PDA

View Full Version : "untraditional" additives to paint

-paul-
06-18-2001, 05:19 PM
i'm wondering if it's unwise to add "foreign" things to oil paint.
i do some soapstone work and have loads of really dense dust piled up, and have been thinking about trying to mix it with paint.
i like the idea of being able to pile up thick paint on the surface without spending a lot of student loan money..heh heh heh. i guess i just have to try it to find out.
i am probably making a lot of you cringe :eek: at me even asking, but anyways.....
i know people add sand etc. to acrylic...i guess because it's basically plastic? is it just as 'safe' to add things to oil?
does ayone else add peculiar things to their paint?
maybe it's just stupid...

Titanium
06-19-2001, 04:46 PM
Paul ,

soapstone - impure form of Talc .

Used in commercial housepaints.
As an extender , suspender , reinforcing the
film , for exterior use .

Will probably go clear/grey in oil , may need
a good deal of oil to make paint .

Rembrandt used hand ground chalk , you
could read up on this and see if Soapstone
will work .

Happy experimenting .
Titanium

paintfool
06-19-2001, 07:58 PM
You would probably want to refrain from mixing biodegradable materials into your paint. I don't know too much about this, addmittedly, but it does stand to reason that if you started to add things such as saw dust or other wood/paper products you'll likley encounter a very early breakdown of your peice. I can't imagine any such problems with stone but i'd be interested in what some of you who may use them will say. I love the idea of more texture.
Cheryl

DrLondon
06-20-2001, 11:52 AM
Funny story: I knew a lady who mixed macaroni noodles (uncooked) to a painting once and while it was in storage some rats had a feast.:eek: :D :clap:

Sorry, just a tad OT but I just had to share.

paintfool
06-20-2001, 12:29 PM
Actually Doc, that's not really off topic at all. We might be surprised to learn of the ... strange... things people have tried to do to thier paintings! :D Now we know what happened to all of that wonderful 'macaroni art' we so proudly adorned our mothers refrigerators with....
Cheryl

jonecool
07-16-2001, 09:36 AM
i've used sand in oil as well as acrylic.
picasso and braque (sp?) used to do it all the time when they were developing cubism.
another great way to get texture is to use modeling paste before you start to paint.

arourapope
07-16-2001, 05:56 PM
I used tiny copper nuggets in an oil painting a couple of years ago. As far as I know it's still okay. I can't wait to see what else comes up in this thread as I've wondered about adding stuff alot myself. What would bits of broken glass do, I wonder?
Aurora

jonecool
07-17-2001, 10:36 AM
that sounds interesting...
where did you get the copper and how small were the pieces?

arourapope
07-18-2001, 12:16 PM
There's a little store in a little town in Indiana that my mother-in-law took me to. It's a coppersmith's store, where he sells all of his stuff, and they also sell little boxes of melted copper nuggets. The nuggets are all pretty small - all smaller than about a half an inch. I used the tiniest ones and stuck them into the wet paint (pretty thick paint). Once the paint was dry, they were well attached. It gave the painting a subtle glitter in different spots. I like the effect alot; I just hope the little nuggets stay where I put them. ;)
You could possibly punch "coppersmith" into a search engine online and find some?
Aurora

jonecool
07-18-2001, 12:59 PM
i have paintings i did as far back as 1976 or so that i stuck things onto the paint and it ain't going anywhere so far! i'd give it a good spray too, just to be sure. thanks for the idea!

arourapope
07-19-2001, 02:43 PM
:)
You are quite welcome! Lemme know what you wind up doing!
Aurora