PDA

View Full Version : single fruits

artistjan
08-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I have been trying to figure out how to use complemetary colours and shadows. These are three separate paintings - 5x7 ovals.

A Pear, an Apple and an Avocado. I am still not good at the shadows but I am trying! How do the fruits look to you? Do the backgrounds work?

Thanks for all comments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2003/15037-abstract_024.jpg

Mistrimeat
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Wow, the apple looks photorealistic!

artistjan
08-15-2003, 04:20 PM
:) thankyou

talkingbanana
08-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Looks good!

I don't suppose you could give us some bigger pictures, maybe take pics of them individually . . . or at 5x7, scanning them may be better. I'd love to see the texture, what I can see intrigues me.

The cast shadow the apple throws seems way too green and the pear's a bit too red, but that may just be the small pictures and my tired eyes playing tricks on me after a long first week of school.

Good job! :)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - the backgrounds work. Especially the apple's. I'm not fond of the avacado's background, but it works - just not my color, heh.

artistjan
08-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Your wish is my command...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2003/15037-abstract_032.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2003/15037-abstract_033.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2003/15037-abstract_034.jpg

artistjan
08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree with you about the shadows having toomuch red/green in them - I can tone that down. Thanks ms banana ;)

talkingbanana
08-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Ah, much better.

Love the textures! The apple is so glossy and life-like; I could reach out and touch the avacado.

Not meaning to be nit-picky, but watch the shape of your shadows; the pear's doesn't read right. Maybe it's something about the lighting that's wonky and you're just painting what you saw, or maybe it's the oval canvas lining up with the edge of the shadow that's throwing me off.

Yeah, I think that's it - the shadow seems like it was squished to fit on the canvas.

Overall, fantastic job. :D :clap:

artistjan
08-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I don't mind you being nit-picky at all. I was not happy with that shadow either - in fact what I have done now is shortened it a little so it is a small shadow due to light coming from above - which it was actually since I painted last night in the kitchen!

Thank you for complimenting the textures! That was something I felt I couldn't do very well - I have learned something here methinks :)

Marty C
08-15-2003, 09:35 PM
That is one fine looking apple, really well done. I see what you said about overhead light, but looking at the highlight on the apple it seems that the light is coming from over my left shoulder, yet the shadow is in front of the apple.
Personally, I find shadows fascinating and very difficult to get just right. Before I started painting a shadow was a shadow, no big deal, but now, look at the colour in that shadow and see how that shadow falls and overlaps! Wonderful, tricky stuff. Your use of colour in these shadows is great, probably more than I am game to use but it illustrates your point beautifully.:)

shirleyq
08-15-2003, 09:46 PM
All three seem so be standing on top of the canvas!!! Good job. AAHHH shadows and lights, they can make or break a painting don't you think?
Try to soften the edge of the shadow on the pear and I think you will like it better.:)

artistjan
08-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Marty - you are right - what a twit I am not to think of that! The light was indeed in front of the apple yet I stupidly painted a generic shadow at the front! I couldn't actually see its real shadow :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out!

Shirley - thank you! I have now changed the pear's shadow and it looks better.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

arlene
08-16-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by JMF
Marty - you are right - what a twit I am not to think of that! The light was indeed in front of the apple yet I stupidly painted a generic shadow at the front! I couldn't actually see its real shadow :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out!

good eye marty...i basically said the same thing in the still life forum.

Lady Carol
08-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Nice trio Jan. I think you have achieved convincing fruit. I particularly like the apple:clap: :clap:

artmidwife
08-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Great work, and wonderful comments. This is a very helpful thread.

Lisa

ps-check out the new project called Rock Painting

artistjan
08-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Thank you Carol and Lisa! Here are the updated paintings - with adjsuted shadows :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2003/15037-fruit_002.jpg

thewanderess
08-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Nice painting.
Especially the apple looks very edible.
I have a hard time doing shadows, so I'm saving this thread for further reference. Thanks for sharing
dina

talkingbanana
08-17-2003, 10:50 PM
The apple shadow looks much better. :clap:

Watch the pear, still doesn't read quite right . . . I don't know, it might just be me . . .

artistjan
08-17-2003, 11:34 PM
I'm watching it but it isn't moving.... ;)

Actually I think what you are not liking about the shadow of the pear is the fact that the bottom of the shadow exactly follows the curve of the canvas.

Thanks, dina - it is another lesson learnt for me too :)