole set of Prismacolours on the strength of all the beautiful work I saw in the CP forum...... been to intimidated to do anything with them though ha ha........ are you using pastel pencils in the same fashion

looking forward to updates

...... and welcome to the Pastel Forum......... I have a set of FC's.... love em

christmascarolnz
08-16-2003, 05:54 AM
Very nice...and welcome to pastels.
Carol

Mo.
08-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Welcome Raye.....looking very good so far.... great texture on the skins of the fruit ,

Mo.:)

meowmeow
08-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Lovely work...very fine detail.

Sandy

raye51
08-16-2003, 09:45 PM
thank u all, i really like working with these! however going to add cp for more detail....
Raye

Dyin
08-16-2003, 09:51 PM
I sometimes use Prismacolors with my Oil pastels...I never have gotten the hang of the pastel pencils....and it's kind of nice because I can pick a same color and push the ops where I want without messing up...hope you'll show us the results, people here mix watercolor, solvents, pencils etc with the pastels...

raye51
08-23-2003, 06:30 PM
This is my completed work, after finishing off with prismacolor pencils... All comments welcome, showing up a bit dark and the hightlights not coming thru with the scan...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2003/13941-wip_cp4.jpg

Thanks for looking... Raye

Dyin
08-23-2003, 06:41 PM
These came out gorgeous, Raye! Only thing missing is a little juice slipping off onto the table where my finger would swipe and then be raised to my mouth...oh, er...that's how good they look lol! Really great job!

Dark_Shades
08-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Wow....... these turned out fantastic...... well done........

can you tell us more about your procedure...... I have CP's and never used them yet...... keep seeing all the great works in CP forum..... and its intimidating lol.... hence never used...... but I like the sound of incorporating both

BeyondTheNineSquares
08-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Yummy! This is making my mouth water! I've never used the pastel pencils and only recently found out that they exist! Oh, dear! Somebody hide the car keys and debit card! A new toy to play with! lol

Very nice work!

ann4jc
08-23-2003, 07:49 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW ,WELL DONE RAYE.
THEY DO LOOK GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT.
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT SOME COLOURED PENCILS OF E BAY,DO THEY USUALY COME WITHOUT A WHITE .
I USE FABER PASTEL PENCILS MOST OF THE TIME MY SANDIE COMMISSION 2 I USED THEM ,HERE IS A SITE WHERE ANYONE WANTING TO START OUT WITH PASTEL PENCILS CAN GO ,COMPLETE WITH DEMOS.

http://www.bradleygallery.co.uk/

Hope this is of help to anyone who is interested.:clap:
Once Again well done you deserve it.:clap: :clap: :clap:

raye51
08-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Thank u all for the great comments, I have only just tried the pastel pencils to speed up my work. I have used pastels, but being somewhat of a neat freak, can't tolerate the mess. I find I have more control over the pencils. As far as my technique, I did an underpainting with the pastel pencils, than added layers of cp very tight....
Thanks for looking, Raye

angeline
08-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Those look like nectarines to me.....yummmmmmmm.
I am quite taken with the effects of coloured pencils too....would love to know more about how you did this.

Dark_Shades
08-23-2003, 08:12 PM
thanks for sharing Raye.... will definately have to try that out..... I would of thought the CP's would have taken the pastel off........ what is the paper you use?

Yes Ann thats a good site, I got my pastel pencils from there, got a whole set, and then you can buy individual ones too, the tutorials are very good....... and he is what got me all started with pastels

Redsy333
08-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Exceptional work!! I was very pleased to see your second posting with the cps added!! Very nice work indeed!!;)

Autieri
08-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Great work, Raye! I am also curious to know how you combine CP and pastel together. I've tried it once and the CP just slid all over the top of the pastel dust. So I'm very curious about your technique. I'd like to be able to add some CP accents to my work, particularly when working small.

Jerry

MarciaJane
08-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Nice work Raye :) ......Welcome to the pastel forum.

I also use FC pastel pencils and find they are lovely!

Hope to see more of your work soon.