PDA

View Full Version : Another beach-sunset-critique please

katz
08-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi,
This is also posted in landscapes.
18"x24" gallery canvas.

I really enjoyed painting the reflections on the water, clouds and wet sand. The little tiny shape in the distance is a person walking the beach.
Wish I was walking along that beach right now.:D

Critiques and comments welcome.

;) :p
Gay

talkingbanana
08-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I love it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
08-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Great stuff! It grabbed me straight away. The clouds are very well done and I'm very impressed with the colour mix you have in the foam along the shore line. You have a good sense of movement in the water, I've noticed in some of your other work the fine eye you have for water, foam and waves, I'd love to get some of that into my pieces! Terrific.:clap: :clap: :clap:

CarlyHardy
08-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Beautiful! Color and Excellent rendering of the waves along the beach....the entire scene is just perfect.

My only concern is that a person that far away on the landscape would not be seen at all....and is it the tilt of the image or is the horizon higher on the left side?

carly

katz
08-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all your comments.
The slant is because of my digital picture taking I'm afraid. The horizon line is straight on the painting.
Gay
:)

Phranque
08-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Wow. This is fantastic. I love the sky and you did a great job on the water.

fletch
08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Just plain LOVELY..!!!! Makes me want to get my feet wet..:D
Great job..:clap: :clap:

surreal
08-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi Gay,
This painting is a winner!
The composition is exciting; I love the air of mystery created by the darkened area of color on the right.

The sky is exquisitely painted, as is the water and beach.
The colors are magnificent and the reflections on the water and beach are a joy to behold!!!

My one concern is this:
*mind you, I have never studied renditions of sunsets*
The horizon line is in very sharp focus.
My thinking is this:
should it be in such sharp focus, with the delineation of line as evident as it is?

Also, there is a thickened area of pink (or reddish color) above the horizon line, running in a horizontal plane.
Is this thickened area correctly rendered?

*I already stated that I am no expert in renditions of sunsets*
:rolleyes:

And my critique without my morning coffee.
LOL
:o

All in all, Gay, I adore it!!!!!
And your particular style, is in evidence, throughout this exquisite painting.
:D

I looked at it a few times last night and will return to visit it again.
:D

P.S- Could you please post a smaller image, so we could fully appreciate the composition. It's difficult to appreciate the very appealing composition, when having to scroll up and down to take in the whole marvellous piece. ;)

mf.sutton
08-16-2003, 02:27 PM
all I can say is WOW I love it.

mike

:clap: :clap:

katz
08-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Nina, thanks.

Sunsets that I have seen usually do have a brighter thicker line coloring close to the horizon. It depends on how many low clouds are in front of it. I did use a photo for reference for this painting. Of course I didn't copy it exactly, but it does show the brighter coloring on the botton by the horizon. I have been trying to catch sunsets often to see how this looks. I also believe that there is is dark line that shows just below the sunset before the sun goes down.

I appreciate your critique. Thanks again.
:D Gay
I will post a smaller image now also. So you can see the composition better.

surreal
08-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Gay,
Thanks for posting the smaller pic. The composition is beautiful.
You've got another winning painting on your hands. ;)

katz
08-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks again NIna.
:) Gay

gnu
08-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Awesome Gay!! I've seen LOTS of beach sunsets (of course, being 10 min walk away!!:rolleyes: ) and this is spectacular..Agree with you, there is amazing tonal differences as the sun sets over horizon...that cloud is spectacular, don't often get that wonderful combination!
you could add a person closer, possibly, as it would be larger..this one is a little too lost :)
the waves/sea is awesomely real...

:clap: :clap: :cat: Gill

Lady Carol
08-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Sensational!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artmidwife
08-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Ab Fab!! I think the comment about bringing the person closer is a good idea. The colors on the sand are wonderful. It's hard enough to catch it with a photo, you did a great job!!

Lisa

katz
08-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks so much for your comments.
Gill, Carol, and Lisa.
:D Gay

William Reents
08-23-2003, 11:23 PM
This Is Beautiful.Great job.

champagneharley
08-24-2003, 12:48 AM
You've done fine on the sunset colours. I've photographed many sunsets, living just 100 yards from the beach.
The only observations I have, may just be nit-picking, and possibly even the photograph angle.
It's just that I find sunsets so calming, and the lower left water seems to pull upwards and outwards, like a 'rip' tide rather than a gentle roll of the tide to shore.
Also the reflected 'wet' shore, as far as perspective, needs to narrow more as it recedes to the horizon. I'd possibly look to widening it in the foreground, as it's got such beautiful jewelled colours.
All up, it's a lovely work, you should be well pleased with it!
Regards,
Jillian

edwardmartin
08-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Great Composition & colors !!!!!

Antonella
08-24-2003, 03:37 PM
very beautiful and captivating!well done!

Queticon
08-24-2003, 08:58 PM
I simply love this piece. It is simple and pleasing to the eye. It makes me relax just looking at it, like I can almost smell the fresh sea air hitting my face.

Dan

Keith Russell
08-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Good evening.

This is excellent, and only one (very tiny) thing about it bothers me...

...that little 'dot' that represents the person walking alone the beach near the horizon.

K

Queticon
08-24-2003, 09:06 PM
I didn't even see that the first time I looked at it Keith. I would have to agree it is a little distracting now that I notice it there.

katz
09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
I have been on vacation, sorry for the delay in replying. :)
Thanks so much for all of your comments, William, Jillian, Edward, Antonella, Queticom, and Keith.
I have since removed the dark spec of a person and narrowed the path of reflected light nearest the horizon line.

Gay