PDA

View Full Version : Can't let go of reality...

Fmalo
08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Could this, in any way, be construed as abstract? I can't approach realism & I believe my admiration for the impressionists shows.

It's an 8" x 10" oil on stretched canvas

What do you think?

Keith Russell
08-14-2003, 05:18 PM
FMalo:

I believe that, in truth, all art is abstract. Even 'realist' works of art are the result of a process of abstraction.

I view 'realism' or 'abstraction' as an entire range of degrees, from hyper-realism all the way to the other end of the spectrum, non-objective/non-representational art--

--and all points in between.

Your piece is not photorealist in nature, nor is it non-representational.

It's somewhere in the middle. But, it is abstract--

--but then, it's all abstract.

K

Maysun
08-15-2003, 02:37 AM
:D :D :D :D

Maysun:)

Fmalo
08-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the funny - I won't bother you again

heh
08-16-2003, 10:52 AM
a hot one
iím not sure what, but something really draws me to this
that blue in the center
itís absorbing
you have a nice distinct brush stroke

Tamana
08-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Keith wasn't being cruel. He was just being honest. I mean NONE of us have the capability to create "realism." It's just a creation, a duplicate regardless of the skill or quality. He was saying that this piece does belong here just as any other.

I didn't initially answer because I am new really to art compared to the veterans here. I wanted to gather their take on your question. Personally, I would like to see more of what you do and I hope you will post more here. You're not bothering anyone.

brushstroked
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Yes, your admiration of the impressionists shows.
It's lovely. Keep posting.

Maysun
08-16-2003, 12:42 PM
I think Fmalo meant me, not Keith.

Fmalo, I sincerely apologize if I've hurt your feelings. I swear I was not being funny regarding your work. Please do not stop posting on account of this misunderstanding.

Recently there has been much discussion concerning realistic versus abstract art - perhaps a little more than necessary - and I thought here we go again with that discussion. That's all.

Once again, it wasn't about your work. I like the impressionists myself - they're the reason I started painting - and maybe, if you don't stay mad at me, we can talk about them and your working technique.

And another thing - I know he can look after himself rather well - but please don't be mad at Keith either - he's honest, like Tam already said, and basically well-meaning.

Like we all are here:) ....... most of the time :)

I really hope to see you around again.

Maysun :)

Fmalo
08-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Sorry for flying off the handle.

Keith said absolutely nothing wrong & Maysun's repsonse was meant for Keith, which I now understand.

My rice paper thin ego caused the response from me & it was entirely unwarranted. Please accept my apologies.

And, thanks to the other responders for their helpful comments.

alfaro
08-16-2003, 08:07 PM
thats the real deal
thats great

ed